Space Shuttle Replacement?

Belesari

The X-37B is a 83% scale model.

And there's a perfectly well capsule for emergencies on ISS in the Soyuz TMA. Which is only slightly smaller.
True but it also slams into the ground rather badly wich isnt good for a pactient.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The X-37B is a 83% scale model.

And there's a perfectly well capsule for emergencies on ISS in the Soyuz TMA. Which is only slightly smaller.
Kato thanks for the corrections. I agree with you that Soyuz would be better for emergencies situations. Afterall the X-37 and the full scale versions (X-40 ?) would be a Space UAV, and not design to support man habitations.

Still a reusable space UAV was not really a new technology. Afterall the first space flight (and the only one as far as I know) of Buran was tottaly automated. Thus it's made Buran as the First space UAV.
Just wandering what new capabilties that X-37 will have that would made it and the full scale productions versions as a capable space shuttle replacements. Perhaps you or any members in the forum have more info on this ?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
As there seems to be no thread about SpaceX’s Dragon, I will use this thread as Dragon will be a future manned vehicle. Dragon just splashed down about 45 minutes ago. A manned flight should occur later this year.

barney41

If I understood Elon Musk correctly, the new SuperHeavy/Starship combo will eventually make obsolete earlier hardware, including Falcon 9/CrewDragon and Falcon Heavy. Think of it as a shuttle on steroids. In one video he showed Starship docked with the ISS and the audience laughed because Starship is so huge.

It seems counter-intuitive considering how large the former is ccmpared to.the latter two but SuperHeavy/Starship will be cheaper to operate because it's 100% reusable only cost being fuel. In fact, he envisions competing against airlines for point-to-point earth travel.

Crew Dragon requires a trunk engine section which is discarded and has the added expense of recovery after an ocean landing by chute.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It is unclear to me if the capsule that exploded was the same one that went to the ISS or if it was some kind of test capsule. I guess it doesn't matter as the circumstances for the failure will have to fully investigated regardless of which capsule was involved. Haven't heard much about Boeing's CST-100 lately.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is unclear to me if the capsule that exploded was the same one that went to the ISS or if it was some kind of test capsule. I guess it doesn't matter as the circumstances for the failure will have to fully investigated regardless of which capsule was involved. Haven't heard much about Boeing's CST-100 lately.

It was a re-use of a capsule - the issue appears to have been with the thrusters intended to brake and arrest the capsule but I don't have any more information than that right now.

barney41

AFAIK it was the same capsule. Some speculation going on that corrosion from landing in the ocean may have been a factor in the accident. It would have been a disaster if it had exploded while attached to the ISS.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a re-use of a capsule - the issue appears to have been with the thrusters intended to brake and arrest the capsule but I don't have any more information than that right now.

Correction on the above, I should have said the test failed around issues with the launch abort system which on Dragon, Starliner and Blue Shepherd are all reusable internal systems as opposed to the disposable launch abort towers used in many previous programs.

Dragon uses a hypergolic system which is actually safer in conjunction with the ISS missions than a solid rocket system (which in dock with the ISS would be subject to severe thermal loading many times a day)

So, we'll have to see what went wrong I guess.

barney41

SpaceX is about to launch it's first batch of 60 Star Link satellites into LEO as part of it's plan to provide worldwide broadband Internet service. IIRC, it recently received permission to install a million ground stations as well. Eventually, they hope to have more than 12,000 satellites at an estimated cost of $10B but the profits could be huge and finance Musk's Mars colonization program. Some have suggested though that 5G tech could pose a threat to Star.Link

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
SpaceX is about to launch it's first batch of 60 Star Link satellites into LEO as part of it's plan to provide worldwide broadband Internet service. IIRC, it recently received permission to install a million ground stations as well. Eventually, they hope to have more than 12,000 satellites at an estimated cost of $10B but the profits could be huge and finance Musk's Mars colonization program. Some have suggested though that 5G tech could pose a threat to Star.Link
@barney41 Got a link / source for that. Going to get somewhat more crowded up there.

barney41

This has to be some sort of record, these aren't tiny cubesats. Each satellite is reported to weigh 227kg. Space X will need to launch some 400 satellites to achieve initial.internet capability. Musk is a proponent of vertical integration and the company builds the satellites and can launch them cheaper than anyone else so they'll be a formidable competitor.

FormerDirtDart

Star Link's theoretical advantage over surface fiber optic cables is transmission time. And, that advantage is basically fractions, of fractions, of fractions of seconds. In a commercial market, in the initial decade(s) of deployment, given the likely cost prohibitive access to the constellation's bandwidth, the primary customer market would be the financial trading industry.

barney41

I see Space X offering the service to telcos/ISP providers who will then be able to quickly expand their service to locations where it would be otherwise prohibitive to lay down fiber cable.

barney41

The launch of the Falcon 9 and it's payload of 60 StarLink satellites went flawlessly. The sight of the ooster returning to earth and landing on it's floating landing pad never grows old. The second stage successfully ejected the entire rack housing the 60 satellites instead of ejecting them individually. The satellites will use their ion thrusters to migrate to their final 550km operational altitude.

Elon Musk Says It's 'So Far, So Good' for SpaceX's 1st 60 Starlink Satellites | Space

barney41