Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Sandhi Yudha

2 JUL, 16:35
Shipbuilders to deliver nuclear-powered Akula-class sub to Russian Navy after upgrade
The nuclear-powered submarine fully completed the program of its trials

© Lev Fedoseyev/TASS
MOSCOW, July 2. /TASS/. The Northern Fleet’s Project 971 ‘Shchuka-B’ (NATO reporting name Akula) nuclear-powered submarine Vepr has completed trials after its repairs and upgrade and is set to re-enter service with the Fleet in mid-July, a source in the defense industry told TASS on Thursday.
"The certificate of the acceptance/delivery of the nuclear-powered submarine will take place at the Nerpa Ship Repair Plant in the second ten-day period of July," the source said.

After their upgrade, the submarines of this Project were armed with Kalibr-PL strike missile systems.

Source:Shipbuilders to deliver nuclear-powered Akula-class sub to Russian Navy after upgrade

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 JUL, 16:35
Shipbuilders to deliver nuclear-powered Akula-class sub to Russian Navy after upgrade
The nuclear-powered submarine fully completed the program of its trials

© Lev Fedoseyev/TASS
MOSCOW, July 2. /TASS/. The Northern Fleet’s Project 971 ‘Shchuka-B’ (NATO reporting name Akula) nuclear-powered submarine Vepr has completed trials after its repairs and upgrade and is set to re-enter service with the Fleet in mid-July, a source in the defense industry told TASS on Thursday.
"The certificate of the acceptance/delivery of the nuclear-powered submarine will take place at the Nerpa Ship Repair Plant in the second ten-day period of July," the source said.

After their upgrade, the submarines of this Project were armed with Kalibr-PL strike missile systems.

Source:Shipbuilders to deliver nuclear-powered Akula-class sub to Russian Navy after upgrade
I don't think Vepr was equipped with Kalibr-PL. I think it went through a normal overhaul with some minor upgrades.

Sandhi Yudha

I don't think Vepr was equipped with Kalibr-PL. I think it went through a normal overhaul with some minor upgrades.
Yes sorry, some sources report that the Vepr can use the Kalibr now, also this one.

I dont know how long this overhaul took, but you can be right.

So, the K-157 Vepr is the only Project 971U ever build? Remarkable that the next boat (K-419 Kuzbass) is just a normal 971.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes sorry, some sources report that the Vepr can use the Kalibr now, also this one.

I dont know how long this overhaul took, but you can be right.

So, the K-157 Vepr is the only Project 971U ever build? Remarkable that the next boat (K-419 Kuzbass) is just a normal 971.
This is a good question. I honestly don't know. I attempted to poke around but found inconsistencies between sources. I've asked on navy-korabel's page to recommend any material he might be aware of on the subject. I'll let you know if he turns up something that resolves this. As it stands, the Nerpa may also have been a 971U.

SolarWind

Seems that the Project 1164 Moskva is alomst finished with its two months (routine?) repair and maintenance program.
The Moskva is reported to be expected to serve for decades in the Black Sea Fleet after the servicing. A limited modernization reportedly took place amounting to replacement of diesel generators and RTS systems (Communications?). The engine was repaired. Hundreds of meters of cable lines were also replaced.

A more serious modernization of the type that Marshall Ustinov received is currently not discussed for the Moskva, due reportedly to shortage of funds. But the corresponding decision can be made later.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Feanor, SolarWind, thank you for the reply. Its understandable that not much detailed information is released to the public.

I dont know if its already posted before, but here are some interesting videos about Project 20380, 20385 and 20386.

Sandhi Yudha

Some updates

On 6 June, the frigate Admiral Kasatonov (second ship of the Project 22350 class) wrapped up its state trials and returned to the Severnaya Shipyard in St. Petersburg for its inspection. The frigate Admiral Kasatonov will enter service this month (juli 2020) with Russia’s Northern Fleet where the lead ship of this Project, the Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov is already operational.

