The Indian Tejas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidewinder2006

Actually I was under the impression sidewinder is comic relief. :eek:nfloorl:

you have failed to know the detailed list of this potential sale of F-16s to PAF.. and perhaps you might understand lil bit of what i am talking about, so please go and visit the site f-16.net and learn the basics.

did you even know that the Israeli Sufa does not carry AESA but the same one as PAF all F-16s are going to the APG-68(V)9 radar! so is Sufa inferior to LCA?? in fact even MKI carries phased array radar!!!

And I am not trying to prove who is inferior to whom..its you who are trying with all bucks in your pocket !!!!!!

I just wanted to made you clear that LCA will be very much viable option against whatever PAF currently has in inventory and will acquire in near future as its performance envelop fall in the same category as a F16 and it carries very much modern avionics which is in the same league and in some cases even better !!Thats it but you just wont understand !

....ufffffffffff and I thought it was a LCA thread !!!!

crobato

isn't the J-10 in operational, active duty, front line fighter???52 are in service in PLAAF.. i dont know how you came to conclusion that the J-10 can only go M 1.8 and has done only 700 hrs of flying..

J-10 01---yes, the very first prototype---did over 2,500 flights alone before it was retired. The plane, identified by its while, blue and red livery, rests somewhere in the CFTC airfield in Shaanxi province, in a dilapidated condition. That's an example that shows the extent of the test flights you have to conduct before a plane is ready, and that's just one plane alone. The numbers of J-10 prototypes alone is more than enough to field a squadron.

crobato

Crobato, Do not look at Tejas as just one platform, but as foundation to aviation research in India. Then you will understand why they chose tough road.
We can certainly understand that. But that does not necessarily mean its the best road by going too ambitious in the first bound. Sometimes more moderate steps should be taken, so you can achieve them easier and in lesser time, and develop a base of successful experience and knowhow, then move into more ambitious projects.

powerslavenegi

We can certainly understand that. But that does not necessarily mean its the best road by going too ambitious in the first bound. Sometimes more moderate steps should be taken, so you can achieve them easier and in lesser time, and develop a base of successful experience and knowhow, then move into more ambitious projects.
You know what crobato if people wish to diss something they would do it anyways heck we have trolls rediculing the F-22 so its not unsual people are losing sleep over Tejas.

Your post is a classic example of the same,if tejas would have been a virtual ripp off of an existing design then people would have rediculed it for being a clone but now if one proves that the design was inhouse and the subsystems and components are contemporary then people bash it for being over ambitious .

And the height of snobbery is that people call the programme delayed while they seem to overlook the fact that even the giant powerhouses like Dassault and EF consortium envisaged the euro canards in the 80's and still in process of inducting the same into their fleet.

Last edited:

powerslavenegi

Lca

For all those who wish to indulge in a unbiased discussion and evaluate the platform then one needs to ponder over following points

1.Yes LCA was envisaged in the eighties ,and would the detractors care to figure as to when were RAFALE and EF chalked out ? and mind you the latter come from aerospace giants with decades of experience in designing and manufacturing A/C.

Wing design: High set compound delta with a CFD optimised camber and twist and unique low sweep leading edge crank (which give LCA its characteristic silhoutte).These are responsible for both control and generation of concentrated vortices during high AOA manuevres.This is functionally similar to a large strake or LERX.The two hollow spill ducts ,next to the leading edge connect to the intake splitter and acts as a suction system for the boundary layer/vortice control and reducing skin drag.

Independently actuated 3 segement slats on each wing increase wing area controlability and lifts at hihg AOA.

Control: Relaxed static stability combined with full authority QFBW controls ensures carefree amnueverability optimal recovery and reduced weight.LCA has very high degree of instability through moving the CG well aft (within elevon limits) for stronger pitching momemts.

