The Indonesian Army

Sandhi Yudha

Again some 'peaceful freedom fighters' in action.
People often complain that Indonesia doesnt do anything to develop the Papua provinces, but it is the OPM who try every time to kill the civillians working on the roads and bridges.

More background information.

An interesting video about Skadron 11/Serbu.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Thats quite an expensive gift.

Is such a gift really necessary? I thought Pindad already developed a new MRAV together with Thales Australia, an APC based on the Australian Defence Industries Bushmaster.

Arji

Thats quite an expensive gift.

Is such a gift really necessary? I thought Pindad already developed a new MRAV together with Thales Australia, an APC based on the Australian Defence Industries Bushmaster.
It's for our UN peacekeepers, I read.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
thought Pindad already developed a new MRAV together with Thales Australia, an APC based on the Australian Defence Industries Bushmaster.

If you see Pindad online page, they already remove Sanca (Pindad planed Bushmaster version) from the available product line. Before Sanca still on the page as part of product line up. It does not automatically means Sanca program already terminated, however it means that product currently unavailable from Pindad line up.

Rumours that Pindad didn't reach agreement with Thales Australia on how far license can Pindad get. Like with Renault Sherpa, Pindad seems got enough license to modified it as Pindad Komodo, including right to sell it as Pindad product.

Looking at article, Prabowo seems wants to talk on procuring Bushmaster directly from Australia. This could potentialy means two thing:
1. The need for MRAP is not that much, thus not justified Pindad to build it's own line, or
2. Pindad will go with another Partner on building their own MRAP line.

STURM

Ananda,

With the gradual introduction of Kaplan in the coming years, what will happen to the 90mm equipped Scorpions? Do they stay on in service?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
With the gradual introduction of Kaplan in the coming years, what will happen to the 90mm equipped Scorpions? Do they stay on in service?
The way I see it from TNI-AD planning, all AMX13-105 and Scorpion 90 still being used for some time. This Kaplan seems going to replace unmodified AMX-13 (the ones with 76mm gun).

Indication why AMX13-105 will still being used for some time, is the effort being done to refurbished them with Pindad. While Scorpion 90 also still in active service, but not under Kostrad anymore. So they're being used by non Kostrad Cavalry Batalion in Kalimantan.

The rumours that actually circulated on Indonesian defense enthusiasts for some time, is whether unmodified Leo2-A4 will be modified to RI standard. Right now only 60% of Leo 2 in TNI-AD inventory already in RI standard.

Some talk on getting more MBT. However with this Kaplan as AMX13 replacement, I'm doubtful on potential additional MBT (although rumours that Rheinmettal already pitching on that). I suspect they will see how the progress on this Kaplan-Pindad medium tank collaboration progressing.

Some rumours already talk on equipping that Medium Tank next batch with120mm gun that Cockerill developing. It's reported that Cockerill claim it will still fit the present turret that used their 105mm version.

Last edited:

STURM

Thank you for that.

I'm interested in your personal opinion and preference. Do you personally agree with the decision to get Kaplan [to perform certain roles] or would you rather have seen more MBTs?

Arji

Thank you for that.

I'm interested in your personal opinion and preference. Do you personally agree with the decision to get Kaplan [to perform certain roles] or would you rather have seen more MBTs?
There is some sense in using the Kaplan as the primary workhorse imo. Its width is narrower, so it could access more backwater roads in Indonesia. It's also lighter, means it can more readily cross the limited bridge infrastructure outside of Java, and probably easier to transport. It's probably cheaper to run than an MBT too.

I think our armor doctrine differs than most MBT-user countries, where they are usually being used as a spearhead in some combined-arms operation, we instead mostly used them as fire support for the pushing infantry.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
interested in your personal opinion and preference. Do you personally agree with the decision to get Kaplan [to perform certain roles] or would you rather have seen more MBTs?
I'm no Defense Proffesional, thus I can only say that TNI-AD already doing media campaign showing their Leo2 capabilities on several Indonesian Terain. They are shown good capabilities to work in typical Indonesian bridges and muddy soft terain. Shown to the public what the critics on limitation of operating MBT in Indonesian terain is not true.

images.jpeg

On the other hand, can you imagined how the furor on German Media if TNI-AD used those against Papuan Insurgencies? I don't see TNI-AD will used that for any insurgencies, especialy Papuan ones is less intensity compared to Aceh and East Timor. However it shown potential political constraint that TNI facing on operating their MBT. Afterall it's what Dutch Politician Geert Wilders and his liberal parties claim when they block selling ex Dutch Army Leo2-A5 before to Indonesia.