Sandhi Yudha

A close and intimate meeting with the Denis Davydov and two other Project 21820 landing crafts.
These stealthy, compact and nice looking 46 meters long landing crafts are quite fast with a maximum speed of 35 kts.
Its actually remarkable that only 5 of these crafts are built.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new and improved 1155M Marshal Shaposhnikov has completed upgrades. Despite some suggestions of something new and heavy getting installed instead of the Rastrub launchers (with the X-35s going in place of a removed crane in the rear portion of the ship) the upgrade is what most people predicted, both gun turrets removed, one replaced with an A-190 gun, the other with 16 UKSK cells, and 2 2X2 X-35 launchers in place of the Rastrub.

We also have confirmation that the 3rd 22350 frigate was launched without its turbines, and will be receiving those later this year.

The upgrade plans for Severnaya shipyards fell through initially and a new tender has been opened. The price tag has grown a little, and it remains to be seen who gets it this time.

The first LK-120Ya nuclear icebreaker has been laid down. If completed, this will be the largest icebreaker ever built, and 3 are planned to ensure year-round navigation through the northern sea passage. However the smaller LK-60Ya are still experiencing problems, and while construction is proceeding at a rapid pace, none have actually been handed over, with the lead ship experiencing major technical issues. Despite this, 3 were ordered by the Russian government, and 2 more allegedly part-financed by private investors. If all these plans come to fruition, Russia will have a fleet of nuclear icebreakers that would make the USSR jealous, and this is part of expansive and ambitious plans for economic development in the Arctic. For the VMF specifically this drastically improves the ability to rotate ships, and coordinate actions between the Pacific and Northern Fleets, and could possible end the historic divide between Russia's two largest fleets.

Sandhi Yudha

The new and improved 1155M Marshal Shaposhnikov has completed upgrades. Despite some suggestions of something new and heavy getting installed instead of the Rastrub launchers (with the X-35s going in place of a removed crane in the rear portion of the ship) the upgrade is what most people predicted, both gun turrets removed, one replaced with an A-190 gun, the other with 16 UKSK cells, and 2 2X2 X-35 launchers in place of the Rastrub.

We also have confirmation that the 3rd 22350 frigate was launched without its turbines, and will be receiving those later this year.

The upgrade plans for Severnaya shipyards fell through initially and a new tender has been opened. The price tag has grown a little, and it remains to be seen who gets it this time.

The first LK-120Ya nuclear icebreaker has been laid down. If completed, this will be the largest icebreaker ever built, and 3 are planned to ensure year-round navigation through the northern sea passage. However the smaller LK-60Ya are still experiencing problems, and while construction is proceeding at a rapid pace, none have actually been handed over, with the lead ship experiencing major technical issues. Despite this, 3 were ordered by the Russian government, and 2 more allegedly part-financed by private investors. If all these plans come to fruition, Russia will have a fleet of nuclear icebreakers that would make the USSR jealous, and this is part of expansive and ambitious plans for economic development in the Arctic. For the VMF specifically this drastically improves the ability to rotate ships, and coordinate actions between the Pacific and Northern Fleets, and could possible end the historic divide between Russia's two largest fleets.

Thank you for sharing this news and links!
So this is the first 1155 modified this way? Are also some sensors like the radars replaced with newer models?

But if the 3K95 Kinzal (Tor) VLS is replaced with 16 UKSK cells for P800 Oniks and Kalibrs, and there are also no Kashtans, then this ship has become defenceless against treats from the air.

Btw, in place of the 2×4 85RU/URPK-5 Rastrub launchers, 16 Kh-35 lauchers can be installed, on each side! There is so much place left over.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thank you for sharing this news and links!
So this is the first 1155 modified this way? Are also some sensors like the radars replaced with newer models?

But if the 3K95 Kinzal (Tor) VLS is replaced with 16 UKSK cells for P800 Oniks and Kalibrs, and there are also no Kashtans, then this ship has become defenceless against treats from the air.

Btw, in place of the 2×4 85RU/URPK-5 Rastrub launchers, 16 Kh-35 lauchers can be installed, on each side! There is so much place left over.
I'm not sure why you think the Tor is removed. It's clearly visible. They removed both of the older gun turrets, and the Rastrub missile system. They installed one newer A-190 gun turret, 16 UKSK cells, and 8 X-35 AShMs. The Kinzhal/Tor is left unaltered. I'm sure there have been changes and upgrades to the sensors, but we will have to wait for more details. I'm not so up to speed on them to make immediate comments based on the photos.

