South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News

Status
Not open for further replies.

s002wjh

The US and Japan could contribute though surely? Both have significant interests in the region. I would create small airstrips run by the alliance of nations equipped with the usual radar, ASM's, SAM's etc. Just to balance China's force that is certain to be in place on those new reefs.

They need to get ahead for once instead of just being a witness to events as they unfold.

Listening to the response by the Chinese spokesman this morning it is clear that both sides see that this is something they have to win. The Chinese are fighting for what they see as respect due to them, and the US is fighting for freedom of navigation and International rights.

The problem is that the alliance of nations is not likely to respect China under these conditions.

China warns U.S. warship in South China Sea - CNN.com
There is only ph interest in the alliance. Vietnam don't want to have bad relation with China. The rest mala tawian is not gonna antagonize China on this no gain too much to lose. As for help ph build up who's gonna pay for ? us taxpayer? Japan is not gonna directly involve in scs, they already has dispute with China

gazzzwp

There is only ph interest in the alliance. Vietnam don't want to have bad relation with China. The rest mala tawian is not gonna antagonize China on this no gain too much to lose. As for help ph build up who's gonna pay for ? us taxpayer? Japan is not gonna directly involve in scs, they already has dispute with China
Look at what is at stake though. No one really knows the true purpose of these militarised reefs. They could well be for the purpose of evicting surrounding nations completely from their islands, and taking over the whole region restricting these nations to a minimum allowance in terms of oceanic territory.

You say who will pay? The price could be extremely heavy in the next 5 years if no action is taken.

China is after all investing heavily and as sure as God made little apples it will be expecting a return.

bobby_77

The Islands I think is to deter NATO headed by America and England

From what I read is that America made a law to help Taiwan if China attacked, a democracy. But that's just crazy law made by Americans, because Taiwan isn't really a country or a democracy. The laws made by the Americans and French are very hypocritical and selling arms to Taiwan to purposely make the Chinese fight.

The Chinese need the Islands just like Americans want Hawaii and the Monroe Doctrine. If it was me, I would use the Islands for Land Based GPS, UAV's, supply depots, Radar, and Jet Fighters.

China gives plenty of face to the Americans, but there will be a time around 2020 to 2030, then China will probably asked Taiwan to formally concede in the open and not under the Table. This will probably make the Americans lose a lot of Face, and America owes China 1 trillion dollars, and Japan another Trillion dollars.
Not to mention, that China has a space station, and wants to put a Chinese man on the moon, and most likely a Chinese moon base.

So there maybe chance that Taiwan might cause problems with the help of America. But the risk is low how ever, Taiwan doesn't stand a Chance, even with 40 year old French Jet fighters, and American missiles. If a Taiwan tries for independence, I think 1 Chinese smart bomb on a Air Base Run way, will probably scare the Taiwanese into surrendering. I think the war will be over in 1 to 3 months.

If the Americans really did try to help Taiwan, they will most likely ask for NATO alliance, just like in Iraq and the Middle East. So England and France and some European Countries might help the Americans, just like in Korea and Vietnam.

So the Islands in the South China Sea is really to safe guard China's security, in the time of war, just in Case if Taiwan causes any more problems.

America, will most likely try to get the NATO and Indian Navy and most likely Australian Navy, so they will have to sail through the South China Sea, up towards Taiwan.

bobby_77

A possible conflict around Taiwan will probably escalate to include North Korea

I think if Americans went to war over Taiwan, then North Korea, will probably help China, because they probably have a defence pact. I read there are about 30,000 American troops in South Korea. But South Korea, has 1 million soldiers just like North Korea.

How ever I think with Chinese and Russian Air Cover, North Korea will be able to Overun South Korea very fast, and then make the 30,000 American troops surrender.

If Japan does anything with it's American loaned fleet, then they're asking for trouble. I don't think Japan really has any more balls to fight another North Korea and China, in the 21'st century.

