Scheduled Site Maintenance & Upgrade

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
WebMaster, last night, the whole DT website (forum and news) was not working again. I'm glad to see that it is up and running again.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The new DefenceTalk.com is now online, just a week after our 6th year online on march 27th, 2009.

http://www.defencetalk.com/

The new look will come to the forums and the gallery very soon. The news updates were suspended for week or so, they will start today.

Thank you and enjoy!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Forum software was upgraded today, plenty of new features as you use features like PM, groups, etc. See your UserCP for more.

Please report any issues here!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Forum URLs updated along with new look as you may have noticed already. :)

Comments/suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
For past couple of days, we've been having certain issue with the server config. As a result DT becomes unavailable and / or you receive database errors. I believe it is fixed now.

Also, in case you keep getting log out, just click on "remember me" box when you logon. It should stick.

Please report if you experience any issues.

Thanks and enjoy!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hi guys,

Sorry about the 10+ hour outage. We had hardware failure on the server and it has been updated and replaced.

Glad to be backonline.

Thanks and enjoy!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
We will be moving to a new server in next day or so, please excuse any connectivity issues.

Thanks!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
It seems we have to go through this every year... first of all, sorry about the outage for couple of days. :(

As a result, we've upgraded to a better server:

Server Processor: Quad Core Xeon 5430 - 2.66GHz (Harpertown) - 2 x 12MB cache
Second Processor: Quad Core Xeon 5430 - 2.66GHz (Harpertown) - 2 x 12MB cache
So, all together, over 21Ghz of CPU processing power.
Ram / Memory: 8 GB
Disk System/HD: 4x Raptor 10k RPM HDs
First Hard Drive: 74 GB Raptor 10K
In RAID 05 Configuration:
Second Hard Drive: 150 GB Raptor 10K
Third Hard Drive: 150 GB Raptor 10K
Fourth Hard Drive: 150 GB Raptor 10K
Disk Controller: SATA RAID 5 Disk Controller
Uplink Port: 100 Mbps Public & Private Networks (upgradeable to 1000Mbps)
Price: Don't ask!

I would love to hear your comments and performance of the site over the next few weeks?

Thanks and enjoy!
After about 18 months, DT moves again to new server.

New Specs:
Server Processor: Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5520 - 2.26GHz (Nehalem) - 2 x 8MB cache w/HT
Ram / Memory: 12 GB
Hard Drives: Four 4x 147GB Seagate Cheetah SAS 15k RPM HDs
in RAID-10 (ten):

Uplink Port: 100 Mbps Public & Private Networks (upgradeable to 1000Mbps)
Price: More than the last so don't even think about it.

Please report any issues...

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Folks,

You should see DefenceTalk.com's load speed considerably faster now, especially the frontpage and article pages and majority of those improvements will be made to the forum soon to speed it up as well.

Please report any error messages, broken images, design, etc. and feedback here.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Sorry about the errors today. Trying to improve DT's loading speed... please report any issues and if you experience better speed/faster page loads or not?

Thanks

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about the errors today. Trying to improve DT's loading speed... please report any issues and if you experience better speed/faster page loads or not?

Thanks
Military photos header in left sidebar has the following appearing under it, which I think is breaking the formatting for the rest of the page:

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 1, column 6) in /home/defence/public_html/magpie/rss_fetch.inc on line 238
RSS Error:

I think it's been noticed and fixed before, just letting you know it's back. :)

t68

Military photos header in left sidebar has the following appearing under it, which I think is breaking the formatting for the rest of the page:

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 1, column 6) in /home/defence/public_html/magpie/rss_fetch.inc on line 238
RSS Error:

I think it's been noticed and fixed before, just letting you know it's back. :)
Yep same here,bt have noticed it is faster to load.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thanks. I don't see that error anymore.

It does seem faster now, tests tests tests.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Browsing the military photos should be little bit faster as well now.

ALL Pictures/thumbnails, almost all javascripts, stylesheets, etc., etc. are served from servers CLOSEST to you rather than from server in Dallas, TX resulting (i hope) in faster page loads.

the road runner

Was trying to get in to forums today and kept getting this message below
(copy and paste what was on the page when i signed in)

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 49

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 101

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 105

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 113

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 124

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 128

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 136

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 205

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php on line 383

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home/defence/public_html/forums/includes/init.php
Line: 49

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0