The artificial stabilisation also helps to eliminate problems in tailess designs i.e. increased trim drag and inability to trim the additional pitching moments generated by the wing flaps.

for comparasion:
Static Thrust to Weight ratio (50% internal fuel) || Wing loading (Kg/m2)

Rafale-C* : 1.42 (2x Magic-2, 4x MICA-EM) ||272.79

Mirage-2000C : 0.99 (2x Magic-2, 4x MICA-EM) ||236.53

Eurofighter : 1:28 (2x ASRAAM, 4x AIM-120C) ||287.58

Gripen-C : 0.95 (2x AIM-9L, 4x AIM-120C) ||285.23

Tejas** : 1.17 (2x R-73E, 4x Astra) ||197.1

As for the construction using the composites it was deemed appropriate that with the advent of carbon fibre composites approaching structural strength of alloys be used to save weight ,composites being transparent to radar (ofcourse of a particular band depending on the composite used) and free from corrosive issues were other +ives.

The areas experiencing huge drag and thermal stress are fabricated using aluminium alloys and titanium.The overall part count on PV-1 is 700 lowest among all the 4th gen fighters.

As for the avionics :

1.MMR -India
2.Mission Computer-India (same being installed on upgraded Jags and the MKI)
3.HMDS-Elbit
4.LDP-Elta/Rafael
5.DFCC-India
6.HUD-India
7.RWR-India
8.Datalink-India
9.Incom-India
10.Data signal processor-India

As for those who have apprehensions about the quality of the avionics modules from Indian design house well BEL has recently bagged a deal for supplying Anti Infiltration radars to Indonasia what is noteworthy is deal was contested by likes of Raytheon and Thales.

(Info courtsey Radiance of Tejas by B harry Vayu magazine)

crobato

You know what crobato if people wish to diss something they would do it anyways heck we have trolls rediculing the F-22 so its not unsual people are losing sleep over Tejas.

Your post is a classic example of the same,if tejas would have been a virtual ripp off of an existing design then people would have rediculed it for being a clone but now if one proves that the design was inhouse and the subsystems and components are contemporary then people bash it for being over ambitious .
I think no one is complaining about the soft side of the project. Though I am reasonably surprised why the MMR is delayed when the design is actually not too ambitious, quite contemporary in fact, and when it actually plays to their national strengths in software development.

And the height of snobbery is that people call the programme delayed while they seem to overlook the fact that even the giant powerhouses like Dassault and EF consortium envisaged the euro canards in the 80's and still in process of inducting the same into their fleet.
Except that the Eurocanards have already started being inducted, sold to countries, and have already begun the next level of systems integration. The Rafale has already seen some action in Afghanistan years ago.

kams

I think no one is complaining about the soft side of the project. Though I am reasonably surprised why the MMR is delayed when the design is actually not too ambitious, quite contemporary in fact, and when it actually plays to their national strengths in software development.

Except that the Eurocanards have already started being inducted, sold to countries, and have already begun the next level of systems integration. The Rafale has already seen some action in Afghanistan years ago.
AFAIK trouble is in A2G mode, with no prior experience in Air borne radars, it appears that DRDO will opt for ELTA's help.

swerve

Super Moderator
...Except that the Eurocanards have already started being inducted, sold to countries, and have already begun the next level of systems integration. The Rafale has already seen some action in Afghanistan years ago.
Rather more than "started being inducted". Gipen has been in service 10 years, Rafale entered limited service 5 years ago, Typhoon "started being inducted" in 2003, with first CAPs flown by the Italians in winter 2005/6. The 100th production (i.e. excluding prototypes & test aircraft) Typhoon was delivered 10 months ago.

crobato

AFAIK trouble is in A2G mode, with no prior experience in Air borne radars, it appears that DRDO will opt for ELTA's help.
A2G gives you the most problems in terms of development and integration, and is often the last part of the radar and fire control systems to be "fixed" and integrated, and it remains so even with the most experienced of institutions. So no surprise there. Nothing however, that time, effort and money cannot fix.

Once you have developed a "core"---a working design and experience---this "core" can be expanded with increased capabilities, adapted to new array forms, and diversified into different other radars. So its the first step that is the hardest, the rest becomes easier.

powerslavenegi

Yes S/W is not an issue however I am surprised that no one on the forum ever took into consideration the effect of US sanctions on India post 1998,the LCA prgramme was adversly affected by the denial of technology by the US in form i960 processors (yes MMR is designed around the military grade i960) the powerplant GEf404.It is only in the past couple of years that US has slowly started to lift the embargo and the Programme has caught pace.MMR is now on track as BARC hsa delivered the mech steered antenna for the same .