China, has a hell alot of cruise missiles and DF21D, and plenty of modern jets, to sink the Entire Japanese Fleet, and destroy all the Air Bases. In the 1st Korean War with America, the only reason China and North Korea signed a treaty, was because of no air power, or no planes. The Americas was able to inflict heavy casualties to the North Koreans and Chinese with it's Air Power. But technically South Korea and North Korea are still at war, this means America is still technically at war too, with North Korea, and China.

But now it's 2015, and the 21'st Century, China has a Space Station, and really modern Air Power, and Cruise Missiles. Yeah, I think when Taiwan tries to declare Independence, it will be over for South Korea, as North Korea, will probably be given the green light by China to take over South Korea, and they will probably do it very fast, with Chinese Air Cover, and smart bombs.

This may very well, mean the end of America controlled Japan, and Guam too.

Yeah, I don't think America, really stands a Chance, without NATO. But then um, then Iran, and Russia might get involved if NATO decided to send ships.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This forum expects considered thought put into posts - it doesn't need internet or online wargaming standards of participation

Put some intellectual rigour into the posts before hitting the enter key

bobby_77

sure, ok, I'll try to get some intel,

This forum expects considered thought put into posts - it doesn't need internet or online wargaming standards of participation

Put some intellectual rigour into the posts before hitting the enter key
Without good intel, what do you want me to say? Just to repeat google news?

I think American's are loosing alot of face, and maybe by 2020 to 2030, Taiwan will have to concede in the open, and then it will be the first time in history a democracy loosing, but how are they even a country?

You don't think North Korea is a ally of China? Who do you think did 9-11. NATO did 9-11, because they wanted to control the middle east.

If it's not a war game, what the hell do you think it is?

What are the Americans really going to do in public with NATO. It will be the first time after WW2, that NATO or America and England, and France, can't control East Asia anymore.

I think the island move is big, possibly as big for China, as the middle east is big for England and France and NATO.

I don't really know how the Americans or anyone else is going to deter China from building more islands outputs in the western pacific, without a regional war including North Korea, and Taiwan. Americans will loose South Korea, and possibly Japan.

This means China will continue to build more Islands.

China building as much Islands as they want, in the public shows a week and useless American western fleet. Who knows how long the Americans can stand this loss of face in the media.

America loosing the western pacific, It's like as big as the collapse of the Soviet Union. It's like if America took over the middle east including Iran.

This is going to be history. Who do you think is more scared to fight. China or America?

Yeah, I think China is on it's way to becoming a hyper super power. Science Technology, Military Economy, Influence. America will still be there, but not really there. Just removed to the Corner of the Atlantic Ocean, close to NATO, and Europe.

I don't think it's about any resources such as oil rigs, fishing rights, or that much shipping trade. I think it's really about stopping America and NATO.

Watch, China won't build any oil rigs. Then the islands are just bases for ships, and planes and for the military, it's not really related to the economy shipping that much.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
bobby_77, Have a look at the forum - there is zero tolerance for posts that promote conspiracy theories, bet it 911, BigFoot or the face on mars.

Toblerone

Banned Member
I am not familiar with that side of the globe. With what right did China start landfilling that island in the first place?

Why was it allowed to create an airstrip there without confrontation?

cdxbow

Natuna Islands standoff. - from Jakata Post Indonesia to Summon Chinese Ambassador Over Natuna Islands Standoff | Jakarta Globe

"Minister of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs Susi Pudjiastuti will summon the Chinese ambassador to Indonesia on Monday (21/03) over reports of a standoff between Chinese coast guards and Indonesian officials trying to capture a ship illegally fishing in Indonesian waters, although China says the incident happened in "a traditional Chinese fishing ground."

Susi said Indonesian officials were pursuing the ship Kway Fey 10078 at 2.15 p.m. on Saturday, for illegally fishing off the coast of Indonesia's Natuna islands as it attempted to flee to the contested South China Sea.

Three officials managed to climb on board and arrested a total of eight crew members, but a Chinese coast guard ship intervened and rammed the fishing ship back into the South China Sea."

Natuna Islands are a long way from the PRC, probably about the bottom of 'the nine dash line'. See att. pic.

I don't understand why the PRC wants to provoke Indonesia, as they have also done with Malaysia over trifles. There are bigger fish to fry in their SCS gambit, and here they are stirring up extra trouble with 2 countries who have been 'neutrals'.

