Sukhoi unveils Supercruising Su 35-1 flanker

eaf-f16

Well the US arms sales embargo on Venuzuela back in early 2006 led to the decision to buy the Su-30MK2, as the F-16 fleet couldn't be supported anymore. The old Su-35 is dead for some years now. If Venuzuela had shown interest before they for sure wanted to buy them at a later time, but the Su-30MK2 had to be delivered very quickly.
I don't exactly know where I read it, but it was in some press releases, that Venuzuela is interested in buying the Su-35 as a kind of follow on to the Su-30MK2. As the old Su-35 is not longer offered on the market, the talk must be about the new Su-35.
This is what interests me. Was the Su-35 ever offered for export?

I have seen at least two Latin American nations express interest in the Su-35 but no sales so far.

Scorpion82

This is what interests me. Was the Su-35 ever offered for export?

I have seen at least two Latin American nations express interest in the Su-35 but no sales so far.
Yes the Su-35 was first offered to the UAE which eventually opted for the F-16 blk 60.
South Korea was another candidate, but the South Koreans opted for the F-15K in the end. The Su-35 and Eurofighter were already eliminated in a first phase of the competition.
Brazil considered the Su-35 next to the Gripen and M2k-BR, but had to cancel their efforts due lack of money. Now they want to restart their FX-competition and AFAIK Sukhoi will offer both the Su-30MK2 and Su-35 (new one). The twin seat Su-35UB was in fact built to support the marketing efforts for the Su-35 but without success.

Scorpion82

IIRC, that wasn't the Su-35. It was the Su-37.
The Designation Su-37 was only used for a single demonstrator based on the 5th Su-35 (aka Su-27M/T-10M) pre-production aircraft. It was in fact first flown as Su-35 and then retrofitted with some new stuff such as side stick, pressure sensitive throttle, coloured MFD and HuD of French origins, some ELINT/SIGINT equippement, SATCOM, GPS, AL-31FU TVC engines (on which the AL-31FP for the Su-30MKI is based) and the N-011M radar (based on the MSA equipped N-011). The aircraft was renamed to Su-37 and first flown on April 2nd 1996. In 2000 the designation Su-37 was abandoned and the aircraft renamed to Su-35 together with some upgrades/changes in the equippment of this experimental aircraft. Basically the Su-37 is or better was nothing else than a "pimped" Su-35, which was a single example just a kind of technology demonstrator not more not less. It is true that the aircraft has been offered as Su-37 to some countries like China or South Korea (back in the 90s).

eaf-f16

The Designation Su-37 was only used for a single demonstrator based on the 5th Su-35 (aka Su-27M/T-10M) pre-production aircraft. It was in fact first flown as Su-35 and then retrofitted with some new stuff such as side stick, pressure sensitive throttle, coloured MFD and HuD of French origins, some ELINT/SIGINT equippement, SATCOM, GPS, AL-31FU TVC engines (on which the AL-31FP for the Su-30MKI is based) and the N-011M radar (based on the MSA equipped N-011). The aircraft was renamed to Su-37 and first flown on April 2nd 1996. In 2000 the designation Su-37 was abandoned and the aircraft renamed to Su-35 together with some upgrades/changes in the equippment of this experimental aircraft. Basically the Su-37 is or better was nothing else than a "pimped" Su-35, which was a single example just a kind of technology demonstrator not more not less. It is true that the aircraft has been offered as Su-37 to some countries like China or South Korea (back in the 90s).
Are you sure? Because I remember reading an article a while back about the Su-37 on the Code One magazine website and it said that it was being offered to the UAE competition with a specialized F-15E variant, the F-16E/F and I think the EF-2000 and the F-16 ended up wining.

Chrom

old Flanker fleet.

What I can't figure out is why the few nations that asked for Su-35's ended up buying Su-30's instead. Was this a secrecy issue?
No, definitly not. Su-35 is purery export project, RUAF never ever intended to buy it. Su-35 is just not ready, whereas Su-30 could be aquired literally overnight - a big plus from all points of view. Addidionally, many Su-35 options can be incorporated to Su-30 upgrade - engines, avionic and weapon most definitly.

Scorpion82

Are you sure? Because I remember reading an article a while back about the Su-37 on the Code One magazine website and it said that it was being offered to the UAE competition with a specialized F-15E variant, the F-16E/F and I think the EF-2000 and the F-16 ended up wining.
As said above the designation Su-37 was for a while used as many became used to the well known Su-37 demonstrator. Back in the 90s the aircraft was offered as Su-37 to some customers, but this changed in 2000 when the demonstrator was renamed back to Su-35. Look at the more recent brochures from Sukhoi and you will see the Su-35 being proposed with the 37 features, even showing the No.711 demonstrator on the picture. Meanwhile further development of the old Su-35 has been canceled and the aircraft isn't offered anymore.