EDIT: Take a look at the charly015 side by side photos, and the higher resolution images in the second link. There are differences in the antenna but what it means is fuzzy.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

I'm not sure why you think the Tor is removed. It's clearly visible. They removed both of the older gun turrets, and the Rastrub missile system. They installed one newer A-190 gun turret, 16 UKSK cells, and 8 X-35 AShMs. The Kinzhal/Tor is left unaltered. I'm sure there have been changes and upgrades to the sensors, but we will have to wait for more details. I'm not so up to speed on them to make immediate comments based on the photos.

EDIT: Take a look at the charly015 side by side photos, and the higher resolution images in the second link. There are differences in the antenna but what it means is fuzzy.

Oh yes thank you, its still there on the front.
So the next on the list for overhaul and modernisation is the Admiral Chabanenko?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the next on the list for overhaul and modernisation is the Admiral Chabanenko?
I'm not sure who is next. But here's some more close-ups of the new 1155M. If you scroll down you notice they've removed the crane that was set up behind the exhausts. This led to some initial speculation that the X-35s would be installed there, and something else would replace the Rastrub. However it's just been left empty. Perhaps they plan to use the space to operate UAVs, or carry a modular container with additional equipment. You can also see significant changes to the radars, and the removal of a Gibka SAM launcher to make room for one of the new radars. We don't have a lot of close up photos yet so maybe the Gibka was just relocated rather then removed entirely. If you note the new radar, the one charly015 calls mysterious, it may indicate upgrades to the Tor SAM, possibly to bring it more in line with the Tor-M2.

SolarWind

Chabanenko has been in repair since 2013/2014, plans for retrofit were added later. It is project number 1155.1 and differs from the rest of 1155s, so the end result of retrofit might differ as well. But the main cause of delays appears to have been the engine. It is not clear if the engine has yet been repaired or when that will happen.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chabanenko has been in repair since 2013/2014, plans for retrofit were added later. It is project number 1155.1 and differs from the rest of 1155s, so the end result of retrofit might differ as well. But the main cause of delays appears to have been the engine. It is not clear if the engine has yet been repaired or when that will happen.
They could give it the same treatment and just leave the AShMs alone. On the other hand, the Moskit is quite old, and at this point I'm not sure a X-35U isn't the better choice. It's a smaller warhead, but longer range, and probably lower intercept chances. If they repaired the engines on the Shaposhnikov, then they should be able to handle the Chabanenko.

Sandhi Yudha

Seems that the Russian Naval Aviation recieved its first Be-200ES.

Some sources say the ordered Be-200 are -200ES variants, others talk about -200CsH variants.

As far as i know Ukraina refuses to export the D-436TP for military applications to Russia, so i also wonder how this livery to the Russian Navy is possible.

SolarWind

As far as i know Ukraina refuses to export the D-436TP for military applications to Russia, so i also wonder how this livery to the Russian Navy is possible.
Russia has no problems in manufacturing their own jet engines, so blocking this particular delivery would do little to nothing in slowing Russia's military buildup. Arguably, Russia does not even need this plane, so Ukraine is more interested in this sale than Russia is.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems that the Russian Naval Aviation recieved its first Be-200ES.

Some sources say the ordered Be-200 are -200ES variants, others talk about -200CsH variants.

Ukraine supplied An-148 components to Russia, even though the airliners were meant for the Russian military. I suspect they will similarly supply Be-200 components as needed.

SolarWind

Ukraine supplied An-148 components to Russia, even though the airliners were meant for the Russian military. I suspect they will similarly supply Be-200 components as needed.
The An-148 partnership was made at a time Russia when was willing to invest in Ukrainian military-industrial complex. Russians at the time could have instead invested in their own, which is what they have done since 2014. This deal has had many critics, as Russia has had its own domestic project in the same category as the An-148.