Sukhoi unveils Supercruising Su 35-1 flanker

tphuang

Super Moderator
That's what I thought. The 400 km figure against a 3 sqm target sounds way to much especially for a fighter sized PESA, though the Flanker itself is relative large.
yeah, I can believe tracking flankers from that far, since it is just huge. But against 3 sqm targets, that sounds like too much. I don't even know what's in their air force that is 3 sqm in frontal RCS.

eaf-f16

yeah, I can believe tracking flankers from that far, since it is just huge. But against 3 sqm targets, that sounds like too much. I don't even know what's in their air force that is 3 sqm in frontal RCS.
The new Su-35BM is supposed to have a RCS similar to a Block 50/53 F-16C.

Chrom

Hard to tell, new Mig-29/35 with RAM advertised with 0.3 m2 RCS, and Su-34 sometimes quoted with "less than 1 m2". Su-35BM might well share same RCS reduction....

tphuang

Super Moderator
Hard to tell, new Mig-29/35 with RAM advertised with 0.3 m2 RCS, and Su-34 sometimes quoted with "less than 1 m2". Su-35BM might well share same RCS reduction....
the Russians will tell you anything. Nothing is going to hide those engine blades or the huge square intakes or the externally carried AAMs or the vertical stabilizers or the radar that will light up any RWR. If Mig-35 has a 0.3 sqm radar, then Rafale will be as stealthy as F-22.
and you believe that?

qwerty223

the Russians will tell you anything. Nothing is going to hide those engine blades or the huge square intakes or the externally carried AAMs or the vertical stabilizers or the radar that will light up any RWR. If Mig-35 has a 0.3 sqm radar, then Rafale will be as stealthy as F-22.

and you believe that?
Sorry to disappointed you, but other than the Chinese, people really had a hard time to believe J-11B is, even to say, an equivalent to SU-35, as for the time being, WS-10 still struggling for its serial production for unknown reason., while the SU-35 has abandon the AL-31.

Last edited:

eaf-f16

and you believe that?
I don't believe it. I was just stating what the Russians said. And no one honestly knows.

And apparently, they did find a way of hiding external loads, and fan blades. They applied RAM to A2A munitions and on the fan blades as well (but they had trouble with fan blades).

And if the MiG-35's RCS is really 0.3 sqm then it will be just as stealthy as the F-22 and the F-35, which is absolute BS. We all know that's not true. Why even bother make 5th-gen fighter then if you can make your legacy fighters that small on radar? I doubt the Russians even said that.

Chrom

I don't believe it. I was just stating what the Russians said. And no one honestly knows.

And apparently, they did find a way of hiding external loads, and fan blades. They applied RAM to A2A munitions and on the fan blades as well (but they had trouble with fan blades).

And if the MiG-35's RCS is really 0.3 sqm then it will be just as stealthy as the F-22 and the F-35, which is absolute BS. We all know that's not true. Why even bother make 5th-gen fighter then if you can make your legacy fighters that small on radar? I doubt the Russians even said that.
Hmm, if you are proposing what F-22 have RCS of 0.3 m2...

P.S. They claim 10x RCS reduction with RAM. On they official site...

Scorpion82

But it is no news that neither the MiG-29 not the Su-27 have a RCS of 3 sqm. And the Russians claim a lot when the day is long. Honestly with RAM alone it is very difficult to make such an achievment. Structure, materials, shaping, all this goes in as well.

Chrom

But it is no news that neither the MiG-29 not the Su-27 have a RCS of 3 sqm. And the Russians claim a lot when the day is long. Honestly with RAM alone it is very difficult to make such an achievment. Structure, materials, shaping, all this goes in as well.
Yes, seems a bit too much reduction just for RAM and some minor chanes. Basic Mig-29 have about 5 m2 RCS. On they other hand, i dont quite believe F-22 advertising about 0.001 m2 RCS either. So it is not if russians are unique about they advertising...