F-15 Eagle

I have to agree with scorpiion here. Actually, it's kind of interesting that the Russians are making statements that their 5th generation plane will fly by 2009 when su-35 still haven't flown yet. The new Su-35 has been shown for a couple of years now. The Russians haven't placed any orders for it. China is not going to place any orders. India is not going to place any orders. I really wonder where their customers are going to come from.
What do you mean the Su-35 has not flown? It is already in service in small numbers with the Russian Air force(VVS). 12 Su-35s have been built and around 5 are in service. As of 2007 it entered production in Russia. The SU-35 I think first flew in 1994 and entered service in 2003. The
Su-50 prototype will fly in 2009, it will replace the mig-29 and su-27 fighters, and be compairable with the F-22 and F-35.

Scorpion82

What do you mean the Su-35 has not flown? It is already in service in small numbers with the Russian Air force(VVS). 12 Su-35s have been built and around 5 are in service. As of 2007 it entered production in Russia. The SU-35 I think first flew in 1994 and entered service in 2003.
Sorry if I have to say it that straight but you are completly misinformed about that!
And I assume you are not aware about the fact that the Su-35 we talk about is not the same as the Su-35 you talk about for the moment.

I have posted this stuff a couple of times before and if I can find it I will post it, but I'm a little bit sick of repeating the same things ever and ever again.

Just short the old Su-35 (Su-27M/T-10M) was just evaluated by the russian airforce, but it never entered service.
The new Su-35 (Su-27BM/T-10BM) is a completly different aircraft. As the Su-27M is canceled since some years, the designation Su-35 has become free again and Sukhoi is using it for its newest derivate.

onslaught

Is it possible that the Su-35 that this thread is referring to is the Su-35BM? I believe the Su-35BM was the plane that was shown at MAKS 2007. This should be the newest plane in the Su-27 family. If that's the case, it appears to be slated for service in the VVS and will also be sold to foreign countries: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/su-35bm.htm

Also, if the Russians are going ahead with PAK FA, is this new Su-35 a bridge to the PAK FA (from Su-27SM to Su35BM to PAK FA)?

Scorpion82

Is it possible that the Su-35 that this thread is referring to is the Su-35BM? I believe the Su-35BM was the plane that was shown at MAKS 2007. This should be the newest plane in the Su-27 family. If that's the case, it appears to be slated for service in the VVS and will also be sold to foreign countries: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/su-35bm.htm

Also, if the Russians are going ahead with PAK FA, is this new Su-35 a bridge to the PAK FA (from Su-27SM to Su35BM to PAK FA)?
Yes the aircraft in question is the Su-35BM, but this designation is not official and is just inofficially used to differentiate the new Su-35 (T-10BM/Su-27BM) from the old Su-35 (Su-27M/T-10M). Until now there are no firm orders for this aircraft, though some Russian sources claim that the Su-35(BM) will be part of their arms buys within the timeframe until 2015. Nothing more has been disclosed by now.

F-15 Eagle

Sorry if I have to say it that straight but you are completly misinformed about that!
And I assume you are not aware about the fact that the Su-35 we talk about is not the same as the Su-35 you talk about for the moment.

I have posted this stuff a couple of times before and if I can find it I will post it, but I'm a little bit sick of repeating the same things ever and ever again.

Just short the old Su-35 (Su-27M/T-10M) was just evaluated by the russian airforce, but it never entered service.
The new Su-35 (Su-27BM/T-10BM) is a completly different aircraft. As the Su-27M is canceled since some years, the designation Su-35 has become free again and Sukhoi is using it for its newest derivate.
Oh I get it your talking about the SU-35BM, I ment the original SU-35, which they do have 5 in service. So there must be 11 SU-35(with 5 in service) and 1 SU-35BM. According to www.warfare.com/RussianMilitaryanlysis there is 5 Su-35 in service with the VVS, as well as 9 SU-30.

Scorpion82

Oh I get it your talking about the SU-35BM, I ment the original SU-35, which they do have 5 in service. So there must be 11 SU-35(with 5 in service) and 1 SU-35BM. According to www.warfare.com/RussianMilitaryanlysis there is 5 Su-35 in service with the VVS, as well as 9 SU-30.
These old Su-35 are not really in service, they were just evaluated by the RuAF, but the RuAF decided not field them. They are now flying for the Russian Knights aerobatics team. Only 8 Su-30 were produced two of which where test examples which were eventually handed over to Anatoly Kvotchurs Test Pilot Aerobatics team. Only 6 (board numbers 51-56) eventually entered service. At least 4 are left.

