Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Sandhi Yudha

If im not wrong Russia exported at least 3 Mi-28s to Uganda. Ill search later for articles.
Edit: Found.

According to www.scramble.nl the VVS received 3 Su-34M strike fighters in december 2022. This last batch of three Su-34Ms of the year 2022 amounts the total number of delivered Su-34M aircraft to 14 units, with the total number of all Su-34s built reaching 153 (incl. seven experimental and pre-production aircraft).

But here also some Tu-160 news....
Two Tu-160M/M2 strategic missile carriers were rolled out at the Kazan Aviation Plant (KAZ) on 30 december. The rolled out aircraft represent the fourth Tu-160 upgraded to the Tu-160M level (serial 2-02), as well as the second strategic bomber from the new production (serial 9-01), a type often referred to as Tu-160M2 in order to distinguish between upgrades and newly built aircraft.

Russian Aerospace Forces received three more Su-34M front-line bombers

Last edited:

TayJG

If im not wrong Russia exported at least 3 Mi-28s to Uganda. Ill search later for articles.
Edit: Found.

According to www.scramble.nl the VVS received 3 Su-34M strike fighters in december 2022. This last batch of three Su-34Ms of the year 2022 amounts the total number of delivered Su-34M aircraft to 14 units, with the total number of all Su-34s built reaching 153 (incl. seven experimental and pre-production aircraft).

But here also some Tu-160 news....
Two Tu-160M/M2 strategic missile carriers were rolled out at the Kazan Aviation Plant (KAZ) on 30 december. The rolled out aircraft represent the fourth Tu-160 upgraded to the Tu-160M level (serial 2-02), as well as the second strategic bomber from the new production (serial 9-01), a type often referred to as Tu-160M2 in order to distinguish between upgrades and newly built aircraft.

Russian Aerospace Forces received three more Su-34M front-line bombers
I actually find it amazing that Russia was able to build new fighter and bombers and upgrade bombers. Where do you suppose they got the computer chips from.

Incidentally the losses in Su-34's in Ukraine is astounding, no?

TayJG

A summary of the total number of new-build tactical fixed-wing combat aircraft that are known to have been delivered to the Russian MoD in 2022:
1. Su-57: 8 (VKS)
2. Su-35S: 6-7 (VKS)
3. Su-34M: 10-12 (VKS)
4. Su-30SM2: 4 (Naval Aviation)
Total: 28-31

Losses so far in Ukrainian war:

18 Su-34s & 9 Su-24M/MRs (total 27)
11 Su-30SMs & 1 Su-35S (total 12)
23 Su-25-series ground attack aircraft and one MiG-31BM interceptor.

Source:
So even if they have produced more than I would have expected in spite of sanctions, their losses have also been quite significant.

Does anybody know the situation for Russian export aircraft for 2022?
Nice post, I was just thinking to myself: I know they took big time losses in Su-30's and Su-34's but I don't remember exactly how many.

swerve

Super Moderator
I actually find it amazing that Russia was able to build new fighter and bombers and upgrade bombers. Where do you suppose they got the computer chips from.
Neither Russia nor China (& especially not Russia) makes the fastest processors, but they do makes chips, & I expect China will sell some, though not necessarily its best, to Russia. And what chips? There are different types for different functions & different performance levels. The latest & highest performance aren't necessarily needed, but ideally you want physically robust chips, with some hardening against EMP, & with good enough performance to do the tasks needed.

And they have to be used right.

TayJG

Neither Russia nor China (& especially not Russia) makes the fastest processors, but they do makes chips, & I expect China will sell some, though not necessarily its best, to Russia. And what chips? There are different types for different functions & different performance levels. The latest & highest performance aren't necessarily needed, but ideally you want physically robust chips, with some hardening against EMP, & with good enough performance to do the tasks needed.

And they have to be used right.
You think China sells them chips even though doing so could trigger sanctions against China?

swerve

Super Moderator
What sanctions? For selling Chinese technology? US & EU sanctions prohibit the selling of US & EU technology to Russia, not Chinese-designed chips made in China with Chinese technology.

China's deeply enmeshed in supply lines for Western industry, & I think it already supplies most of Russia's chip imports without anyone objecting.

