The Indonesian Army

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you.

Maybe we need something like the Boxer Skyranger 30. The Skyranger 30 is equipped with a 30 mm autocannon and has its own sensor suite, which consist of an AESA radar, IRST and an electro-optical targeting device with IR camera and laser rangefinders. The system is still in development phase, IOC is planned for 2025.

But something like this will be probably too heavy for the Badak.
I think that you really need an 8 x 8 regardless, because an 8 x 8 can go places that a 6 x 6 can't. On the modern battlefield that may make the big difference.

Sandhi Yudha

I think that you really need an 8 x 8 regardless, because an 8 x 8 can go places that a 6 x 6 can't. On the modern battlefield that may make the big difference.
I was just thinking, you dont see often 10×10 armoured vehicles, the MOWAG Piranha IIIC 10×10 is the only 10×10 APC in existence, as far as i know.

How about this image below? Is it a real 8×8 Pindad prototype?

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
How about this image below? Is it a real 8×8 Pindad prototype?
Sandhi, I'm afraid this photo is already moving around for sometime. It is part on local Fanboys speculation on supposedly Anoa 3 project.

Pindad before Pandur already talk with Indian Tata for Kestrel. Then come out rumours on Anoa 8x8 that's being dubbed by locals enthusiast as Anoa 3. This is where the Photoshop come out before.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was just thinking, you dont see often 10×10 armoured vehicles, the MOWAG Piranha IIIC 10×10 is the only 10×10 APC in existence, as far as i know.
I would think that it would be cost and even though 10 x 10 does have some benefits over 8 x 8 such as:
  • Redundancy of drive assemblies in the case of a drive assembly failure due to combat damage
  • High cross-country mobility with crew comfort
  • Minimal vehicle width for air-transportability (the 10 × 10 model is air-portable in a Lockheed Martin C-130)
  • Enhanced crew protection against mines
  • Increased protection against direct fire. Source: Army Guide
I think that the VfM (Value for Money) isn't enough to make any real acquisitions worthwhile. Even the Swedish military which were the launch customer only took a total of 13 vehicles from an expected order of 44.

Sandhi Yudha

Sandhi, I'm afraid this photo is already moving around for sometime. It is part on local Fanboys speculation on supposedly Anoa 3 project.

Pindad before Pandur already talk with Indian Tata for Kestrel. Then come out rumours on Anoa 8x8 that's being dubbed by locals enthusiast as Anoa 3. This is where the Photoshop come out before.

So this seems to be the real Pindad Anoa 3, which looks really similar to the Panhard VAB Mk.3.
I don't know if the Anoa 3 is a licence made VAB Mk.3 or if the Anoa 3 is a joint development based on Anoa 2 with too much VAB Mk.3 DNA.

Edit:
I just found this video.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Thank you.

Maybe we need something like the Boxer Skyranger 30. The Skyranger 30 is equipped with a 30 mm autocannon and has its own sensor suite, which consist of an AESA radar, IRST and an electro-optical targeting device with IR camera and laser rangefinders. The system is still in development phase, IOC is planned for 2025.

But something like this will be probably too heavy for the Badak.
It seems indeed to be the Oerlikon Skyranger. But in this article they are saying its a 35 mm.

On this video we can see on the placard on the backside, that it was originally a Badak Kanon 90, and probably later modified with the Oerlikon Skyranger.

Panhard confirms tgis is the Anoa 3.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Here some land vehicles news and other things from Indodefence 2022.

POLRI ordered 30 Nurol Makina NMS 4×4 armoured vehicles for its Mobile Brigade.
It seems to be a multifunctional advanced MRAP with modular armour. Perfect for support during natural disasters, SAR in difficult terrain and hunting terrorists in mountainous areas.

Updates about the Anoa 3 and other Pindad news.
- They talking about joint Anoa 3 production with Panhard, but in fact it is licence production.
- Pindad shows some interesting new assault rifles and pistols. The description on the tags/placards is not really clear but i expect these are new SS2 variants.
- The production of 120mm munitions HE/HEAT-TP/APFSDS for Leopard 2 in cooperation with GIAT (already announced earlier this year).

We also see the PAL stand with a model of a 163 m version of the Makassar Class of LPDs, their amazing 143 m National Destroyer, and for some reason PAL seems to be suddenly able to design in house an autonomous underwater vehicle/submarine.
And why they promote the RBS 15 Mk.3 and IRIS-T is totally unclear for me.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have the feeling that the new president-director of PAL has a little bit fanboyism.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
7f5b0c314f41d399a63b0a805aabba7a.jpg

Turkiye media Anadolu put this infographic on what is going to be Pindad Partner for that ITBM 600 MLRS (which Sandhi and Arji talk before in post #1,121-1,122). This Long Range MLRS will out reach current Brazilian Astros MLRS in TNI-AD.

This is also aswer the MLRS vehicle on Pindad slide graphics that I put in post #1,110. Well seems Turkiye did won quite a number of effective contract.

Sandhi Yudha

View attachment 49858

Turkiye media Anadolu put this infographic on what is going to be Pindad Partner for that ITBM 600 MLRS (which Sandhi and Arji talk before in post #1,121-1,122). This Long Range MLRS will out reach current Brazilian Astros MLRS in TNI-AD.

