Small Arms

A

Aussie Digger

An image of the F88 fitted with the 3.5x "Wildcat" scope.

A

Aussie Digger

The current F89 Minimi Light support Weapon (light machine gun). These are issued on the basis of 2 per infantry section. A nice gun to fire...

A

Aussie Digger

Here you can see the latest version of the M72 LAW rocket as used (still) by the Australian Army. This is the A6 version that has recently been manufactured. It's 75cms longer than the "old" version's of the M72 and has a much bigger warhead and a longer range, same old 66mm calibre though.

A

Aussie Digger

Here's Australia's new sniper rifle. We call it the SR-98 and it is a modifed version of the Accuracy International AW 7.62mm sniper rifle. Our sniper cell was just getting this rifle before I left the recon platoon...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Dig, was the Minimi shot taken in Darwin? The trooper looks like he's wearing a Unafet Cap.

A

Aussie Digger

Nope, in Timor on the Border. I don't know what's up with the pics, you can see them if you click on them, they just don't show up here for some reason. Cheers.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Nope, in Timor on the Border. I don't know what's up with the pics, you can see them if you click on them, they just don't show up here for some reason. Cheers.
the vertical shot of a dig with a minimi photo down reminded me of a place I worked at in darwin - see aerials in top left. :)

elkaboingo

JTF-2 HOPE said:
Damn anti-material rifles can really be harmfull to
even the heaviest armoured soldiers.
it is harmful to armoured cars as well!

while on the same topic, how about some more pics of antimaterial:

12.7mm sniper rifle:

a cg of another 12.7mm:

south african 20mm

Also it featured a laser sight
why would they have a laser sight in a g3 :? g3 is long range and a laser sight is for close range. :( [/img]

A

Aussie Digger

Continuing my series of in service Aussie Weapons, here is the Mag 58 as fitted to an SASR Long Range Patrol Vehicle (on Active Service in Afganistan). The MAG 58 is used in the direct fire support role within the Direct fire support weapons platoon of an Infantry Battalion. There is some talk of re-introducing this weapon at Section Level to boost section firepower but it hasn't happened yet.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
shamayel said:
6 wheeled land rover??...Haven't seen one before. :eek
They were a custom job. I actually worked on that project for a year. The chassis has been widened, they use an Isuzu 3.9L diesel. The US SpecForces guys loved them as well. I'd even trade in my old range rover for one of them!

they'll be popular when they go to auction in a few years time.

if you look closely at the digger in the first photo you'll see a troop carrier version in the background.

I sent some pics to Winter, so maybe he can post a few up if he gets time.

A

Aussie Digger

This is a shot of the Carl Gustav Short range anti-armour weapon used by Australian Infantry Battalions, Armoured Recon Units, Air Defence Guards and Special forces. A powerful weapon with a massive backblast...[/img]

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Nice pics. By the way in the 6 wheeled landy... is the drive going to the rear four wheels or is it 6 wheel drive??? :)

A

Aussie Digger

Further up the fire support chain the Australian Army uses 81mm Mortars to provide integral fire support for Infantry, Armoured Recon units and Special forces.

Here's a great shot of the mortar platoon from my old battalion live firing in East Timor (Illumination rounds only I'm afraid).This is believed to be the first time (Australian) Mortars have been fired on Ops since vietnam.

A

Aussie Digger

The Land Rovers are 6 wheel drive as I understand it, they have a double differential setup, though GF can probably elaborate...