The new members introduction thread.

Depot Dog

Please can someone adjudicate on acceptable language. In a recent RAAF post I called a collective of people Boof Heads and they should pull their heads in.
The next reply was
don’t think it’s very mature to call other members ‘boof heads’ or tell people to pull their heads in.
Agree or disagree, but better to be respectful don’t you think?

I gave this some thought
1. I deliberately didn't target an individual or group. I thought if I did that was disrespectful and deserved the wrath of the moderators. Only people who indentify would feel discomfort
2. The language I used was normal Australian terms that have been used all last century.
3. This is a miltary forum full of vets and ex service personal. Description of aviation trades like Q___r Trader or BL__K Hander couldn't be used in polite company today. Anyone in the aviation trades would of heard these terms from RAAFSTT to the squadrons. I think knuckle head, boof head and like terms could be used providing it is a term of endearment and in humour.
4. Pull your head in I agree can be extreem but sometimes in business or debate you sometime need to be firm. When every other avenue has been tried sometimes you have to say "Ït's not going to happen and pull your head in"
5. One of my society pet problems at the moment is the cancel culture and woke people. I hope defence talk forum isn't leaning in this direction.

To be in a discussion I acknowledge you can't bully, swear or profanities. It is better to take people with you through the discussion. I agree with the forum rules on this.

I never drank at the officers mess but down the boozer with the troops. In the boozer we would considered these terms wouldn't raised eyebrows.

Regards
DD

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Please can someone adjudicate on acceptable language. In a recent RAAF post I called a collective of people Boof Heads and they should pull their heads in.
The next reply was
don’t think it’s very mature to call other members ‘boof heads’ or tell people to pull their heads in.

I gave this some thought
1. I deliberately didn't target an individual or group. I thought if I did that was disrespectful and deserved the wrath of the moderators. Only people who indentify would feel discomfort
2. The language I used was normal Australian terms that have been used all last century.
3. This is a miltary forum full of vets and ex service personal. Description of aviation trades like Q___r Trader or BL__K Hander couldn't be used in polite company today. Anyone in the aviation trades would of heard these terms from RAAFSTT to the squadrons. I think knuckle head, boof head and like terms could be used providing it is a term of endearment and in humour.
4. Pull your head in I agree can be extreem but sometimes in business or debate you sometime need to be firm. When every other avenue has been tried sometimes you have to say "Ït's not going to happen and pull your head in"
5. One of my society pet problems at the moment is the cancel culture and woke people. I hope defence talk forum isn't leaning in this direction.

To be in a discussion I acknowledge you can't bully, swear or profanities. It is better to take people with you through the discussion. I agree with the forum rules on this.

I never drank at the officers mess but down the boozer with the troops. In the boozer we would considered these terms would of raised eyebrows.

Regards
DD
DD, don't stress about it. I will PM you.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
The next reply was

I gave this some thought

I never drank at the officers mess but down the boozer with the troops. In the boozer we would considered these terms would of raised eyebrows.

Regards
DD
DD,

Considering you’ve ‘partially’ quoted my comment from the RAAF thread, it’s probably a good ideal that we see the exact ‘full’ quote of what I wrote, three short paragraphs:

“Whilst we can all disagree with members points of view or posts, strongly or otherwise, or conversely agree.

“I don’t think it’s very mature to call other members ‘boof heads’ or tell people to pull their heads in.

“Agree or disagree, but better to be respectful don’t you think?”

At no stage did I suggest that you don’t put your views or points across strongly or without conviction, we can all agree or disagree with another members post/point of view.

I simply made the point that it could be made without calling other members boof heads, etc, especially in an open/public forum.

Anyway, I think you’ve taken my comment too much to heart and over reacting a tad too much.

if you want to PM me, do so, or just let it go, ok?