I concede having said that please consider the following

1.Experience and history of A/C making of the likes of Dassault,BAE,EADS and Thales,Selex,marconi vis a vis Indian defense industry .Oh btw the technical assistance and the regular supply of the off shelf components from the United States was not a problem for the Euro-canards unlike the sanction hit
Tejas.

2.Compare the budget allocated for the whole programme for LCA ,mind you while the design and specs demanded are very much upto world standards the money allocated for the same was not even worth mentioning (complete programme cost was 1.2 Billion USD compare that with similar programmes in EU and US)

3.Programme inception: There is lot of misconception about the actual time when LCA was envisaged. In the year 1984 the Aeronautical Development Agency was established to develop the LCA. The ADA is effectively a "national consortium" for which HAL is the principal partner. HAL serves as the prime contractor and has leading responsibility for LCA design, systems integration, airframe manufacturing, aircraft final assembly, flight testing, and service support.

*The IAF's Air Staff Requirement for the LCA was finalised only until October 1985.

*Design was freezed only by 1990.

powerslavenegi

Yes S/W is not an issue however I am surprised that no one on the forum ever took into consideration the effect of US sanctions on India post 1998,the LCA prgramme was adversly affected by the denial of technology by the US in form i960 processors (yes MMR is designed around the military grade i960) the powerplant GEf404.It is only in the past couple of years that US has slowly started to lift the embargo and the Programme has caught pace.MMR is now on track as BARC hsa delivered the mech steered antenna for the same .

I concede having said that please consider the following

1.Experience and history of A/C making of the likes of Dassault,BAE,EADS and Thales,Selex,marconi vis a vis Indian defense industry .Oh btw the technical assistance and the regular supply of the off shelf components from the United States was not a problem for the Euro-canards unlike the sanction hit
Tejas.

2.Compare the budget allocated for the whole programme for LCA ,mind you while the design and specs demanded are very much upto world standards the money allocated for the same was not even worth mentioning (complete programme cost was 1.2 Billion USD compare that with similar programmes in EU and US)

3.Programme inception: There is lot of misconception about the actual time when LCA was envisaged. In the year 1984 the Aeronautical Development Agency was established to develop the LCA. The ADA is effectively a "national consortium" for which HAL is the principal partner. HAL serves as the prime contractor and has leading responsibility for LCA design, systems integration, airframe manufacturing, aircraft final assembly, flight testing, and service support.

*The IAF's Air Staff Requirement for the LCA was finalised only until October 1985.

*Design was freezed only by 1990.

crobato

You only need the military or to be more precise, radiation hardened processors if your radar is already up and flying and into serial production. For prototyping purposes, for software development, bench and static testing, where the radar is in a lab, you don't need the radiation hardened stuff. The i960 is a common microprocessor at that time you can even find in cheap laserjet printers.

What can make you more vulnerable to sanctions is the TWTs or Travelling Wave Tubes. Its the same category of tubes like klystrons and magnetrons that are used to generate microwaves. The commercial stuff are those you see in microwave ovens. But the military grade ones, which has much more higher power, multi-frequency, frequency agility and reliability, that is much more harder to come by and is strictly controlled. If you had a contract with Raytheon to supply the TWTs, an embargo would surely hurt you.

And of course, the ultimate way to go around this issue is to go AESA. Since there are a lot more foundries in the world producing MMICs than factories producing TWTs, going AESA reduces dependencies and vulnerability to sanctions,while offering a lot of other aligning technological advantages.

JP Vieira

Hello
I believe that the decising factor to how good this aircraft will be is the avionics; with a good avionics base this could be a great airplane.
Best regards
JP Vieira

wp2000

Although I am not an Indian, I have been observing LCA for a long time (close to 2 decades). As an ordinary military plane fan, here's my 2 cents casual review of LCA project. A bit lengthy because I do feel that it's not fair to judge any plane with a one-liner:
To examine the whole project in a more detailed level (rather than throwing claims around about small bits and pieces of technical achievments or difficulties), I split the project development into 4 phases: Initiation, R&D and Test Build, Production&Operation, Upgrade&Finalization
1. Initiation phase.
This phase started from the 70s. IA and India's Aero industtry worked together from initial informal queries to a formal agreed and detailed requirement. It ends sometime in the mid 80s.

For this phase, I put IAF as the main responsible entity.