Kaplan-Pindad Medium Tank project have one aim to rectified Political Limitations (asside to improve local defense industry). Also it's lighter on logistics to tranport around. If they (Kaplan-Pindad) manage to equiped with 120mm Gun, it also reduce the need for MBT (at least by those Critics that does not like MBT on TNI-AD).

Current Inventory around that can make 2 Battalions of MBT seems enough for time being (especialy if they can retroffited all of them to RI standard). It will give TNI-AD exposure on MBT operational doctrin, which will give them familiarities should they decide on getting more MBT.

So this Kaplan Medium Tank in my opinion is Political Middle ground between those who still critical on operating MBT and those who wants something larger and more capable then AMX13 and Scorpion.

STURM

Different armies have different reasons why they would need light/nediim tanks. Some because the desire something which can be easily moved by air, some because the need a fire support platform to operate in areas with a poor road infrastructure, etc.

In the case of the TNI-AD it's probably a combination of factors, namely something with a lighter footprint to perform the armed recce and fire support role, as part of combined arms formations, in operational circumstances which don't call for a MBT.

Apart from the possible political fallout I would argue that there is zero operational need to employ the Leopsrds against an insurgency.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
from the possible political fallout I would argue that there is zero operational need to employ the Leopsrds against an insurgency.
That's why I said in my post that I don't see any scenario TNI need to put their MBT on any insurgencies. However it's also mean that TNI still facing political constraint on using their own assets on certain scenario within their own country.

That's why I believe this Kaplan-Pindad Medium Tank project aim for. Asside some more logistics burden on transporting them, TNI-AD so far shown in media that their Leo2 is suitable on Indonesian terain. This is just some video available on line in you tube showing TNI-AD MBT working in some rough muddy soft terain in Indonesia.

That's why I see the choice for more MBT is influence more on Political circumstances, and not just TNI-AD tactical need.

ChestnutTree

Ananda,

A few years ago when I used to work directly with PUSENKAV (Indonesian Army Cavalry Center), the initial plan was to gradually phase out the AMX-13 and replace them with Kaplan. The Scorpions wasn't supposed to be phased out completely as to my understanding the 1st Cavalry Battalion was supposed to split and relegate them to several regional military commands.

The rumours that actually circulated on Indonesian defense enthusiasts for some time, is whether unmodified Leo2-A4 will be modified to RI standard. Right now only 60% of Leo 2 in TNI-AD inventory already in RI standard.
When I used to work on the Leopards, there were talks circulating among PUSENKAV officers about going to KMW instead of Rheinmetall for an A6/A7 upgrade on the remaining A4's. Doubtful it will ever be a reality however. We would already be lucky if the the RI's get the remaining modules of the Revolution package.

Some talk on getting more MBT. However with this Kaplan as AMX13 replacement, I'm doubtful on potential additional MBT (although rumours that Rheinmettal already pitching on that). I suspect they will see how the progress on this Kaplan-Pindad medium tank collaboration progressing.
CMIIW but aren't the remaining Bundeswehr Leopard 2 reserve stocks are mostly depleted? Since if that were the case it's very doubtful the TNI AD would willingly spend it's budget on new Leopards when they have other more pressing things to fund.

Some rumours already talk on equipping that Medium Tank next batch with120mm gun that Cockerill developing. It's reported that Cockerill claim it will still fit the present turret that used their 105mm version.
Funny you should mention that, years ago the folks over at PUSENKAV did brought up the idea to work with Cockerill to refit Kaplan with the Leopard's L/44 guns as at the time there was a proposal to refit the Leopards with the L/55.

I know the question was directed to Ananda, but after working with the TNI AD Cavalry for a lengthy period of time I would say I can put some insight into your question.

Long story short, I think that they both have their separate niches that they fill.

For the most part, you shouldn't expect to have FSV's go head to head with MBT's, whereas simultaneously Indonesia has a lot of terrain and landscapes that doesn't permit the TNI AD to effectively or optimally employ the Leopard 2's. Piggybacking off what @Ananda said, it is also more politically safe to employ a "locally made" FSV such as Kaplan to deal with the current challenges and conflicts the Indonesian military is currently facing. Also going back to what I said earlier, the Leopards can't operate within the battlespaces that these conflicts are currently occurring, further necessitating the Army's need for FSV's. Kaplan is also much easier to transport and with parts being produced locally, has a smaller logistical footprint. Kaplan also has the advantage of having the basis to form a common chassis. And if MinDef and Army Chief Andhika Perkasa's plans rings true, we can see the TNI AD employ a common IFV/APC family using Kaplan as a basis, further reducing the TNI AD already bloated logistical footprint.

Simultaneously with the current geopolitical climate in Southeast Asia, the TNI AD knows that it needs some MBT capability (or at least something to effectively counter OPFOR MBT's), hence why they procured the Leopards. One might say that for a country with a geography such as Indonesia, there are probably much more effective alternatives then buying ex-Bundeswehr Leopard 2's. But as you all know, the TNI has a lot of older officers still in service that were trained at a time when strategists were expecting a Soviet push through the Fulda Gap, hence why they were/are adamant with going ahead with the Leopards. This mindset is also why it was only until very recently that the TNI AD isn't keen on employing vehicle's with autocannons.

However, I wouldn't necessarily say that procuring Leopard 2's was a wrong move, since at the end of the day I think we can all agree that the best way to counter a tank is with another tank. Rather I think at the time the Army simply did not know what it was getting itself into. While I was working on them, the Army units assigned to them was still struggling to keep them operationally ready. They had never operated anything of that capacity before and this was 2 years into the Leopard 2's service. Looking at them now, I would say that the TNI AD has definitely learned how to best maintain and employ them through trial and error as well as armor officer training with the SAF and the US. The fact that we see them in regular training use is a good indication that the TNI AD is serious in their employment.

Honestly, my only gripe with them is that to my knowledge the TNI AD has no current plans to develop the Leopard's further, at a time when Indonesia's neighbors are upgrading their respective MBT fleets. The Revolution package fit out that they chose is largely only the AMAP armor packages that Rheinmetall/IBD Diesenroth offered. There is little improvement in electronics and countermeasures apart from the improved driver's camera. You can even see that the commander's sight is still the old original Hensoldt ones from the 80's. And I'm not even sure this would ever change even as Indonesia's peers are looking into things such as fitting out next generation thermals, improved communication systems, or active protection systems. To the public and policy makers however, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference and I fear that the army might slip into complacency about it.

Last edited:

STURM

ChestnutTree,

To the best of your knowledge how popular was the decision to fit a 90mm on the Scorpion? Any complains within the army about weight and agility issues?

ChestnutTree

Well to be fair, the Scorpion procurement was a product of the Soeharto regime's corruption, namely Soeharto's daughter. I would say it's common knowledge around the defense circles here that in the late 80's - early 90's the TNI AD initially planned, inspected, ordered, and payed for Challenger 1's from the UK. However, the product that arrived in Tanjoeng Priok port in 1995 were the Scorpion 90.

So it would be fair to say that a few Army officers and government defense planners were quietly upset about the whole affair.

STURM

My question is whether there was any unhappiness with the decision to fit a 90mm on a hull it was never designed for, making a fast and nimble vehicle into a slow lumbering one which had the potential to roll over if fired on uneven ground. We're there any plans to bin the 90mn and replace with something smaller and lighter?

I had no idea about the Challenger 1s. Thank you for bringing it up. Also, the last orders for vehicles from the Scorpion family was about 10-15 years ago if I'm not mistaken?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Honestly, my only gripe with them is that to my knowledge the TNI AD has no current plans to develop the Leopard's further, at a time when Indonesia's neighbors are upgrading their respective MBT fleets. The Revolution package fit out that they chose is largely only the AMAP armor packages that Rheinmetall/IBD Diesenroth offered.
Thanks on that informative update on Leopard 2 operation in TNI-AD. I agree the best of TNI-AD can hope, if the whole Leopard 2 Fleet being upgrade to full Revolution package. With this Kaplan-Pindad Black Tiger Medium Tank program, I don't see there will be enough political will to get new Leo2.