TayJG

What sanctions? For selling Chinese technology? US & EU sanctions prohibit the selling of US & EU technology to Russia, not Chinese-designed chips made in China with Chinese technology.

China's deeply enmeshed in supply lines for Western industry, & I think it already supplies most of Russia's chip imports without anyone objecting.
Yeah that's right. If you think the West won't sanction China for selling weapons parts or complete weapons to Russia, I don't know what to tell you. That's a fundamental misread of international politics and domestic US politics.

US would be more than happy to unmesh China from Western industry. It has already moved in that direction.

swerve

Super Moderator
If western countries were going to impose sanctions on China for selling chips to Russia they'd have done it already. China's already selling chips to Russia. It was doing to before the war.

It would take time & a lot of money to replace Chinese goods. Trying to do it in one fell swoop, in current circumstances, would be very damaging indeed.

Nobody is going to try it. It can only be a long-term goal.

TayJG

China's already selling chips to Russia.
Do you have a source which states this?

@TayJG

You appear to be overly combative in your posting style. I suggest ...strongly ... you moderate this, particulalry as even a basic media search indicates there is a chip trade (either in equipment or of the chips themselves) from China to Russia.

In respect to your one liner ... A very quick search of press reports notes a significant drop in exports of equipment with chips and a ban on banned exports of Loongson CPUs based on the LoongArch microarchitecture to Russia. China do export to Russia but have prohibited the shipment of these specific chips.

China cuts shipments to Russia of smartphones, laptops and other tech - The Washington Post
Chinese Longsoon chips not going to Russia (fudzilla.com)

Evidence in the ongoing chip export to Russia is evident from the October 2022 reporting of quality issues with Chinese chips in Russia

Defect rate of Chinese chips shipped to Russia surged to 40 per cent after Western sanctions, local newspaper says | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)

I note you have already been warned by another Mod so I will not assign points this time. If the behaviour continues I will apply a sanction depending on the nature of your actions.

alexsa

Last edited by a moderator:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A summary of the total number of new-build tactical fixed-wing combat aircraft that are known to have been delivered to the Russian MoD in 2022:
1. Su-57: 8 (VKS)
2. Su-35S: 6-7 (VKS)
3. Su-34M: 10-12 (VKS)
4. Su-30SM2: 4 (Naval Aviation)
Total: 28-31

Losses so far in Ukrainian war:

18 Su-34s & 9 Su-24M/MRs (total 27)
11 Su-30SMs & 1 Su-35S (total 12)
23 Su-25-series ground attack aircraft and one MiG-31BM interceptor.

Source:
So even if they have produced more than I would have expected in spite of sanctions, their losses have also been quite significant.

Does anybody know the situation for Russian export aircraft for 2022?
An alternate version of this list, from CAST.

Su-57 - 6 aircraft - 2 in May, 4 in December, with one of the last batch meant for the first line unit, the 23rd Air Rgt in Dzemgi
Su-35S 7 aircraft - 3 in Sep, 4 in Dec, all are speculated to be in the 119th Training Center
Su-34M 10 aircraft - 4 in June, 3 in Nov, 3 in Dec, 4 went into the 277th Bomber Rgt to begin re-arming the 3rd squadron, 2 went to a testing center, 3 went to an unspecified unit and 1 went conveniently missing, possibly being used to replace losses in an existing unit
Su-30SM2 - 4 aircraft - all likely went to the Baltic Fleet's 34th Dive-bomber Rgt.
Yak-130 - 2 aircraft.

Conspicuously absent are MiG-35s, if there is any sense, this project will be quietly shut down.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

The third upgraded Tu-160M has flown. The program is proceeding, and will likely be successful, if only due to the very small fleet size.

The 5th Il-76MD-90A produced in 2022. A total of 18 have been produced so far.

Footage of the handover of the last batch of 4 Su-35S from 2022.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

A new Russian cruise missile was spotted at Raduga recently, type unknown. The nose looks like it might be radio-penetrable, i.e. the missile has a radar seeker head.

A good photo of Russia's new gliding bomb up close and personal.

Production of a Be-200ChS for Algeria. It's very unclear how Russia intends to produce the type or operate them even, considering the engines.

