The Indonesian Army

Sandhi Yudha

A certain person on Twitter just got something whispered in his ears....
This is his revelation:
"The future of Russian made Mi-35 and Mi-17 helos in Indonesian military hang on the balance. Initial plan to upgrade those helos is uncertain today. No allocation of fund yet, although previously there were plan to upgrade the helos. Only US made helo will have upgrade program."

- It sounds so sensational, but maybe Penerbad plan to operate the Russian helicopters the next 10-15 years without upgrades until retirement. Or next month the Mi-17V-5 and Mi-35P will get an upgrade after all....its all so mysterious...
- "US made"...totally unclear what he means. All NBell 412 to EPI-level? The brandnew AH-64E doesnt need an upgrade, unless he means that the Apaches without radar will get one installed.

Until other more reliable sources can give us more information, we should regard this statement as his standard-early-morning-i-need-something-to-post-revelation.

Edit. If im not wrong Penerbad still have some old Bell 205s in its fleet, but these are so old, they just have to retire them.

Last edited:

Ananda

If im not wrong Penerbad still have some old Bell 205s in its fleet, but these are so old, they just have to retire them.
That's where the 412 coming in. Basically they're the 205 replacement. After the last 205 accident/crash, the Army talk in media that the remaining 8 of 205 will be hold and reduce from operation. Not long after that, they sign contract with Bell and DI as subcontractor for 9 Bell 412 EPI. Difference on EPI to existing EP in Inventory mostly related to Systems and Avionics. Thus in theory those EP can be upgrade to EPI standard.

Not much different then upgrade existing F-16 to Blk 50+ standard.

Whatever you call on Russian made assets, those Mi-17 are rugged airframe. Despite some accident in Papua, those Mi-17 has shown it worth. I'm not fan on using Russian assets for TNI, mostly due to TNI's supporting infrastructure has been geared for Western made assets for some time. However personally I like those Mi-17, and in my opinion it's better to stick with them.

Last edited:

Ananda

This from KRIS Foundation Facebook Page. Showing 2 Ukraine Kozak 2M MRAP being send to PT. PINDAD facilities. PINDAD already told media sometime ago on their intention to further develop their armoured assets for MRAP capabilities.

Whether this's part of that, or they only bought MRAP from other producers to be used by them for their own development based, still has not been disclose further. All still speculation.

Sandhi Yudha

This from KRIS Foundation Facebook Page. Showing 2 Ukraine Kozak 2M MRAP being send to PT. PINDAD facilities. PINDAD already told media sometime ago on their intention to further develop their armoured assets for MRAP capabilities.

Whether this's part of that, or they only bought MRAP from other producers to be used by them for their own development based, still has not been disclose further. All still speculation.
Completely covered to keep it a secret, but still they want to show off, so they hang a spanduk on the outside... :-D

Some good news...
40 Pindad Maung light tactical vehicles are delivered to TNI-AD.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Ibthi
That's where the 412 coming in. Basically they're the 205 replacement. After the last 205 accident/crash, the Army talk in media that the remaining 8 of 205 will be hold and reduce from operation. Not long after that, they sign contract with Bell and DI as subcontractor for 9 Bell 412 EPI. Difference on EPI to existing EP in Inventory mostly related to Systems and Avionics. Thus in theory those EP can be upgrade to EPI standard.

Not much different then upgrade existing F-16 to Blk 50+ standard.

Whatever you call on Russian made assets, those Mi-17 are rugged airframe. Despite some accident in Papua, those Mi-17 has shown it worth. I'm not fan on using Russian assets for TNI, mostly due to TNI's supporting infrastructure has been geared for Western made assets for some time. However personally I like those Mi-17, and in my opinion it's better to stick with them.
I think Ananda already told it before, these Bell 412 EPIs are not made by IPTN under licence, but fully US-made, and then later customized with armament by IPTN.
I actually dont understand why licence production has ended. Including this order, IPTN could have delivered more than 20 Bell 412 after 2000.

Ahmad

Ibthi
I think Ananda already told it before, these Bell 412 EPIs are not made by IPTN under licence, but fully US-made, and then later customized with armament by IPTN.
I actually dont understand why licence production has ended. Including this order, IPTN could have delivered more than 20 Bell 412 after 2000.

PTDI produces Bell 412 componens and become Bell Global supply chain. Yup, they dont assemble it inside PTDI factory and it has less collaboration compared to Airbus helicopter.

1610581809537.png

tonnyc

I don't know whether Indonesian Aerospace has a license production for Bell 412 EPI, but they do have production license for the Bell 412 EP. It may be that since the EPI is a newer product the license doesn't cover the EPI version, or it might be that as common for new defense systems, the first few will be manufactured in the country of origin while local production will happen latter.

Indonesian Aerospace's license for the Bell 412 did indeed lapse in 2000. Apparently at the time TNI hadn't place any order for Bell 412 for several years due to '98 financial crisis in Asia and thus they let the license lapse. However, in 2010 Indonesian Aerospace re-licensed the Bell 412. The Bell 412 EP was specifically mentioned as covered in the license. You can find quite a few old articles where Indonesian Aerospace delivered Bell 412 EP after 2011 and those articles usually mention licensed production.

The EPI version though was introduced in 2013 and I don't know if they're covered in the license. If it's not I hope Indonesia Aerospace will buy the license for that model too since the market is shifting toward the EPI version.