Personally, i'm in doubt. From one hand official sourse claim 10x RCS reduction. From the other hand, common sense contradicts it. But with new technologies you never know the truth...

eaf-f16

Yes, I believe that both the F-22 and the F-35 are probably in the 0.3m2-0.2m2 ballpark. Unless you believe the whole "the F-22 is as small as a marble on radar and has a RCS of 0.000000000000001m2" BS.

Incognito129

Banned Member
I doubt the f-22 has an rcs that big. The f-18e has an RCS of 0.1 m2.

You've basically said the f-22 is a huge Admin: Text deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incognito129

Banned Member

and you believe that?
You believe the j-11b is comparable to su-35, as in what? It can fire a missile, has a radar?

Im sorry but you need much more time to develop any sort of comparable capability. All we are seeing is number copying, provided these numbers are even true.

eaf-f16

I doubt the f-22 has an rcs that big. The f-18e has an RCS of 0.1 m2.

You've basically said the f-22 is a huge Admin: Text deleted.
Really? The Super Hornet has RCS of 0.1m2? I'm guessing you have a source for that since you're stating it as if you know it for a fact...

tphuang

Super Moderator
Sorry to disappointed you, but other than the Chinese, people really had a hard time to believe J-11B is, even to say, an equivalent to SU-35, as for the time being, WS-10 still struggling for its serial production for unknown reason., while the SU-35 has abandon the AL-31.
Unknown doesn't equate to lack of capability.
J-11B is operational, su-35 isn't
WS-10A is not struggling, it's in mass production. All J-11B are using it.

yeah, but that won't be the case when it has to carry missiles and stuff. That dramatically increases it. And then you factor in those hugely unstealthy intakes, you got issues.

You believe the j-11b is comparable to su-35, as in what? It can fire a missile, has a radar?

Im sorry but you need much more time to develop any sort of comparable capability. All we are seeing is number copying, provided these numbers are even true.
Have you seen any J-11B? Do you know what it's capable of in a few years? The only parts China has shown any interest in su-35 are its engine and radar. And in a couple of years, there won't be any interest in those areas either.

qwerty223

Unknown doesn't equate to lack of capability.
J-11B is operational, su-35 isn't
WS-10A is not struggling, it's in mass production. All J-11B are using it.
There were two unsourced claim of you here. J-11B is operational? WS-10A is in production?

eaf-f16

Well, this hornet definitely has an RCS less than 0.1m2...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuclearlakeside/1175796840/

Seriously, we all know how figures for RCS comes about...Just think, who in the public domain has the ability to measure RCS? Who in the defense industry is allowed to talk about RCS?

Its not like one can construct one of these in their backyard...
http://www.thehowlandcompany.com/RCS-Hughes.htm

On the other hand, we have bill sweetman and his articles quoting "industry sources" about how RCS of the SH is reduced by xx db...

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/ares/2007/05/eads_knows_lo.html

He of course was the guy who quoted the "marble-sized" RCS for the JSF/F22.

What is definite is that the SH uses RCS reducing techniques more advanced than those of the earlier hornets.
I don't doubt the Super Hornet having "stealthy characteristics", it's the 0.1m2 figure that I have a problem. And I don't think we can trust a guy who said the F-35 and F-22 have a RCS of 0.0001m2 (or whatever that ridiculous number was).

tphuang

Super Moderator
There were two unsourced claim of you here. J-11B is operational? WS-10A is in production?
brother, go check the WS-10A thread on SDF. There are numerous official reports from AVIC1 that WS-10A has achieved mass production. As for J-11B, there are no official gov't report that it's in service, but if you check the flanker thread on SDF, you will find pretty official source that say it's in mass production right now. Just because you haven't seen it, that doesn't mean these sources don't exist.

qwerty223

brother, go check the WS-10A thread on SDF. There are numerous official reports from AVIC1 that WS-10A has achieved mass production. As for J-11B, there are no official gov't report that it's in service, but if you check the flanker thread on SDF, you will find pretty official source that say it's in mass production right now. Just because you haven't seen it, that doesn't mean these sources don't exist.
Yeah, dont just claim, quote one SDF paragraph that state J-11B is in service. Of course, i will apologize if your definition of "operational" includes test bed and experimental airframes.