Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Milne Bay

She was supposed to be scrapped, but then the decision was reversed after it became clear that the Moskva would be going in for an overhaul and modernization. It was planned to be the flagship for the Black Sea Fleet while the Moskva was gone, even though many commentators noted that she'd essentially be a training vessel.

Meanwhile in news, the second 11356 was launched.

bmpd -

And more patrol ships for the FSB Border Guards.

bmpd -
This photo is priceless:

PUSH

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
The cruiser Varyag, destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov, a replenishment tanker, and an ever present tug boat are apparently cruising around the Coral Sea with AP-3C's and two ANZAC's keeping an eye on things.

G20 leaders meeting is in Brisbane this weekend.

alexkvaskov

Interesting. Russia wasn't able to bring a ship for the fleet review. I would imagine it would be one of the furthest missions for them in recent times.
Not really. The detachment is from the Pacific Fleet IIRC. Currently, a Baltic Fleet frigate is in Jakarta following a voyage through the North Atlantic, Mediterranean and Indian Ocean. The past few years have seen frequent deployments from the Pacific to the Atlantic and vice versa.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would not be surprised if there is a sub floating around with them either, its not a big concern, wondering what the US have lurking around for Obama ?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would not be surprised if there is a sub floating around with them either, its not a big concern, wondering what the US have lurking around for Obama ?
I hope they've both deployed subs, it would give the RAAF a break from BAMS and let the P3's go and do some real work and look for them

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I hope they've both deployed subs, it would give the RAAF a break from BAMS and let the P3's go and do some real work and look for them
For sure, thanks for the free practice :)

Wonder if we will dispatch a sub to keep a close eye on them ? Oh wait, some muppet decided we don't need any subs on the east coast, no threats to see hear, move along :rolleyes:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For sure, thanks for the free practice :)

Wonder if we will dispatch a sub to keep a close eye on them ? Oh wait, some muppet decided we don't need any subs on the east coast, no threats to see hear, move along :rolleyes:
Perfect justification for twelve subs right there, enough hulls to permit a couple to be home ported in Sydney for training with east coast major fleet units as well as responding to deployments such as these, and the rest in the west to provide the same sort of support as well as providing sufficient hulls to cover off the core roles throughout the region.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Based on my experience probably an Aegis destroyer and an amphib.
My second destroyer got tasked to sit off the coast of Mexico while W. Bush met with the Mexican president and the PM of Canada. We had a Secret Service detachment on board as well.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The decision was made to not send a ship, even though vessels were available. Many Russian military observers commented on the decision, as a stupid one.
It was quite odd. As a major power they were conspicuous in absence.

Russian Navy withdraws from International Fleet Review : Department of Defence

Made me think relations were frosty before more recent events in the Ukraine.

While recent Russian naval activity, while fairly benign compared to incidents else where will definitely move things in the wrong direction.

There are (perhaps very iffy) reports that:
The ships are spying on G20 leaders
They are moving into Australian waters

Australia sends THIRD warship to intercept the Russian fleet | Daily Mail Online

Sandhi Yudha

"Russia’s Caspian flotilla to be upgraded 85% by 2016 — commander"
TASS: Russia - Russia
I think they are quite on the way with the Gepard class frigates (Project 1166.1) and all those Buyan class corvettes (21630 and 21631)......

Bulava inter-continental ballistic missile test-launched from nuc submarine in Barents Sea
Russia
November 28, 20:38 UTC+3
The nuclear-powered submarine made a single test-launch in the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Russian Far East
TASS: Russia - Bulava inter-continental ballistic missile test-launched from nuc submarine in Barents Sea
And again one test tomorrow:
TASS: Russia - Russia nuclear submarine to test-launch Bulava missile on Nov 30

The one from yesterday was successful, hopefully the same result wil be achieved tomorrow.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seems to have been an accident with the engines of the Admiral Gorshkov. The engines are Ukrainian, and given that future project 22350 Frigates will likely get different engines, might make sense to replace these too.

bmpd -

PO2GRV

Opposing viewpoints

A WIB article asserting the contemporary doom and gloom regarding hull numbers and deployability of the VMF as current hull numbers degrade or exit service faster than replacements are entering service
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-russian-navy-is-on-the-verge-of-collapse-b0ce344ebf96

And the author of the source material of the above article rebuts, writing the VMF is in the middle or early phase of a "recapitalization" of assets after a too long period of neglect and low funding
No, the Russian Navy Isn’t Going to Collapse

Comments: The rebuttal was a refreshing read, speaking as a naval enthusiast in general and a russophile specifically. I'm eager to see how the VMF wil look and operate a decade from now and if it'll follow the model set by its Soviet predecessor or take a whole new concept of operation

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They doom and gloom article is right and wrong at the same time. Russia will definitely face some problems. However it appears that the political leadership is dedicated to maintaining the older larger ships in service for quite a few years more. The Kirov class is not only being preserved, but a second and possibly third ship are being pulled out of storage and returned to service. The Moskva-class is going through an upgrade and overhaul, keeping them all in service for quite a few more years, and there are upgrade and overhaul plans in place for the Soviet-era destroyers, though those appear to be more distant. On the other hand Russia is getting quite a few new corvettes and frigates, and given the tonnage and capabilities these ships bring, they are actually comparable to higher-classed ships from the Soviet era. Ultimately the biggest weakspots, in my opinion, will be the BDK (large landing ships) and the destroyers. If they can spit out enough project 22350 Frigates, they can potentially use them in place of the destroyers, while OKR Lider completes the new destroyer (which may end up being more of a heavy cruiser by tonnage and weapons...).

KiwiRob

There seems to have been an accident with the engines of the Admiral Gorshkov. The engines are Ukrainian, and given that future project 22350 Frigates will likely get different engines, might make sense to replace these too.

bmpd -
From what I understand the M90FR gas turbines are built using componets from Zorya-Mashproject in Ukraine and NPO-Saturn in Russia, the design is actually Russian. My guess is that Saturn will take over the production of the Ukranian built components.