The Indonesian Army

Arji

http://instagr.am/p/CfbkmmqPQQq/
Pindad signed another MoU on the development of 8x8 vehicles, this time with an UAE company. I thought they are partnering with Excalibur on this with Pandur, so what's this for? They're developing a brand new vehicle? I doubt it. Maybe PT Pindad is trying to find a supplier? Maybe anyone with insight to the business side of things can give some clarification.

Sandhi Yudha

Sandhi Yudha

Photos of TNI-AD/Indonesian army Pandur II 8×8 vehicles start to appear on internet.
It is unclear to me if these are newly delivered Pandurs or the four Pandur II vehicles delivered in 2017.

|"Four Pandurs II 8x8 CZ were received by Indonesia military already back in September 2017, and the vehicle in standard IFV configuration has been presented during Indo Defence 2018 (held from 7th till 10th November in Jakarta). It carries the Ares UT30MK2 unmanned turret mounted with a 30mm cannon; two vehicles are fitted with a Remote Weapons Station mounted with 12.7mm machine gun, and the last vehicle is a Fire Support Vehicle (FSV) fitted with the CMI Defence 105mm turret. All four vehicles have been trialled in Indonesia."|

Also the FGM-148 Javelin is being used during Super Garudashield 2022

Last edited:

deadlast

Photos of TNI-AD/Indonesian army Pandur II 8×8 vehicles start to appear on internet.
It is unclear to me if these are newly delivered Pandurs or the four Pandur II vehicles delivered in 2017.
Those are old photos of the first four (2017) Pandur II 'sample' with dummy turret.

AFAIK currently the only operational Pandur II in the army is Pandur II TCVA (APC version with improved amphibious capability) used by engineering unit as support vehicle for the M3 amphibious rig.

tonnyc

@Sandhi Yudha I've heard nothing. Given the missiles and the hull number, it's probably some kid's CGI design project.

Indonesian Army's ships' hull number is at LII (52) now. A hull number of XX doesn't make sense. The recent 1500 tonne army ships are already called LSTs, so there's no reason why they would call a 115 m ship an LCU.

Sandhi Yudha

|"The issue related to financing the acquisition of Bell 412 EPX for Indonesian Army has been cleared. Wait for Indonesian government to pay the initial payment to make the contract effective. Bell 412 EPX will be supply by Japan. Some aerostructure works will goes to Indonesia."|

This is what the Oracle on Twitter is telling. What's true about this post? Some days ago he told that TNI-AD is looking for 31 new helicopters and that Agusta-Westland tries to sell the EH-101, which is from another class.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Some days ago he told that TNI-AD is looking for 31 new helicopters and that Agusta-Westland tries to sell the EH-101, which is from another class.
There're talks on TNI-AD wants more Mi-17V. However with geopolitical situation developing, even if they ('theoritically') can source MIL from Civilian channels (thus 'theoritically' avoiding potential CAATSA), foreign credit line will be more difficult to obtain. As we know MoF prefered using credit line (whether foreign or domestic ones) on financing TNI or other Government bureau procurement. It is more preferable calculation on multi years budget planning.

Thus as TNI-AD still prefered 'rear loading' ramp helicopters (for those above Bell 412 class), it is then 'rumours' AW try to get in into the Indonesian defense market back for AW101. This is after debackles situation with TNI-AU procurement before as VIP helicopters.

All this still 'rumours' in my book as no tentative money trails being prepared for that projects. While Bell 412 EPX already shown money trails being prepared, awaiting for execution. I don't know honestly how AW can try to fill this market, as their products cost much more then Mi-17V but in same time will be not much different in cost with CH-47 (which Boeing already lobby for some time). In sense if going to buy something western that cost much more then Mi-17V, why not then go to CH-47?

That's why 'rumours' circling around as sales people try to build momentums. Remember Twitter guy is 'euro' sales guy also.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
;)
Elbit UT/MT-30 turrets on an Indonesian vehicle. That's interesting. Was it a prototype?
No it is not Elbit UT-30, but Brazilian Ares UT-30MK2.

Whether it is actually Brazilian Ares is license build or assemble from Isreal Elbit, doesn't matter. Officially Indonesia sources the system from Brazil not Israel. I gave bit hint to Ngati on Indonesian policy on defense article procurement from Israel in Indonesian AF thread.

Last edited:

deadlast

;)

No it is not Elbit UT-30, but Brazilian Ares UT-30MK2.

Whether it is actually Brazilian Ares is license build or assemble from Isreal Elbit, doesn't matter. Officially Indonesia sources the system from Brazil not Israel. I gave bit hint to Ngati on Indonesian policy on defense article procurement from Israel in Indonesian AF thread.
Yeah, reminds me of the latest Pindad SS2-V5 A1 rifle series "furniture" where some of them were in fact custom order F.A.B. Defence product ordered via Italian company Fratelli Tanfoglio.

Arji

There are pictures of Badak 6x6 with SPAAG turret showing up online.

This is probably just slapped on there for demonstration purposes, with no regards whether it will work well or not. Cause I doubt with Badak you can carry that manny ammo with in it. I do think it will go better in a Pandur though, if it can fit.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

There are pictures of Badak 6x6 with SPAAG turret showing up online.

This is probably just slapped on there for demonstration purposes, with no regards whether it will work well or not. Cause I doubt with Badak you can carry that manny ammo with in it. I do think it will go better in a Pandur though, if it can fit.
What kind of turret is it? It looks similar to the Oerlikon Skyshield 35 mm. An Oerlikon Skyshield can be compact enough to fit on the Pindad Badak, even with the 252 pieces of 35 mm rounds. I only worry about the weight, an empty Badak seems to be aroubd 12.500 kg, and an Oerlikon Skyshield module is around 5800 kg, thats a lot for such a vehicle.

Like you said, its maybe better to use a heavy 8×8 APC (like the Patria AMV, ARTEC Boxer and FNSS Pars) as platform. But how about the FCS, which uses an X-band search and tracking radar/TV and/or laser/FLIR? Another vehicle is really required for it.

Last edited:

Arji

What kind of turret is it? It looks similar to the Oerlikon Skyshield 35 mm. An Oerlikon Skyshield can be compact enough to fit on the Pindad Badak, even with the 252 pieces of 35 mm rounds. I only worry about the weight, an empty Badak seems to be aroubd 12.500 kg, and an Oerlikon Skyshield module is around 5800 kg, thats a lot for such a vehicle.

Like you said, its maybe better to use a heavy 8×8 APC (like the Patria AMV, ARTEC Boxer and FNSS Pars) as platform. But how about the FCS, which uses an X-band search and tracking radar/TV and/or laser/FLIR? Another vehicle is really required for it.
Its not a skyshield. It doesnt use 35 mm, rather its 30mm. Some say its rheinmetall skyprotector which is already shown to be mounted on wheeled apc before.

Sandhi Yudha

Its not a skyshield. It doesnt use 35 mm, rather its 30mm. Some say its rheinmetall skyprotector which is already shown to be mounted on wheeled apc before.
Thank you.

Maybe we need something like the Boxer Skyranger 30. The Skyranger 30 is equipped with a 30 mm autocannon and has its own sensor suite, which consist of an AESA radar, IRST and an electro-optical targeting device with IR camera and laser rangefinders. The system is still in development phase, IOC is planned for 2025.

But something like this will be probably too heavy for the Badak.