Last edited:

cdxbow

Sea Shepherd might end up biting off a bit more than they can chew with the Chinese. Regarding Indonesia and the incident at Natuna Island, I think that the Indonesians will have to take a strong line with the Chinese.
I think they are clearly taking a strong line here. There are reports of them about to prosecute the crew. Apparently the PRC tried very hard to convince the Indonesians not to go public with it. see link:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...iled-to-halt-south-china-sea-territorial-spat

Last edited:

Hashiva

interesting information about UNCLOS, In Asia there is lots of tension and arm race going on. So as the issues. As you see, India-Pak had issues. China-India Issues, China- Japan issues, China Philippines issues. Looks like no one want to see their neighbours growing.

weaponwh

isn't there an event in west pacific where Japan seized a Taiwan fishing ship near Okinotorishima has few man made concrete structure (5m^2 ), recently.

Taiwan Sunday sent two patrol ships to waters surrounding a Japanese atoll amid a dispute over the seizure of one of the island's fishing boats.

The detention of the "Tung Sheng Chi 16" near Okinotori-shima last week angered Taiwanese officials, who say Tokyo has no authority over the area.

A Taiwanese coast guard ship and another from the Council of Agriculture departed from the southern port of Kaoshiung Sunday.

"Japan has no right to ban our fishing boats from the area," Taiwan's coast guard adminstration said in a statement.

"The government will resolutely defend the rights and freedom of our fisherman in international waters."

The mission will last for one to three months.

Between 100-200 Taiwanese boats fish in the waters around Okinotori-shima each year.

Japan say it has exclusive rights in the 200 nautical mile area surrounding the uninhabited atoll in the Philippine Sea.

But in addition to Taiwan, China and South Korea also reject the Japanese claim.

Taiwan's defence ministry said it also plans to deploy warships to "appropriate waters" but spokesman David Lo declined to elaborate.

The maritime row is straining normally friendly relations between Taipei and Tokyo.

It follows a stand-off more than three years ago over a chain of islands in the East China Sea, when coastguard vessels from both sides attacked each other with water cannons.

The islands -- known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese -- are controlled by Japan but claimed by both China and Taiwan.

But in 2013 Japan and Taiwan forged a fisheries agreement covering the waters off the island chain

swerve

Super Moderator
Exactly. Chinese (& Taiwanese) policy there is a mirror image of what it is in the South China Sea. The arguments China uses against what Japan's done on Okinotorishima are exactly the same as those that it dismisses as invalid when they're used against its own claims & actions in the SCS.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attention all and directed at no one in particular.

Please note that any failure to observe the
Forum Rules or writing factually deficient posts that defy logic, will attract the attention of the Moderating Team and result in swift bans. To avoid writing factually deficient posts, read the entire thread (all 14 pages) for the geo-politics of the region before posting.

Reading the thread, will enable new members to find out why certain members were banned (some banned permanently, and some for banned only for a year). See also this prior impromptu test, to enforce standards.

Further, any off-topic discussions, not relating to the South China Sea may be deleted or moved. Kindly also note that the next post in this thread by any new member (with less than 50 posts) that is a one-liner will receive an immediate ban.

As a general rule, more facts (supported by links) and less opinion only posts, please. If factually deficient posts predominate, this thread will also be closed.
weaponwh and anyone else planning to post in this thread, please take note of this warning - we are giving one last chance to heed prior warnings.

Last edited:

Toblerone

Banned Member
Do I understand this correctly? China did a landfill to enlarge a reef, laid down a landing strip and built some facilities and now houses military aircraft that intercepted US ships sailing in international waters?

weaponwh

Do I understand this correctly? China did a landfill to enlarge a reef, laid down a landing strip and built some facilities and now houses military aircraft that intercepted US ships sailing in international waters?
they did, but its not the first country nor the last do the same, I think Vietnam or Taiwan did the same many years ago, just not on the scale as china. we can sail there, but china can also fly there since its international water. but are we gonna sail through island control by Vietnam/Taiwan or only china claimed island?

Status
Not open for further replies.