My Verdict: Not bad at all. Compared to China, as far as I know, India followed a more formal and standard process. whereas most of China's 50-70s projects were started in very adhoc ways and lack proper project management procedures.
The only thing negative I can see is that, similar to many other Indian defence projects, India thinks too much and spends too much time thinking. There are many things that can only be find out or sort out when you move to the next step. Keep on thinking just waste your time and resources.

2. R&D and Test Build phase.
I split this phase into Research, Design and Test sub phases. I know many indian forumites argue that LCA only started in 1993 when the governemnt sanctioned the money to make test planes. But I don't want to struggle on the definition of a project's beginning. In my view, all projects have similar phases starting from Initiation. We need to examine all of them to have a complete view.

I put the Indian Aero industry as the main responsible entity for this phase.

A. Research sub-phase
This is roughly between 1983 to late 80s.
Verdict: not too bad. I don't see many negative news or evidences in this phase. Most modern plane projects take this amount of time or event longer to finish this stage. But, problems and delays showed up in the later stages indicate that this step's works may not be deep enough to reveal all the uncertainties and critical difficulties.

B. Design sub-phase
This is from late 80s to 1993 (when the design was freezed).
Verdict: Good, even compared to any other countries' projects. The project progressed relatively smooth and fast, although arguablely people may say afterwards that it'd better to spend longer time to review the design and the required technical preparations.

C. Test build and trial sub-phase
This is from 1993 till now.
Verdict: Delayed significantly, Problems and grey areas hidden in the previous stages starting to be exposed but not managed very well.
This is the stage that got most critics for:

a. Maiden Flight took 5 years (1996-2001) to happen after the first planse rolled off the assembly line in 1996. I put US sanction as the main reason behind it. But it still highlights management problems, because the santion was triggered by India's own nuke test action. LCA was not prepared for it.

b. Then since 2001's maiden flight, the test flight process is progressing very slow, comparing to most other similar projects. I put the project management as the main reason for these problems. The most quoted arguements are:

1) IAF changes requirments. But sorry, this is normal in any projects' development and happens a lot. That's exactly the management team's job to negotiate and to reach a new agreed plan. Then once the IAF's new requirements are accepted, you only got yourself to be blamed for any unplanned delays.

2) "You fans don't konw how difficult it is to do this or do that in LCA". This question should really be raised to the LCA management rather than to fans, especially Indian tax payers. The management are the ones who really need to know the answer. But unfortunetely they seem to have a problem here, otherwise they wouldn't come up with all the unrealistic deadlines repeatedly. Seriously, I believe the management team do know the challenges, if not 100%. But the worring thing is, (only to Indians), they still keep on giving out deadlines that can not be met. Has anyone cross checked the new "To happen" list in the AFM's March or April issue?

3) IAF does not drive, push or support the project enough. This is a typical excuse. ADA or DRDO are not 5-year old boys who needs somebody to kick tail to do things. This R&D phase is mainly in their court. Also, frankly speaking, compared to many other countries's project, IAF and Indian government's support have been very strong if not among the strongest. It would've been cancelled in many other countries;On the contrary, IAF has ordered 20 LCAs when LCA only clocked 700 flights and no radar and weapon in flights yet. That's really a huge show of support. It's really up to the whole project team to return the favour with a speedy progress.

4) Not enough fund. This is an understandable excuse for delays in the 90s. But it's not a good one for the repeated delays in the recent years. At the end of the day, you need to give the governement a realistic figure for the required fund, if you know what you are doing. That's exactly the management's job.

Now, in the last 1 or 2 years, I start to see good signs of improvements, e.g. collaberation with external helps, decisions on using mature foreign critial sub components (e.g. engine, radar and weapons) to get block 0 ready ASAP, eventhough they should've been done 10 years ago.

Unless new deadlines are declared, I am waiting to see when the full flight envelop is tested, when the basic radar and weapon integrated tests finish, when the first LCA is handed to IAF's airbase AND when the first squadron of LCA is formed, which I believe is 2010. That will mark the complettion of the R&D phase.

C. Production and Operation phase
This phase is scheduled to start in 2010 and will last to the final days of LCA.
Obviously no verdict yet, especially this is mostly an unknown stage. But looking at any other projects, the first 5-10 years can be quite a hectic period: LCA will be built and used by average joe blokes. The LCA team needs to have a very very proactive and "never say die" attitude because LCA may be the most critisied plane in IAF intitially. Strong nerve, will and attitude are needed to pass that stage.