The VVS have received 3 new Su-34M and 4 new Su-57.

Also the second new-built Tu-160 was rolled out. While this program is questionable financially and technologically, Russia does need a Tu-95 replacement and the state of the PAK-DA is unclear.

A modified Lancet variant was shown at a Russian arms show, with the aerodynamics changed. It still has two sets of X-wings, but one much smaller, and the other larger.

T.C.P

A modified Lancet variant was shown at a Russian arms show, with the aerodynamics changed. It still has two sets of X-wings, but one much smaller, and the other larger.

This lancet looks a lot like the Iranian loitering munition

there is a better photo of this, in white, I cant find it right now, but ti looks exactly like a smaller lancet. I wonder for how long there has been coop between the Russians and Iranian considering suicide drones.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This lancet looks a lot like the Iranian loitering munition

there is a better photo of this, in white, I cant find it right now, but ti looks exactly like a smaller lancet. I wonder for how long there has been coop between the Russians and Iranian considering suicide drones.
The wings don't look similar to be at all. That having been said there are a finite number of efficient aerodynamic layouts to use, so some munitions will end up looking somewhat similar from certain angles with no design connection. It is of course possible, but I don't see it. If you have a better photo, please do share.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Russia has taken another delivery of Yak-130s. This is the third batch under the new contract for 25 aircraft. Numbers delivered are no longer being published. Before this Russia's total inventory in service was 120.

Russia has taken another delivery of Su-35S. Numbers are unclear, last years the VVS got 7, two batches one of 3 and one of 4. Batches of 4 are fairly typical and there is a new contract for 24 total jets. Before this Russia's total inventory received was 108. With the completion of this contract it will become 132 (but without counting losses). The Su-35S has been instrumental to Russian air superiority in combat against Ukrainian jets, and will likely be a significant challenge to overcome even with F-16 deliveries on the horizon. While its PESA radar is likely inferior to the latest F-16 variants AESA, it's not likely Ukraine will get the most advanced F-16s.

Some interesting footage of Su-35S and Su-57 production lines. Russia still seems intent on continued ramp up of Su-57 production. It remains to be seen whether this is possible with the sanctions in place. I also can't help but wonder if Russia has any plans to upgrade the Su-35S. The current variant is over a decade old now.

Russia has taken a another delivery of Su-34Ms. Note we have photos of 2, but we don't know how many were actually delivered. This is part of a new contract for 24 jets, production of which started in 2021. There is also another contract reported that took place in 2022, but the quantities are unknown. If this is a batch of 2, this brings delivered totals to 157 jets. In the current war the Su-34 has been the primary carrier of the new gliding bombs.

Russia has taken delivery of another Il-76MD-90A. Note production of the type continues at a snails' pace, and in reality the VVS can get by on overhauling old Il-76s for a long time, so there isn't much need for many of these. This aircraft is the 19th of the type, including two prototypes. In 2022 Russia received 5 of these. Production of the type is likely to continue at a slow pace of several aircraft a year.

A new Orion-S variant with something large under the fuselage, possibly a radar.

Reportedly Russia is facing a shortage of VK-2500 engines for helicopters. Production has reportedly reached 300 engines a year with a need for 500.

Some interesting footage of Russian bomb production. These are FAB-1500s. Reportedly the range on Russian gliding bombs is 50 kms and these FAB-1500s are planned for gliding bomb kits (UMPK).

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Claim on new short range AA missile purpose build for SU-57 already in operational level. RVV-MD2 from Vympel claim to be have better performance then US latest short range AAM.

As this is build in purpose for SU-57 (I suspect this means it can fitted well with SU-57 missiles storage), seems shown despite the War and western sanctions, Russian progress with their latest gen armament still progressing. Off course it has impact their development progress, but still progressing.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

So from which i understand, state tests for the Okhotnik will be completed by the end of 2023, and the UCAV is expected to enter mass production in 2024.
Is this correctly?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Russia is apparently developing a dedicated ground-attack missile that can be launched from an S-300/400 TEL. This means any SAM unit can instantly become a long-range strike asset. Reportedly they're modifying a 48N6 missile.

Another delivery of Su-35S and Su-57 is reported. We have photos of the Su-35S but none of the Su-57. Quantities are notably absent. The Su-57 has been conspicuously absent from this war. Russia should be completing formation of the first line squadron by the end of this year but that's assuming all things are roughly on track. Given the problems of SEAD, Russia could theoretically leverage these jets to great effect. In practice, however, I suspect we will see them used very carefully and very little.

Russia has gotten another A-50U delivered, the 8th of the type. Deliveries are continuing at an approximate pace of one upgraded AEW every ~1.5 years. Note, while it's a major improvement over the baseline A-50, at this point it's a decade and a half old upgrade. Russia is badly in need of a new AEW. A statement released from Vega concern indicates that they intend to hand over another upgraded aircraft soon. What soon means is unclear, but even increasing the tempo to 2 per year would help.

Shoygyu recently visited an interesting factory. It is the producer of the UMPK gliding bomb kits and the Kh-38ML family including Grom gliding munitions are being produced. These munitions are key to the newfound relevance of the VVS.

We have vague reports of the new Russian Kh-BD missile entering service on the Tu-160s, and a new missile of an unnamed type on the Tu-22M3. The Kh-BD has a reported range of 6500 kms and is clearly meant as a Kh-101/102 replacement (which itself was a Kh-55/555 replacement). In general Russia will clearly continue to develop long range cruise missiles and they will remain part of the arsenal.

Russia has apparently taken to piling tires on aircraft. Some sources speculate it's for protection, but a look at satellite radar imagery clearly reveals the real purpose, it makes them hard to spot on satellite radar. Of course the practicality of this approach is limited, and it clearly takes quite a bit of time to do. Anything to avoid building proper aircraft shelters I guess...

Russia has also taken to painting fake bombers onto bases. Obviously satellites will be able to see through this silly ploy. A night time UAV strike using improvised drones might get fooled. But either way this is questionable.

Russia has received another Il-76MD-90A, the second this year. It's the 20th aircraft of the type.

A look at continuing Ka-52M production. The type has become increasingly relevant in fighting around Zaporozhye.

Russia has reportedly fire a RS-74 Kinzhal from an Su-34. This is a logical adaptation, and unlike the aging and dwindling Tu-22M3 fleet, these aircraft are still in production. They also aren't a one-trick pony like the MiG-31s converted for this purpose. However it's likely the system is less effective when fired from a slower aircraft.

Sandhi Yudha

According to Russian media reports, a decision is made to resume the works on the Il-112V military transport aircraft, but because the aircraft will have PD-8 turbofan engines instead of the TV7-117ST turboprops, the project will get a new name: Il-212.

The new Il-212 will only retain the predecessor's body airframe, flight instruments, and avionics while the fuselage, wings, fuel system and hydraulic system will be altered significantly due to the integration of the jet engine. One of the main changes will be that the PD-8 jet engines of the Il-212 will be installed above the wing, as on the An-72.

With this development it is for sure that it will take many years, maybe even more than a decade, before the replacement for the An-26 and An-72 can enter serial production.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Russian media reports, a decision is made to resume the works on the Il-112V military transport aircraft, but because the aircraft will have PD-8 turbofan engines instead of the TV7-117ST turboprops, the project will get a new name: Il-212.

The new Il-212 will only retain the predecessor's body airframe, flight instruments, and avionics while the fuselage, wings, fuel system and hydraulic system will be altered significantly due to the integration of the jet engine. One of the main changes will be that the PD-8 jet engines of the Il-212 will be installed above the wing, as on the An-72.

With this development it is for sure that it will take many years, maybe even more than a decade, before the replacement for the An-26 and An-72 can enter serial production.
The redesign will amount to a new aircraft with some commonality, and will delay entry into service for the type to an unknown time. While this is probably necessary, the failure of the TV7-117ST engine is not a good sign. That engine is also meant for the Il-114 and the Mi-38 medium helo (Mi-8/17 family replacement). The good development rate of the PD-8, and reportedly the PD-35 (both derivatives of the PD-14) are good signs in the medium term, but in the short term it will be some time before any of this has an immediate impact on military affairs. I strongly suspect early PD-8 production runs will all go to the SSJ. Without that Russian civil aviation will be in trouble.