Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That said, interesting to me they can't go such a short cruise without the need.
Most of their ships don't have fresh water generation capability and must tank that up as well as fuel. Plus they really can't RAS like most modern navies do.

Boatteacher

Most of their ships don't have fresh water generation capability and must tank that up as well as fuel. Plus they really can't RAS like most modern navies do.
I must admit my first reaction to the furor was to wonder whether it was a strategic error not to facilitate the refueling.

By highlighting their RAS deficiency, the West has probably ensured there will be an urgent development of that capacity by the Russians.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Russians have been watching the USN, the RN and just about everyone else RAS for the last 50 years. Nothing about it is secret. The fact that they haven't developed anything more sophisticated than astern refueling speaks volumes.

For the most part they don't need to do it, they rarely deploy out of local waters and when they do at least one ocean going tug is in attendance.

Boatteacher

The Russians have been watching the USN, the RN and just about everyone else RAS for the last 50 years. Nothing about it is secret. The fact that they haven't developed anything more sophisticated than astern refueling speaks volumes.

For the most part they don't need to do it, they rarely deploy out of local waters and when they do at least one ocean going tug is in attendance.
What you say is correct (and given the amount of videos and pictures of western vessels undergoing RAS) probably self evident.

To a certain extent it reinforces my point. It makes them realize they do need it after all.

Which means that in the future the capacity will be there at short notice when it wasn't before; making their fleet more versatile. Thus my concern about it being a strategic error.

Similar to Australia deciding it needed sealift/ LHD capacity after East Timor.

PS: I thought the tug was because their ships often broke down.

Ranger25

Staff member
What you say is correct (and given the amount of videos and pictures of western vessels undergoing RAS) probably self evident.

To a certain extent it reinforces my point. It makes them realize they do need it after all.

Which means that in the future the capacity will be there at short notice when it wasn't before; making their fleet more versatile. Thus my concern about it being a strategic error.

Similar to Australia deciding it needed sealift/ LHD capacity after East Timor.

PS: I thought the tug was because their ships often broke down.

They're understood the need for decades and done nothing. A port in Tartus will help with Med ops.

I don't see any development of RAS for the for the Russian Navy in the near term. No ships in progress etc

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're understood the need for decades and done nothing. A port in Tartus will help with Med ops.

I don't see any development of RAS for the for the Russian Navy in the near term. No ships in progress etc
There is little real need for it. The current Mediterranean ops are the largest Naval activity that Russia has exhibited pretty much since the fall of the USSR. Prior to that, their biggest operation was their anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden.

Sandhi Yudha

Speculation from the old steam snipes is either:
-poorly configured/maintained plant, specifically economizer tubes or forced draft blowers
-extra heavy bunker fuel

Both of which means it's dumping lots of fuel at a poor mix onto fires=lots of smoke.
Its a beautiful ship, but indeed, it will not pass any Euro-3 emission test....
I hope any replacement in the future will be nuclear powered.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some news on the naval side.

The first project 20386 corvette was laid down. The displacement is allegedly going to be 3400 tonns, which means it's almost a frigate in size. It's got 4 more Redut VLS slots, and a space for mounting either additional missiles, or carrying patrol boats, or an additional helo or UAVs. Supposedly Yantar will be working on this project together with Severnaya, which is good news. Severnaya has done a terrible job of keeping up production tempo on the 20380s.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/85419/
Заложен головной корвет «Дерзкий» проекта 20386 - bmpd

The Smetliviy frigate is headed to the Mediterranean. It's unclear whether it will join the Kuznetsov or not.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/85474/

Russia's second project 18280 recon boat is behind schedule, but work is progressing.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/85466/

And the second 22350 is nearing completion, the crew will be moving in soon.

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/85457/

Russia has received its 5th 636.6 project sub. A total of 6 are contracted for the Black Sea Fleet, and another 6 for the Pacific Fleet.

ÐŸÐ¾Ð´Ð²Ð¾Ð´Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð»Ð¾Ð´ÐºÐ° "Великий Ðовгород" передана ВМФ РоÑÑии - bmpd

There's unconfirmed info that at least some of the Indian 11356 ships will carry Russian, rather then Ukrainian, turbines.

ÐПО "Сатурн"¸Ð·Ð³Ð¾Ñ‚овит газотурбинные двигатели Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð½Ð¾Ð²Ñ‹Ñ… индийÑких фрегатов проекта 11356 ? - bmpd

A MiG-29K has crashed in the med from the Kuznetsov group. Reported as "technical malfunction" by the Russian DefMin.

Pilot ejected and rescued. Flight Ops haven't been suspended.

Ranger25

Staff member

SASWanabe

i wonder what the odds of both engines "Failing" are? i wouldn't be surprised if the Russians are just trying to save face and not say it ran out of fuel. :D

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
i wonder what the odds of both engines "Failing" are? i wouldn't be surprised if the Russians are just trying to save face and not say it ran out of fuel. :D
Reliable sources at CAST say that it ran out of fuel because the deck crew couldn't fix the arresting cable in time.

EDIT: Strictly speaking, the engines did "fail". The reason they failed was because they ran out of fuel.

SASWanabe

They r still on the learning curve in carrier ops. If Adm.K was closer to shore, perhaps the jet could divert & recover on a land base. Any ideas why the Su-33s r currently being flown not from Adm.K?
Apparently they were still operating off Kuz, because it appears they lost an Su-33 on saturday.

Russian Navy jet crashes into the Mediterranean after bombing raid in Syria | Daily Mail Online

At this rate in a couple of months Russian naval aviation is going to run out of planes. >.>

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
Something is terribly wrong as the pilot should have his engines on max power for taking off in case arresting wire snaps or missed! That's SOP in carrier landings!
I now expect all their fixed wing flight ops suspended for a while.

Haavarla

Something is terribly wrong as the pilot should have his engines on max power for taking off in case arresting wire snaps or missed! That's SOP in carrier landings!
I now expect all their fixed wing flight ops suspended for a while.
You can be sure the Su-33 pilot did use full AB. But it doesn't make any difference, if the wire snapped when the jet lost momentum. Too little speed, and too little deck lenght to gain speed/lift again. The Su-33 has impressive slow speed handling. But in this case, it was doomed.

She was apparently on her 2nd run, after her 1st was a bolter. Kuznetsov suffers second aircraft loss

"Last week Jane's noted that satellites had detected the Kuznetsov's air wing, the 100th Independent Shipborne Fighter Aviation Regiment, on the ground at Humayim Air Base in Syria. This was likely due to to the MiG-29K crash. The Jane's report, dated November 28th, stated that all of the Su-33s were spotted on land. Either Kuznetsov's landing system had just been re-cleared for operations or the Russian government, embarrassed by the report, coerced the Navy into restarting carrier flight operations."

It would seem apparent that the arrestor wire (Svetlana-2M system) replacement process is not being undertaken often enough... 2nd related loss to the arresting wire. Obvious lack of expierence and/or a quality-defect issue, IMV