D. Upgrade and Finalisation phase
No date lines. No Verdicts.

A relevant question is that whether LCA will be obsolete in the next decade. I really don't think so.
1) Techinically speaking LCA has most of the 4th gen features comparable to others, when it's finished. 2) 4th gen fighters will be in service with all countries beyond 2030 baring USA.

So generally speaking, LCA won't be obsolete in the next decade at least. The ideas of jumping directly to UACV because LCA is not on time and obsolete is too naive. You don't use an even more unerealistic idea to replace something you think is not realistic.

Having said that, there's quite a chance that LCA will be the last 4th gen fighter entering service. That will put extra burden on the upgrade works planned for LCA. This will be especially true after 2020 when early 4th gen fighters are comfortabely going into retirement. LCA's upgrade plans will be under lots of spotlights again after 2025-2030 because most other planes may be either retired or on final life caring support.

So, LCA's upgrade needs to be planned and started very early, otherwise last runner of a marathon usually recieves special attensions.

To summarise, From India's aero industry's point of view, what India has achieved in the LCA project is quite impressive, especially when you consider from where they started the development. But from IAF's point of view or just looking at the project itself, it has many problems and it's yet to prove the project's success.

Put it this way, a project is like a soccer match, if you can't reach your goal in 90 mins, you failed no matter how much individual briliance you showed up here or there during the match. of course, if LCA can't be inducted in 2010, I'd say there's still a 30 min extra time. After 2015, it will be penalty shoot out if no sudden death allowed:)

Anyway, just some thoughts. I do welcome comments and critics, but no simple one liners please.

Last edited:

aaaditya

some of the sanctions imposed on the lca during the 90's were realy crucial in delaying the project,the lca flight software which was being tested on an f-16 vista in the usa and ws being developed with lockheed martin's assistance was confisticated ,the indian scientists had to return empty handed and had to start the project from a scratch,that also resulted in the 5 year delay from the rollout to the first test flight,moog failed to supply the hydraulic actuators ,though thay have started to supply them now,india is currently in the process of indiginising them,and the ge refused to supply the engines after the initial order of 20 ge-f-404 engines ,however the original order itself was delayed. these are enough to put a project back by 5-10 years ,particularly when the country involved is india which has relatively limited experience in aircraft engineering field when compared to western nations.

wp2000

I know and understand all these things. That's why I go into the trouble to comment on each phase of LCA's development.

I was trying to point out that up until mid 90s, LCA was doing relatively well. Then mainly because of the US sanction, LCA was delayed to 2001 to do the maiden flight. This is still understandable although debatable.

But after 2001 till now is the period that is relevant. For this period, you really can't use 1999's US sanctions to explain why the LCA project management still can't setup doable timelines, even just several months ago.

I am pretty sure LCA's tech engineers have been and are working to their best towards the setup timelines. But scatological invective deleted happens; Every plane project suffers from all sorts of problems. This is the every management team's job to prepare for whatifs and implement the corresponding plan when problems do occur. That's what MANAGEMENT means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanium

Light Combat Aircraft: questions over installed thrust

LCA-Tejas is again going to the drawing board, so expect to see only after 15 years or so according to this report.

Bangalore: Sea-level flights of Tejas, the indigenous light combat aircraft (LCA), have thrown up questions relating to its installed thrust. If these are not resolved, it is possible that India’s fourth generation fighter aircraft programme, launched in 1983, could get further delayed. :eek:nfloorl:

Prototype vehicles PV2 and PV3 were put through 24 flights over two weeks at INS Rajali at Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu recently. Being at sea level Arakkonam offered a dramatically different environment from that of Bangalore, which is 3,018 feet above sea level. It was in Bangalore that all the LCA flying was until then done. With the longest runway of its kind in India, INS Rajali enabled Tejas to undertake extensive low-level flying, something that is not possible in Bangalore.

The sea-level tests, basically meant to test the reliability of Tejas’ systems in dense (hot and humid) atmospheric conditions and its low-level flight characteristics, were “largely successful.” But it also became clear that the performance at sea level did not meet some key points in its flight envelope: notably in terms of maximum speed and take-off. Here the aircraft was not able to meet its targeted maximum speed of Mach 1.05, although it had been touching Mach 1.6 at higher altitudes.

