The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What is 'The Bunker Group' & how does one join it?
The Bunker Group is an invitation only group. Prospective members are suggested by current members and then their application is subject to current membership approval. Reasons have to be given for ones approval or rejection of a proposed member.

swerve

Super Moderator
Interesting article at CTV News on the CSC

Troy Crosby of the defence dept states

"...current plan is to start cutting steel on the first new warship as scheduled in 2023-24, while work on the final design continues. "

"...said the British and Australian experiences have shown that construction of the new vessels will take 7 1/2 years

"...first ship being delivered to us in the early 2030s. ... In this case, we're really more specifically looking at the 2030-31 timeframe."

I'm not doing the math(these dates seem to drag on), but the last Halifax class ship will be pretty old by the time the last csc is built

edit this should be in the RCN thread. perhaps the mods can move it?
The Italian FREMMs have taken from 3.75 to 5.25 years (first of class) from laying down to commissioning. The T45s took from under 6 to 6.5 years. The first F125 took 7.75 years (over 2 years late) after being refused & sent back for remediation.

The UK's Type 26s have been attracting a lot of unfavourable comment on the slowness ot the build, & suggestions that it's been deliberately stretched out, because of the apparent lack of activity around the ships. ISD has been put back a lot from the original plan.

Significantly less than 7.5 years should be achievable I think, if wanted & planned for.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Italian FREMMs have taken from 3.75 to 5.25 years (first of class) from laying down to commissioning. The T45s took from under 6 to 6.5 years. The first F125 took 7.75 years (over 2 years late) after being refused & sent back for remediation.

The UK's Type 26s have been attracting a lot of unfavourable comment on the slowness of the build, & suggestions that it's been deliberately stretched out, because of the apparent lack of activity around the ships. ISD has been put back a lot from the original plan.

Significantly less than 7.5 years should be achievable I think, if wanted & planned for.
Unfortunately, the media jump on soundbites & while they may be based on factual numbers, a lot of understanding needs to be applied.

In the case of Type 26, it is a COMPLEX warship that has been in design from its initial concepts as far back as 2010. This is nothing new as many complex warships go through a similar process, with similar timescales. It also has had delays put into the programme by its UK customer to cover some of the costs (i.e UK PLC slowing down spending as they didn't have the funds) & it's also trying to integrate new equipment & new technologies, along with a different manufacturing process. Add to this the changes made in the UK to current evolution of the RN Fleet & it is obvious why the initial 2023 In-service date has slipped. First of type / First of Class also take the longest time to build, with each subsequent ship in the line taking less time, as techniques are refined & issues ironed out.

As for the CSC variant of the T26, delays in the programme are only to be expected, as the design is 'Canada-ized' (different equipment from different suppliers, all arranged to meet Canada's needs). Hunter will be no different, as both, although based on Type 26, will not be carbon copies.

swerve

Super Moderator
So - a complex ship, design changes, & a deliberately slow build for current financial reasons. The third is definitely avoidable (& the others should affect 2nd & subsequent ships of each variant less than the first.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lancaster gets fifty cals :

I'm given to understand that the M2 is replacing the minigun in service on a 1:1 basis as the minigun has been withdrawn from army service, leaving the RN potentially bearing the sole burden for the supply chain. Additionally, in naval use, the fifty cal probably has the edge - the minigun can't for example, be used to fire warning shots.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
A three year old article.

HMS Dauntless is currently undergoing modification.

I think Dauntless is back at sea on acceptance trials actually - she's due back in service later in 2021.

Hope they issued a new set of charts as the crew have been going around Portsmouth harbour for the last however long :)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An article on the Type 32. Yes its a newspaper article from Portsmouth but it is quoting the pommy PM and some others, so worth taking a note of. Of note was this in an announcement by the government quoted in an earlier edition of the newspaper (19/11/2020) "... the government also announced it will ‘commit to the next generation Type 32’ frigate." The UKDEFSEC is quoted as saying this year that "The Type 32 we hope will come further along from the Type 31. The Type 31 is only five ships. The Type 32 will hopefully follow a similar track." and Boris the PM "... has ‘committed’ to the Type 32 and said the increased funding and warship numbers would ‘restore Britain’s position as the foremost naval power in Europe'." Of course being pommy pollies we have to take this with a large dose of salt.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of buzz words but not a lot of content. Kinda reads like "build me five ships...we'll work out what they're for, later.

If they are intended to be for remotely operable kit, I'd say big is best. There are literally no downsides to more tons if the effectors are remote from the mothership,

We'll see where the politics go but I'm still quietly betting on a run-on order for more Arrowhead 140 (because it already has plenty of space)

We'll see I guess - but the article doesn't give me much hope to be honest.

Musashi_kenshin

Lots of buzz words but not a lot of content. Kinda reads like "build me five ships...we'll work out what they're for, later.
There's nothing new there from what I saw. This is previous speculation repackaged. Really there's no point in speculating at least until after the defence review, which is likely to have some reference to what the Type 32 will be.