This is also aswer the MLRS vehicle on Pindad slide graphics that I put in post #1,110. Well seems Turkiye did won quite a number of effective contract.
Text editing in progress...

So it wasn't just an imaginary program after all, im quite surprised. Here some more details.
The offer seems to be submitted by Roketsan to the main contractor Excalibur company, and the loan to Indonesia will be provided by Czech Eximbank. The main contractor Excalibur signed a contract with the Indonesian Ministry of Defense for the sale. So, there is a chance that the majority of the production of the weaponsystem will be done by Roketsan and Excalibur, with only a very small part by Pindad.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Already few days old, not have time to add all development of signing from Indo Defence. However put this one, as ammo development for Pindad is matter in my opinion. After all it is still their main bread and butter. Thus this signing with Nexter on licensing 120mm for MBT ammo quite matter for them.

FB_IMG_1667825673542.jpg

Put it here, as Pindad show case the kind of 120mm ammo that they're going to license from Nexter.

Talking on Ammo, they are also sign similar agreement with MSM from Slovakia for 100mm, 105mm, 155mm and 122mm MLRS GRAD rocket.

There're several agreement they have sign on that official site article. However I emphasis the ones on ammo as this's still their bread and butter. That agreement with MSM on 122mm GRAD rocket quite interesting. Is this means the 122mm indigenous rocket project for MLRS (RHAN 122) going to be hold ? Are they not showing results as expected ? Or simply realisation that asside indigenous design MLRS rocket, proven design need still to be sources.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
With all agreement between Indonesia Defense Industry with Turkiye, Frenchie, UAE, US,Czech, Slovakia OEM, something must give also to Russia and China. Is part of Indonesia balancing defense strategy.

Whether all this agreement can come to effective contract, remain to be seen. However some agreement must be made. In Indonesian Air Force thread, I already put DI bring Russian Irkut for potential Yak 130 collaboration. Yesterday Pindad official site put article on agreement with China Norinco for join ATGM development.

This whole agreements part of Indonesian defense industry effort getting licensing collaboration with foreign defense partners that already shown working products.

More likely the agreement will be based on Norinco HJ-12E. Something actually can be said (as with Turkiye or East European), Indonesia looking for more 'economics' solutions.

tonnyc

That agreement with MSM on 122mm GRAD rocket quite interesting. Is this means the 122mm indigenous rocket project for MLRS (RHAN 122) going to be hold ? Are they not showing results as expected ? Or simply realisation that asside indigenous design MLRS rocket, proven design need still to be sources.
The brochure displayed at Dahana (the explosive manufacturer) says development of the RHAN 122 will continue in order to improve accuracy. I am guessing they want a better CEP radius?

It's possible that part of the deal with MSM is to get parts and expertise to help with that.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
possible that part of the deal with MSM is to get parts and expertise
I tend to see on this point. Rumours talk this agreements in Indo Defence, being also use to prop up the 'indegenous' projects including those being tounted before as reverse engineering project.

Personally the way I see it with those agreements, is acknowledgement from Indonesian defense industries. Acknowledgement they are basically (on tech stages) still either as sub contractors or license manufacturer. Not strong enough yet on developing tech based on their own yet.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 49858

Congrats — happy for Indonesia to have made a decision to acquire a medium range strike asset that is superior to 122mm MLRS. TNI AD just needs to work on integrating the sense portion, of sense & strike for the Khan missile going forward.

122mm MLRS has a poor CEP & short range, making it limited in usefulness from my point of view.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI AD just needs to work on integrating the sense portion, of sense & strike for the Khan missile going forward.
There are two deal that actually Roketsan-Excalibur team up got for TNI-AD. Khan base ITBM 600 MLRS and Hisar based Trisula Med-Long Range SAM. All their system will have to be integrating with Scytalys Network with all different systems from various vendors. As someone that have involved in integrating network systems from few vendors within 'relative' much smaller banking environment, I just can imagining how Scytalys will have herculean task to combine them.

Take in Integrating Air Defence network. Imagine networking this Trisula HISAR-Ratia based system from TNI-AD, with TNI-AU NASAMS Kongsberg-Raytheon based system then later on (as Rumours talk) with TNI-AL MICA-ASTER MBDA-Thales based system. This is just for Medium-Long Range SAM systems. Not including networking with point based system from various SHORAD systems and GCI radars from various vendors.

I'm just not yet imagine how they are going to integrating various MLRS and Ground Based Artilery systems from TNI-AD and Marines. This Turkiye Khan MLRS going to have work with Brazilian MLRS system and Czech-Russian system on 122mm MLRS. Which also has to work out with 155mm and 105mm guns.

Maybe I'm bit sceptics. Just wondering how they are going to integrate all of this coming from various OEM systems into one integrating network.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Using someone else chasis shown that Pindad automative capabilities still work around as body/frame fabricator. Not much different as coach builders. Not much different then other domestic coach builders that come out with 4x4 Armour Vehicles using Ford F150 chassis.

This is already been done for at least 3 decades, shown Pindad capabilites is not progressing much on that sectors. I suspect this is mostly related to quantity and frequency orders that they have, not justified enough to invest on their own chassis production.

The talk with Czech Tatra on establishing JV, more on production on Chassis from what I gather. Even that I suspect Tatra will demand enough order justification for that kind of Investment. Without enough order frequencies, getting dual bases commercial chassis either from Toyota or Isuzu is the most they can get.