Informed sources attribute this to insufficient installed thrust from the power plant after its integration with the air frame. Engineers working with the programme say modifications including to the aircraft’s air intakes will have to be made or a new engine installed. Both solutions will be time-consuming:nutkick

aaaditya

LCA-Tejas is again going to the drawing board, so expect to see only after 15 years or so according to this report.

Bangalore: Sea-level flights of Tejas, the indigenous light combat aircraft (LCA), have thrown up questions relating to its installed thrust. If these are not resolved, it is possible that India’s fourth generation fighter aircraft programme, launched in 1983, could get further delayed. :eek:nfloorl:

Prototype vehicles PV2 and PV3 were put through 24 flights over two weeks at INS Rajali at Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu recently. Being at sea level Arakkonam offered a dramatically different environment from that of Bangalore, which is 3,018 feet above sea level. It was in Bangalore that all the LCA flying was until then done. With the longest runway of its kind in India, INS Rajali enabled Tejas to undertake extensive low-level flying, something that is not possible in Bangalore.

The sea-level tests, basically meant to test the reliability of Tejas’ systems in dense (hot and humid) atmospheric conditions and its low-level flight characteristics, were “largely successful.” But it also became clear that the performance at sea level did not meet some key points in its flight envelope: notably in terms of maximum speed and take-off. Here the aircraft was not able to meet its targeted maximum speed of Mach 1.05, although it had been touching Mach 1.6 at higher altitudes.

Informed sources attribute this to insufficient installed thrust from the power plant after its integration with the air frame. Engineers working with the programme say modifications including to the aircraft’s air intakes will have to be made or a new engine installed. Both solutions will be time-consuming:nutkick
obviously ,there have been plans to install new engines ,thats why safran of snecma and saturn have been shortlisted as the possible co-developers of the new engine,by the way ,why didnt you post the full article?

aaaditya

here , let me post the rest of the article ,that you have so conveniently ignored:

here is the link:

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/15/stories/2007081558470100.htm

The LCA programme’s limited series production and the 20 aircraft the IAF has ordered will fly with specially modified GE 404 IN20 engines. But informed sources say that though these engines have Full Authority Digital Engine Control, longer life and hot-end components, they may not be able to generate at sea level the needed installed thrust.
The LCA programme’s limited series production and the 20 aircraft the IAF has ordered will fly with specially modified GE 404 IN20 engines. But informed sources say that though these engines have Full Authority Digital Engine Control, longer life and hot-end components, they may not be able to generate at sea level the needed installed thrust. A new, more powerful engine such as the GE 414 (which powers the F-16 Super Hornet), whose core is the same as the GE 404 but is heavier or a similar engine, may have to be tried.
The genesis of the current issues relating to the engine can be traced to the non-availability of the Kaveri engine that was expected to fly the Tejas, but which is still nowhere in sight. The non-availability of the Kaveri has meant that the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), which is designing the LCA, is forced to look elsewhere for an alternative.
The ADA, though, is not too perturbed with the lack of installed thrust at low levels. Says P.S. Subramanyam, its Programme Director (Combat Aircraft): “The programme is on the fast track. We are planning to fit drop tanks and mid port bombs very shortly. Missile firing is also being planned. The present engines (F 404) will see me through IOC and FOC.”
The LCA, which has so far undertaken 725 flights, is scheduled to get initial operational clearance in late-2010 and FOC in 2011-12.

well you can see for yourself,the poor research done by the reporter, this casts doubt on the credibility of the reporter and on his knowledge of the project ,he has also not given a clear indication as to who his sources are and i think only some people i know will give premature credibility to this article ,and act like fools.

i would give moe credibility to this article if the indian defence minister or a member of the indian airforce,or a leading defence magazine like jane's confirms this report.

it is agreed that the current engine of the lca is underpowred ,that is the reason why the kaveri is being developed and that is the reason why indian airforce is acquiring the ge-f404-in20 engines,but i dont think it will delay the project any further.

also this article has given no indication that the indian airforce does not want this aircraft ,but only highlights the indian airforce's commitment towards this project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.