Cheers,

beseda2004

Sup guys, thanks for approve

Not mil member, more like mil history enthusiast & recently bookwriter

Have huge collection of couple specific military conflicts - Afghan war, Ukrainian peacekeeping units and Soviet 50-60s

Redlands18

Sup guys, thanks for approve

Not mil member, more like mil history enthusiast & recently bookwriter

Have huge collection of couple specific military conflicts - Afghan war, Ukrainian peacekeeping units and Soviet 50-60s
Welcome to Defencetalk, friendly advice, make sure you read the rules, the Mods are very tough and take some time to read through threads that you are interested in. Its a great education and will give you an idea of how this site works.

schoudericrs29

Hello! I am an ordinary civilian, but I am very interested in military discussions, since my colleague about the development of employee monitoring software decided to go to serve in the army, where exactly he did not tell. I hope that this forum will become for me another source of information on military issues, I am worried about him, because he could go somewhere to the war.

Last edited:

DouglasLees

Hello! I am an ordinary civilian, but I am very interested in military discussions, since my colleague about the development of employee monitoring software decided to go to serve in the army, where exactly he did not tell. I hope that this forum will become for me another source of information on military issues, I am worried about him, because he could go somewhere to the war.
Welcome. Fellow civilian with military interests. Which ‘war’ might your friend be involved in?

DAVID DUNLOP

Hello schoudericrs29! Nice to have you as a new forum member. As a "Canuck" I am interested in all things Naval as I was in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) for longer than I care to say. Where might you hail from mate? Just remember to play by the rules and you should do fine (I haven't been so lucky with that). Remember what ever you say or do, someone is just waiting for you to S#@ew up. Always..... & I mean always....back up what you say. Other than that, you should do fine. You can find me on the RCN thread about the new CSC Frigate program. Cheers, and again welcome!:)

schoudericrs29

Hello schoudericrs29! Nice to have you as a new forum member. As a "Canuck" I am interested in all things Naval as I was in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) for longer than I care to say. Where might you hail from mate? Just remember to play by the rules and you should do fine (I haven't been so lucky with that). Remember what ever you say or do, someone is just waiting for you to S#@ew up. Always..... & I mean always....back up what you say. Other than that, you should do fine. You can find me on the RCN thread about the new CSC Frigate program. Cheers, and again welcome!:)
Hey! Thank you! I'm from Kansas, but I don't serve.

DAVID DUNLOP

Hey! Thank you! I'm from Kansas, but I don't serve.
"Hey, Kansas is a great state! Don't fret about not serving. People "serve" in different ways. There are plenty of "military" threads on this forum. You could spend days just going through and looking at everything here! Just remember, if you wish to answer any member with thoughts of your own, make sure you quantify your thoughts with justifications for your thoughts. If you want to give an opinion, that's fine. Just start it off with "In My Opinion (IMO) or "to my knowledge" or something like that. If not, the Forum Gods will make sure you do. And don't forget to have fun!;)

DouglasLees

I can't even imagine, there are so many of them now, and he was silent like a partisan.
Good afternoon Sir

Your profile says that you are based in France and so I was thinking of the presence of French forces in the former West African colonies, especially Mali. However you have now said that you are in Kansas. ...
I mentioned that I am like you a civilian with military interests. The nearest I came to military service was the Corps at High School (private boys’ school in England) and at university (a men’s college).

Welcome to the forum anyway. ...

DouglasLees

Re. the term Canuck: I understand it as a generic term for a Canadian and most often used in a military context. However I think there is a similar-sounding word for a French speaking Ontarian - am I right about this?

schoudericrs29

Good afternoon Sir

Your profile says that you are based in France and so I was thinking of the presence of French forces in the former West African colonies, especially Mali. However you have now said that you are in Kansas. ...
I mentioned that I am like you a civilian with military interests. The nearest I came to military service was the Corps at High School (private boys’ school in England) and at university (a men’s college).

Welcome to the forum anyway. ...
Yes, you are right, I am in France now, haha, no, this is not an invasion of French troops, I think they would have been hiding, but who knows. I came on a business trip to France for six months.

DouglasLees

No. An Ontarian is just a generic term for anyone from the province of Ontario.
Thank you for that. I was sure there was a special term for a Franco-Ontarian but that’s obviously a false memory! It’s some years since my last visit to Canada and I look forward to going there again in more ‘normal’ times.

Bravonavyzulu

Hello all. I am a long time watcher of this site and felt it time to join the conversation. Only affiliation with defence is I worked on the dismantling of the former HMCS Cormorant but have an interest in naval and marine affairs from Halifax.