Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

colay1

The news video showed the carrier transiting the English Channel. Pretty sure those were Su-15s on the deck unless they got their videos mixed up.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The news video showed the carrier transiting the English Channel. Pretty sure those were Su-15s on the deck unless they got their videos mixed up.
Won't be Su 15 Flagons because they were never converted for carrier ops.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Confirmed for this trip are at least 5 Su-33s, presumably all with the SVP-24 upgrade, 4 MiG-29K/KUBs, and at least 2 Ka-52Ks (probably 4-8 of them). It also carries it's usual hodge-podge of Ka-27s, Ka-29s, and Ka-31s.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Doesn't she make some smoke! I have seen film of her before a 'bit smokey' but that is really something else.
Maybe the stokers are half asleep again. I believe that it is a stokers maxim that fresh air and sunlight are dangerous and unnatural :D

She has such beautiful lines for warship and always surprised somewhat at how low she 'seems' to sit in the water.

She is looking a little dated, but great to see her conducting ops again.

STURM

always surprised somewhat at how low she 'seems' to sit in the water.
That's true but probably the fact that her magazines are full and she's loaded down with aircraft would account for that. I wonder what other ships are in the convoy. Having one of the Kirovs there would make the convoy look even more impressive.

That's true but probably the fact that her magazines are full and she's loaded down with aircraft would account for that. I wonder what other ships are in the convoy. Having one of the Kirovs there would make the convoy look even more impressive.
Maybe Sturm, but many of the historical photo-sets across the class (and over the years) seem to indicate they all 'sit' quite low in the water..

Additionally, Feanor confirmed earlier (below), she is probably carrying no more than half her maximum CAW..
Confirmed for this trip are at least 5 Su-33s.., 4 MiG-29K/KUBs, ...at least 2 Ka-52Ks (probably 4-8..). It also carries it's usual hodge-podge of Ka-27s, Ka-29s, and Ka-31s.
The Kutzenov Group has been reported - 1x Kirov (Peter the Great), 2x Udaloy DDG (Vice-Admiral Kulakov & Sveromorsk). The other x4 ships are support (one would think at least x1 oceangoing fleet tug)..

Two Russian corvettes also coverging on the group, coming South from the coast of Portugal.

I wouldn't be surprised if x1-2 subs lurking in the vicinity

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Doesn't she make some smoke! I have seen film of her before a 'bit smokey' but that is really something else.
Speculation from the old steam snipes is either:
-poorly configured/maintained plant, specifically economizer tubes or forced draft blowers
-extra heavy bunker fuel

Both of which means it's dumping lots of fuel at a poor mix onto fires=lots of smoke.

PO2GRV

I must ask if the pictures from the deck are already from the deployment voyage?

Sorry if this will sound offensive but...flip flops allowed on the main deck ? :crazy Are these the standards on a battle ready ship? Looks like a bunch of villagers getting a piece of a heavy machinery into the field.
Watch vids from that fateful day aboard the Forrestal to see much the same thing. They say much if the regs in aviation are written in blood for a reason

One poster that hung in our shop always stuck out to me: Ready Room Gouge -- Learn from the mistakes of others. You wont live long enough using only your own

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Speculation from the old steam snipes is either:
-poorly configured/maintained plant, specifically economizer tubes or forced draft blowers
-extra heavy bunker fuel

Both of which means it's dumping lots of fuel at a poor mix onto fires=lots of smoke.
Probably both. Russian boilers are not known to be very reliable, or well maintained. Also I remember news articles from when France was still building the Mistral's for Russia that the Russian navy used fuel that was much heavier than what the Mistral's required and they would of require a separate logistics chain than the rest of the Russian Navy.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the two Baltic corvettes have returned to port, the second 11356 which was reported as headed to the Black Sea Fleet, is still in Baltiysk. And the two 21631s that were in the Mediterranean are now on their way to the Baltic where a new brigade of small missile ships is being stood up. To top it off the Kaliningrad region AShM regiment has received new Bal missile systems, and is being expanded into a brigade. Coupled with the new Iskander missiles and the S-400 deployed there, this seems to be a step towards turning Kaliningrad into a significant strong point both defensively and offensively. The plans for the 11356 frigates may also change.

МРК "Зеленый Дол" и "Серпухов" уÑилÑÑ‚ БалтийÑкий Флот - Добро пожаловать в журнал РоÑтовÑкого Орла

Finally, the first 20386 corvette is about to be laid down. It's an upgraded 20380 with new sensors, electronics, and a module space at the back that allows it to carry more AShMs, Kalibr missiles, patrol boats, or a helicopter/UAV.

Дерзкий: prokhor_tebin

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Apparently Spain is reviewing Russia's permit to resupply the Kuznetsov flotilla at the port of Ceuta which is in Spanish territory in North Africa. This rethink has occurred after criticism from within the EU and NATO even though NATO has said that each individual nation makes it own choice about whether or not to resupply this flotilla. That may put a crimp in the Russian plans.

The Russian SSBN BS-64 Podmoskovie which is a Project 667BDRM Delfin-class (NATO: Delta IV) SSBN designated K-64, has returned to sea for trials after a 16 year refit. It is no longer a SSBN having been converted to a special missions sub capable of launching and recovering UUVs. It's range of special missions is unknown but ISR would have to be one capability set.

Ranger25

Staff member
Apparently Spain is reviewing Russia's permit to resupply the Kuznetsov flotilla at the port of Ceuta which is in Spanish territory in North Africa. This rethink has occurred after criticism from within the EU and NATO even though NATO has said that each individual nation makes it own choice about whether or not to resupply this flotilla. That may put a crimp in the Russian plans.

The Russian SSBN BS-64 Podmoskovie which is a Project 667BDRM Delfin-class (NATO: Delta IV) SSBN designated K-64, has returned to sea for trials after a 16 year refit. It is no longer a SSBN having been converted to a special missions sub capable of launching and recovering UUVs. It's range of special missions is unknown but ISR would have to be one capability set.

I believe Spain fell to NATO pressure and halted the port call to re supply. I'll look for a link

That said, interesting to me they can't go such a short cruise without the need.