The best strategy to defending Singapore Island

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 2 of 2: Buying strategic depth

7️⃣For 4 months, Malaysian Govt vessels engaged in intrusions into territorial waters off Tuas. This includes the period from Dec 2018 to April 2019 & the 9 Feb 2019 collision between M’sian Govt vessel, Polaris & a Greek vessel in Singapore port waters.

8️⃣With the 1987 E-2C acquisition, the RSAF became a tertiary air force but that in itself was insufficient for deterrence against Malaysian hostility — as the 1991, 1998 & 2018 bilateral tensions demonstrated. The 2018-2019 tensions with Malaysia, in particular, aided:
(a) the decision by the Singapore Navy to build 6 new 8,800 ton Multi-Role Combat Vessels (MRCV) with the 1st vessel to be delivered by ST from 2028;​
(b) the award a contract to Fr. Fassmer GmbH & Co. for 4 new 1,890 ton OPVs to be delivered from 2028 onwards; &​
(c) the decision by the RSAF to acquire the F-35Bs earlier.​

9️⃣It was reported on the contracts awarded by DSTA to Saab & Singapore Technologies Marine Ltd for the MRCV, but DSTA itself has not confirmed the size of the MRCV.
(a) Like the MRCV, the German Navy’s F-125 at 7,200 tons is as large as a destroyer. The Singapore Navy’s MRCV at 8,800 tons, when built will dwarf any TNI AL or RMN vessel & bigger than the RSN’s 7,600 to Endurance class LPDs.​
(b) But if @xaviervav’s updated information is true, the MRCV at 8,800 tons would mean that the Army Deployment Force could deploy a quick reaction force on the MRCV.​

Last edited:

koxinga

Glad to see we are getting to some plausible tonnage numbers with the MCRV. To be at this displacement, it would easily have length in excess of 150 metres. I have some thoughts about how they will use it, but it would just be speculation at this point. Probably wise to wait for more information.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 2 of 2: Changing the way we fight!

5. In Sep 2023 Acting Under Secretary of Defense for DOD Policy, Sasha Baker visited Singapore to meet with Singapore's Permanent Secretary for Defense Chan Heng Kee. In that trip, the US DoD explored opportunities for cooperation that included high-end air to air training. I suspect this new area for cooperation is in anticipation of the F-35B delivery to Singapore.

6. Singapore is learning from the Swedish Defense University & applying the historical & military lessons learnt from the war in Ukraine. The island nation seeks apply these lessons for our survival as the smallest nation state (by land size), within ASEAN. In public diplomacy, the Singapore Govt has taken a principled stand to support Ukraine’s resistance. This is a strategic communications masterclass, and I hope can serve as an example to other small states in ASEAN.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wondering Singapore Navy is altering its Doctrine with the introduction of "8800Tons" MRCV from 2028.
1. IMO, the MRCV acquisition will affect even Army heliborne & coastal hook doctrine. But I don’t think of it as a Singapore Navy change, rather an evolution — with manpower savings a goal. This is because the Singapore Navy has operated UAVs for years & it has even deployed USVs in Operation Blue Orchid.

The Joint Multi Mission Ship (JMMS) may not be happening at all and be replaced by Landing Ship Tank Replacement. :(
2. If I am not wrong the ‘LST’ replacement is still the JMMS. Let’s see what happens in annoucements after the 1st MRCV is launched.

Last edited: