Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The second An-140 just flew. It's the second, of 11 total ordered. One was bought under a contract in 2008, for the VVS. 9 more were ordered last year by the VVS, and this is the first aircraft of that contract. 1 more was ordered by the AVMF.

6 of the An-140 for the VVS are due to be handed over this year. And the contract is quite a catch for Aviakor. This is the factory that iirc used to produce the Tu-95 and Tu-142, but was lately reduced to producing 1-2 An-140 for small airlines, and 0-1 Tu-154Ms for the MoD, annually. The An-140 being adopted as the next light transport means more orders, and bigger annual production then Aviakor has seen since the collapse of the USSR.

And the ramping up of production for the MoD will lower the price tag on the civilian market, so it's likely we will see additional contracts from Yakutia, and other airlines.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/238369.html

Sandhi Yudha

A rare photo of a Tu-214P in flight. The aircraft is supposedly an ELINT aircraft, but specifics are hard to come by. Though it does have some exterior features...

bmpd -
Nice to see they are still building Tu-204s, and even new versions like this Tu-214R.
Its a good aeroplane, its sad if the export stucks due to production problems with only a couple of airframes a year.......

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lots of good stuff from Krymsk(Millerovo) AB.

dmitrydreamer:

The SMT with its new and enlargen senterline DT(2150L). Interesting shape as well.
Now i do wanna say, in this configuration the SMT look very 'Fat' with the humpback or F-16 block 60 like.

However, the DT can be jettison, the CFT on the block 60 cannot.
Further more, with the new Mig-29K versions coming up, it will most likely see the RD-33MKm engines, which comes in handy due to the weight increase.

But the thing to take away, is that with this configuration, the all time achilles(short duration time) of the Mig-29 series is gone. it packs over 6100L of fuel.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some shots of an Su-34 at Baltimore, carrying R-73 dummies.

bmpd -

Also apparently the MTA project with India is still alive and kicking. Though confirmed details on this new design are scarce.

Lenta.ru:

Also Pantsyr-S1 production for the VVS is accelerating, and is likely to increase. Given their recent efforts to integrate the Pantsyr with the S-300PM, it seems that it will become a staple of Mil-Space Bdes for the future.

http://lenta.ru/news/2012/05/30/pancir/

Haavarla

What do my eyes see.. is it really an R-27P missile on this Su-34??

This is very interesting, been ages sinse i seen one of these mounted on an aircraft or read anyting about them.

nevidimka

The PAK FA development news has gone quiet. Is there any updates on its development?

What is the status of the AL 41 engines? and what about new missiles to equip its internal bays?

Haavarla

The word is, 52 is flying regular(relativ:))
The 51 is beeing re-assembled eighter at Moscow or back in KnAAPO.
The quiet 53.. is still of radar.

Comrade69

Banned Member
Question...is the HAL Il-214 going to be developed for both Russia and India or just India?

I just read that the deal was signed to put them into production in a few years.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The PAK FA development news has gone quiet. Is there any updates on its development?

What is the status of the AL 41 engines? and what about new missiles to equip its internal bays?
Apparently the weapons for it are lose to testing, and now require a functional airframe for it.

Haavarla

I'm trying to put together an complete list of Millitary Russian AB.

This is what i got on 'Foxhound':

Here is the approx stats on Mig-31 AB's:

Schedule Mig-31 executed by the last reorganization of 2012

3958 AFB Savasleika 12
929th Flight Test Center Akhtubinsk (Astrakhan) / Lipetsk? 2
AGP 6980 AFB Bolshoi Savino (Perm) 24
AGP 6980th AFB Kansk 24
4 Agp 6983rd AFB Centralnaya Uglovaya 12
8 Agp 6983rd AFB Elizovo (Petropavlovsk) 12
AGP 7000 AFB Monchegorsk 24
AGP 7000 AFB Khotilovo 24

http://www.mycity-military.com/Avion...xhound_74.html

Thats 11 Sq of Mig-31.
The exact number of units could differ, but on paper there are the Sq level as a metric.
And several other type like Su-27 also operate out of these AFB.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a lot. Pre-reform there were only 10. So they actually re-activated one of the squadrons from reserves? Or did they have some MiG-31s in the AVMF, that got handed over?

Also your link doesn't work. Can you pm me a working one? I'd love to take a look at the T.O.

On another note, we can expect an increase in the size of the VVS over the next several years.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So a few updates. The latest batch of Mi-28N are about to be handed over, and they will also go to Korenovsk.

bmpd -

So even the very first airbase to receive the Mi-28Ns has yet to have a full complement of them.

Also the Eleron-3 and Eleron-10 are undergoing state trials right now. This is a notable delay, as the Eleron-3SV was used in exercises of the 36th Motor-Rifles last year. This means that deliveries are still some time off. It's quite likely that they will go straight to the VDV, as they were the ones who expressed public interest in the Eleron models.

Lenta.ru:

The Russian Military Press Service claims that a fourth regimental set of S-400 has been handed over, and is destined for Nakhodka. This is somewhat odd, as prior to this only 2 regimental sets had been handed over, and the Baltic Fleet received a single btln. However now we're told a whole regiment is located there. This is contrary to previous plans for S-400 deployment, which promised 3 btln this year, 1 BaltFleet, 1 Moscow IADS, and 1 for Nakhodka. If the recent news are accurate, then 4 btln have been handed over this year, 2 for BaltFleet, and 2 for Nakhodka.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/256747.html

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I guess Pak-DA will be a completed project after all now that Putin said they need to go ahead and make it..
In some form or other, yes. However at this point it's unclear whether it will be something similar to the Tu-160, or the Tu-22M3 in terms of size, and payload.

Meanwhile work on the Tu-214P seems to be progressing nicely. Here's another good photo of the first aircraft.

bmpd -

Also T-50-3 has resumed flight testing with a partial avionics package. Radar wise it's currently only carrying the forward-facing antenna in the nose.

bmpd -