The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have only x1 thing to say & it's in the form of a video....

Rapid launch of loyal wingman style ucavs to support F-35? What are the recovery parameters of a similarly sized ucav?

Could see these being used for CAP, surveillance, reconnaissance etc. Leaving the F-35 for more complex duties. Another thought is they could be used in numbers on a smaller, simpler platform than the QEs, perhaps a belated replacement for Ocean as well as the LPDs.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, 47000 lbs would manage an MQ-25 Stingray quite handily. Which would get you air to air tanking plus a few other interesting opportunities.

We'll have to see what happens when the bids come in.

Between that and the mysterious Type 32, it's hard keeping up with stuff right now :)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
True or false ?

If so has no sense to maintain 2 carriers for only 48 fighters to be Shared by R.N. and RAF.

I hope the next defence review is not one more time a cuts review.
Best to wait for the actual announcement. The proposed EMALS lite proposal might be part of this restructuring. Two carriers are still needed for redundancy.

t68

Best to wait for the actual announcement. The proposed EMALS lite proposal might be part of this restructuring. Two carriers are still needed for redundancy.

Yes correct, I think this is more of a case that government has leaked it to test the reaction (I cant confirm it) from memory it was envisioned that only one carrier would be operational at any one time 2 carrier in an emergency, but one would think if two were needed 72 air-frames would be the bare minimum after all there size was built around 36 F35B plus support aircraft. I could understand it if the intention was to sell one off

hauritz

The 138 was always an aspirational number so I don't see why there would even be any need to change that figure at this stage. The final number that the UK will actually end up with has never been set in stone but with the advent of the Tempest program it looks unlikely that the full 138 would ever have been acquired. At the moment the UK is only committed to 48 F-35B aircraft which isn't enough for two large carriers.

The minimum buy I have seen being tossed around at this stage is around 72 aircraft.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
True or false ?

If so has no sense to maintain 2 carriers for only 48 fighters to be Shared by R.N. and RAF.

I hope the next defence review is not one more time a cuts review.

Could be read a half dozen ways. Bear in mind, over the years I've read (in that same publication) that the carriers :

would be scrapped prior to build
Be immediately mothballed on completion
Be sold off to (insert boogeymen country)

Firstly, F35 will be in production for another 20 odd years - so, any announcement about numbers can easily be overtaken by a future decision by an incoming administration.

Secondly, it's not uncommon for spurious "nightmare condition" leaks to be provided to various publications - usually "the SAS will be scrapped" or "the Red Arrows will be disbanded" etc. Then, when it's announced we're mothballing a frigate and closing an old air base, everyone heaves a sigh of relief.

Finally, maybe they're going for a split buy ? No more than 48 F35B plus a stack of A's ?

The 138 was always an aspirational number so I don't see why there would even be any need to change that figure at this stage. The final number that the UK will actually end up with has never been set in stone but with the advent of the Tempest program it looks unlikely that the full 138 would ever have been acquired. At the moment the UK is only committed to 48 F-35B aircraft which isn't enough for two large carriers.

The minimum buy I have seen being tossed around at this stage is around 72 aircraft.
My understanding that 70 ish aircraft was the minimum to meet work share agreements but if the US is reducing its order this maybe moot?
Lockhheed will taking a hard turn on this.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
True or false ?

How big the chances that RAF will let all F-35B operate by RN Air Wing if the number will only be either 48 or 72?

After all with that numbers, basically it's only enough to fill the two carriers operation. Will RAF agree to let their ego down and stick with Eurofighter and Tempest later on, and let RN operate all F-35B ?

the concerned

These so called leaked stories sound nothing other than each head saying what they think should be cut. Like the RN saying cut tanks, the Army say cut f35 's and Raf cutting the assault ships.

south

How big the chances that RAF will let all F-35B operate by RN Air Wing if the number will only be either 48 or 72?

After all with that numbers, basically it's only enough to fill the two carriers operation. Will RAF agree to let their ego down and stick with Eurofighter and Tempest later on, and let RN operate all F-35B ?
RN doesn’t have the numbers or organisational experience to operate F-35 by themselves, and even if such a decision were to be made it would take them some time to build to be an effective force.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
RN doesn’t have the numbers or organisational experience to operate F-35 by themselves, and even if such a decision were to be made it would take them some time to build to be an effective force.

Wot he said - the FAA has really no recent fast jet experience as an organisation and they're reliant on the RAF for maintainers, pilots, the works.

It'll improve now the FAA actually has a career path for fast jet pilots again.

south

Wot he said - the FAA has really no recent fast jet experience as an organisation and they're reliant on the RAF for maintainers, pilots, the works.

It'll improve now the FAA actually has a career path for fast jet pilots again.
It’s more than just pilots (as you said). The RN would also be significantly short on maintainers and in particular staffing (E.g all the roles that are done in positions such as the Abbey Wood, lightning force HQ, Air Warfare Centre, and ACURL).

A full transfer F-35 to RN would not be viable without most or all of these bodies transferring from the RAF. For these reasons it is a non-starter of an idea, at least in the medium term.

Last edited:

t68

It’s more than just pilots (as you said). The RN would also be significantly short on maintainers and in particular staffing (E.g all the roles that are done in positions such as the Abbey Wood, lightning force HQ, Air Warfare Centre, and ACURL).

A full transfer F-35 to RN would not be viable without most or all of these bodies transferring from the RAF. For these reasons it is a non-starter of an idea, at least in the medium term.
They have had joint force harriers, I don’t really see the problems of a joint maintenance depot, yes initially it will be reliant on RAF until the RN builds up a cadre of staffing. Not an insurmountable problem to me.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
transfer F-35 to RN would not be viable without most or all of these bodies transferring from the RAF.
yes initially it will be reliant on RAF until the RN builds up a cadre of staffing
I'm not following RN FAA much, but isn't during 3 Invincible Class time, FAA able to maintain similar numbers of Sea Harrier (around 40-60 if not mistaken from infos that I got) by their own?

From what I gather, current FAA organization is winding down due to the numbers of Fighters being allocated to them. However if looking back to the time of full Sea Harrier force they're handling at that time, surely it won't be that much problem to regain that organisational capabilities?

I'm thinking more on efficiency if VTOL handle by FAA (as RN that still need it). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got impression the RAF interest on VTOL more due to situation in West Germany against East Germany and Warsaw Pact. With the landscape of Euro are different now, is RAF really still interested with VTOL? Isn't RAF actually more interested to F-35A instead B, and only accept B as compromise ?

So perhaps it's also more effective if RAF as organizational wise focus more on conventional take off Fighters while FAA focus on VTOL.

Last edited:

south

They have had joint force harriers, I don’t really see the problems of a joint maintenance depot, yes initially it will be reliant on RAF until the RN builds up a cadre of staffing. Not an insurmountable problem to me.
Which is why I said medium term. They were still the Junior partner in Harrier as well.

The problem comes with a ‘potential handover’ is that still leaves you significantly short of number of professionals that are in the essential, but out of sight, jobs such as capability/requirement jobs, engineering/airworthiness/capability assurance jobs, development/trials/tactics jobs, and lastly headquarters, etc.

As you said none of this is insurmountable however the RN are providing (something like) 40% of the front line staffing, which of 3 Squadrons (4 if you count 17Sqn in the US) is going to leave them short around two-three hundred trained people. Note this is just at a squadron level, not counting staff and HQ jobs).

The RN is not structured, and couldn’t be for a significant time, to run F-35 by themselves.