F-15 Eagle

These old Su-35 are not really in service, they were just evaluated by the RuAF, but the RuAF decided not field them. They are now flying for the Russian Knights aerobatics team. Only 8 Su-30 were produced two of which where test examples which were eventually handed over to Anatoly Kvotchurs Test Pilot Aerobatics team. Only 6 (board numbers 51-56) eventually entered service. At least 4 are left.
I'll have to give you the web site saying they have SU-35 in service but I'll have to find it first. The one I gave in my last post is not the one I was looking for.

Chrom

I'll have to give you the web site saying they have SU-35 in service but I'll have to find it first. The one I gave in my last post is not the one I was looking for.
First, it is indeed not Su-35BM but old Su-35. Second, "in service" mean here rather "in testing/aerobatic units". No military regiment recived any new Su-xx family except Su-34 for a very long time. And most importantly, there are absolutely no plans for it. RuAF will not buy Su-35. RuAF will concentrate on upgrading old Su-27 along with upgrading other aircraft types like Mig-29, Mig-31, Su-24 , etc.

P.S. Su-35BM is intended as "interim" aircraft between Su-27/30 and PAK-FA for export costumers.

Scorpion82

Here is the web site, its says 12 SU-35's are active and 5 are in service, I guess the other 7 are for air shows, testing, and flight demonstration.

http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1606&catid=255

Here is the one saying 9 SU-30s are in service with the VVS.

http://warfare.ru/?linkid=1605&catid=255
Honestly this page is not much different than wikipedia. There're well known aviation journalists and experts who say otherwise. In fact there were 15 Su-27M built (6 prototypes and 6 pre-production aircraft with the board numbers 701-712 and three production aircraft board numbers 86-88). The Su-27M was tested in Aktubinsk by the RuAF, but they found the MMI being crappy and the lack of money was another issue. 5 were eventually handed over to the Russian Knights around 2003 and some are still flying for Sukhoi.

There were only the aircraft produced as mentioned before. Show me photos of operational Su-30s with other board numbers than 51-56 then I will believe you, but I doubt you will be able to do that. I'm dealing with the Flanker with more than a decade now, believe me I have closely followed its development and activities in that time.

F-15 Eagle

P.S. Su-35BM is intended as "interim" aircraft between Su-27/30 and PAK-FA for export costumers.
There will be no export customers for the SU-35 only Russia has them in small numbers, India is getting the SU-30MKI not as a interim aircraft but one that will serve along with the PAK-FA.

F-15 Eagle

Honestly this page is not much different than wikipedia. There're well known aviation journalists and experts who say otherwise. In fact there were 15 Su-27M built (6 prototypes and 6 pre-production aircraft with the board numbers 701-712 and three production aircraft board numbers 86-88). The Su-27M was tested in Aktubinsk by the RuAF, but they found the MMI being crappy and the lack of money was another issue. 5 were eventually handed over to the Russian Knights around 2003 and some are still flying for Sukhoi.

There were only the aircraft produced as mentioned before. Show me photos of operational SU-30s with other board numbers than 51-56 then I will believe you, but I doubt you will be able to do that. I'm dealing with the Flanker with more than a decade now, believe me I have closely followed its development and activities in that time.
What are you talking about? The websites I gave you does have pictures of operational SU-30 and SU-35. The SU-35 is not in the Russian Nights because they do not have a distinctive paint scheme on them that the Russian Nights have and I read that they are not used in the Russian Nights because they are too heavy and because of money problems. And I don't get what you mean by a board number, I don't see any type of numbers on the aircraft themselves.

Last edited:

Scorpion82

There will be no export customers for the SU-35 only Russia has them in small numbers, India is getting the SU-30MKI not as a interim aircraft but one that will serve along with the PAK-FA.
God damn it, don't you get the point that we are now speaking about the NEW Su-35 aka Su-35BM aka Su-35-1, internal designation T-10BM, official designation Su-27BM or SM2 (depending on if it is new built or upgraded)? The OLD Su-35 (Su-27M/T-10M) is DEAD. You should read this thread from the beginning and start to inform you self! It is confusing yes, but I cleared up the situation a couple of times now.
Start reading and understanding and learn what this here is all about before making such unqualified claims.