Funny you should mention that, years ago the folks over at PUSENKAV did brought up the idea to work with Cockerill to refit Kaplan with the Leopard's L/44 guns as at the time there was a proposal to refit the Leopards with the L/55.
The rumours that I got, is from collegues of mine who work with SOE Ministry. On one of Pindad presentation, there's challenge to Pindad to make Black Tiger comparable with Leo2. They simply answer that Cockerill turret can be modified with Cockerill 120mm gun. We know it's not making Black Tiger comparable with MBT like Leo2. However politically any administration can picture that, added with 'Produk Anak Bangsa' (National Product) stamp. Make it strong political incentives.

TNI AD initially planned, inspected, ordered, and payed for Challenger 1's from the UK. However, the product that arrived in Tanjoeng Priok port in 1995 were the Scorpion 90.
Just add there's two stories that I heard in 90's, one UK connection propose Challanger 1 while German connection propose Leopard 1. Both being assesed by TNI. Then our beloved dictator children connection come, and 'whoallaa' Scorpion 90 plus Stromer packages come instead. Then TNI Generals talk in public how Scorpion was more appropriate for Indonesian terain than MBT. That mantra still there when SBY try to bring Leo 2. Some of those old Generals critized publicly on Leo 2 plan.

So to @STURM adding to Chesnut explanation, Scorpion and Stormers are armoured vehicles that being push to TNI-AD. Why there're still operated, simply because on one thing they are still relatively cheaper to operate, and still in good conditions. So wheather TNI-AD actualy like them or not, well it's a bit moot I'm afraid. They have no choice to use them, and will use them until it's break down or until the plan on common FSV/IFV/APC using Kaplan-Pindad platform (as Chesnut mentioned above) available to replace the whole other armoured assets.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

From TNI-AD official video in you tube. This is meeting between Australian Defense Attache and TNI-AD chief of staff. The talk is follow up on Australian donation of 15 Bushmaster for TNI UN Peacekeeping mission. Also the follow up order plan on Bushmaster. The TNI-AD Chief also talk on the interest not only Bushmaster, but also Hawkei.

This talk shown that the procurement seems will be direct and not on co-op with Pindad. Bushmaster and Hawkei are both MRAP capabilities. If they want to bought directly from Australia, perhaps shown urgent need but only on relative few numbers that doesn't justified Pindad own production line.

Or the previous plan on Pindad Sanca (Bushmaster license) still facing some tough commercial disagreement. Will see after this Pindad will continue their negotiations with Thales Australia on Sanca, or try to work out with another partner on their MRAP version. Seems the need for MRAP with TNI is there, eventough it's not clear yet if the amount justifiable for Pindad to open their own MRAP production line.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

national

From TNI-AD official video in you tube. This is meeting between Australian Defense Attache and TNI-AD chief of staff. The talk is follow up on Australian donation of 15 Bushmaster for TNI UN Peacekeeping mission. Also the follow up order plan on Bushmaster. The TNI-AD Chief also talk on the interest not only Bushmaster, but also Hawkei.

This talk shown that the procurement seems will be direct and not on co-op with Pindad. Bushmaster and Hawkei are both MRAP capabilities. If they want to bought directly from Australia, perhaps shown urgent need but only on relative few numbers that doesn't justified Pindad own production line.

Or the previous plan on Pindad Sanca (Bushmaster license) still facing some tough commercial disagreement. Will see after this Pindad will continue their negotiations with Thales Australia on Sanca, or try to work out with another partner on their MRAP version. Seems the need for MRAP with TNI is there, eventough it's not clear yet if the amount justifiable for Pindad to open their own MRAP production line.
TNI-AD is already in the possession of small amounts of Bushmasters, Casspirs, Kozak 2M and First Wins. If the Sanca variant for some reason will be cancelled, then ordering more Bushmasters is understandable. But also
ordering Hawkeis is unnecessary and unlogic, the amount of different types of armoured 4x4 vehicles in Indonesian inventory is already ridiculous.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
But also
ordering Hawkeis is unnecessary and unlogic,
The Australian Defense Attache only talking on Bushmaster offering. The Army Chief that's talk on Hawkei. The standard 4×4 in TNI-AD seems being directed to Komodo, which based on Sherpa. Seems this talk mostly on MRAP vehicle, that Pindad 4×4 products not yet on full MRAP standard yet.