Seasprite Helicopters to be scrapped!

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And here was I thinking Poland was in Europe ... (Seasprites came with the two OHP frigates the Polish Navy aquired a couple of years back.)
Do they need some more. The only problem with these (now) is the lack of a redundant FMS.

Reg Shoe

Do they need some more. The only problem with these (now) is the lack of a redundant FMS.
While it would be nice to see them taken up and flying, I very much doubt the PN would go for them.

I think they only operate the SH-2 because they came with the OHPs, and it was easier at the time to keep them than to convert the frigates (particularly as these are the earlier short-hull OHPs). They already operate a large number of Mi-14 and PZL W-3 Sokol variants. The W-3 is designed and built in Poland and is being exported abroad, while Polish companies have extensive experience with maintenance and modernization of the Mi-8/Mi-14 family. Both types are also in use by other service branches. So it would seem more likely for a number of reasons why they would buy say W-3s rather than Seasprites. In fact, I've read rumours of an upgraded W-3 being studied as an eventual replacement for the SH-2s, which would make sense since it is of similar size.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
While it would be nice to see them taken up and flying, I very much doubt the PN would go for them.

I think they only operate the SH-2 because they came with the OHPs, and it was easier at the time to keep them than to convert the frigates (particularly as these are the earlier short-hull OHPs). They already operate a large number of Mi-14 and PZL W-3 Sokol variants. The W-3 is designed and built in Poland and is being exported abroad, while Polish companies have extensive experience with maintenance and modernization of the Mi-8/Mi-14 family. Both types are also in use by other service branches. So it would seem more likely for a number of reasons why they would buy say W-3s rather than Seasprites. In fact, I've read rumours of an upgraded W-3 being studied as an eventual replacement for the SH-2s, which would make sense since it is of similar size.
Ah a Terry Pratchet fan. On the subject of the Sprites I have to admit I was being flipant.

Reg Shoe

Ah a Terry Pratchett fan. On the subject of the Sprites I have to admit I was being flippant.
Pratchett is a mine of good nicks, as well as being hilariously funny. Though not that many people notice mine, perhaps it's too close to a real name :D

No worries with the Sprites. Perhaps the info will be useful to somebody. As for the helos themselves, I'm a bit of a sucker for somewhat oddball machines. It would be a pity for them to go out due to bureaucratic incompetence rather than at the end of a natural service life.

Ophir

Please forgive me for reviving this old thread about one of the most unpleasant events in the history of Australian defence procurement, but I'd like to ask whether there were some troubles with Seasprites' airframes themselves -- fatigue, corrosion, etc.?

A

Aussie Digger

Please forgive me for reviving this old thread about one of the most unpleasant events in the history of Australian defence procurement, but I'd like to ask whether there were some troubles with Seasprites' airframes themselves -- fatigue, corrosion, etc.?
Not really. The problem for a LONG time, was the ITAS (integrated tactical avionics suite) as RAN specified a 2x person crew for it's "medium" naval helo capability and the Seasprite usually required a 3 person crew.

The final straw was the lack of a "dual" redundant flight control system which is required under Australian Military airworthiness requirements nowadays. Ironically if Kaman could have delivered the project 5 or 6 years ago it would be in-service with RAN now, because those requirements didn't exist in Australia back then...

Stryker001

Banned Member
Kaman have them up for sale at an airshow a couple of months ago, you can buy them if you want. www.kamanaero.com