Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Klaus

Rossiiskaya Gazeta cites a speech held by Zelin one month ago. He stated that Sukhoi is also developing a manned ground-attack aircraft, which is going to enter yervice by around 2020. What is not said is whether this aircraft will be an improved version of the Su 25 or a new design, only similar in size to its predecessor.
So apparently both manned and unmanned aircraft are being developed for CAS missions.

Ðîññèéñêèå ÂÂÑ ïîëó÷àò íîâûé øòóðìîâèê — Ðîññèéñêàÿ ãàçåòà — Ðîññèéñêèå ÂÂÑ ïîëó÷àò íîâûé øòóðìîâèê

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rossiiskaya Gazeta cites a speech held by Zelin one month ago. He stated that Sukhoi is also developing a manned ground-attack aircraft, which is going to enter yervice by around 2020. What is not said is whether this aircraft will be an improved version of the Su 25 or a new design, only similar in size to its predecessor.
So apparently both manned and unmanned aircraft are being developed for CAS missions.

Ðîññèéñêèå ÂÂÑ ïîëó÷àò íîâûé øòóðìîâèê — Ðîññèéñêàÿ ãàçåòà — Ðîññèéñêèå ÂÂÑ ïîëó÷àò íîâûé øòóðìîâèê
Yes there is a piloted Su-25 replacement under development, which makes a lot of sense, given that even the SM2 package for the Su-25s doesn't involve new engines. And of course there is the question of airframe resource.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some kind of enhanced IFF transponder inside those Su-34 leading edges anyone?

Klaus

@Feanor: Do you know whether this is just a further variant of the Su 25 or a completely new aircraft? The latter option would make more sense, but considering that the new shturmowik is due to enter service within eight years, this would be quite an optimistic plan, considering that no prototype has flown yet.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Feanor: Do you know whether this is just a further variant of the Su 25 or a completely new aircraft? The latter option would make more sense, but considering that the new shturmowik is due to enter service within eight years, this would be quite an optimistic plan, considering that no prototype has flown yet.
The entry into service date is likely to change several times (in the best Russian traditions). However, yes, it's supposed to be an entirely new aircraft rather then an Su-25 upgrade.

Klaus

Would be interesting to know how a 5th generation ground-attack aircraft will look, but, unfortunately, there apparently are no pictures yet.
Anyway, Sukhoi doens't have infinite time for its development and testing as the Su 25s that remain in service are already quite old. I don't know how long their service life can be extended, but by 2025 or so the majority will probably have to be retired.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would be interesting to know how a 5th generation ground-attack aircraft will look, but, unfortunately, there apparently are no pictures yet.
Anyway, Sukhoi doens't have infinite time for its development and testing as the Su 25s that remain in service are already quite old. I don't know how long their service life can be extended, but by 2025 or so the majority will probably have to be retired.
Given how little use many of them have seen (low flight hours and all that) it shouldn't be impossible to extend their service life, or even to produce a limited number of Su-25Ms (a single-seater based on the UBM) to plug the gap while they wait for the next-gen ground attack aircraft.

It's very telling that they're even going for a next-gen ground attack aircraft. It shows a lack of confidence in their ability to achieve results with PGMs and stand-off munitions. In other words a lack of confidence in the entire RMA currently taking place.

amirhessam

Russian Air Force to Get 10 MiG-31BMs This Year

The Russian Air Force's Central Military District will receive its first ten modernized MiG-31BM interceptors this year, the District's press service said on Monday.
"The air forces of the Central Military District will take delivery of 10 MiG-31BM fighter-interceptors and two Mi-26 heavy transport helicopters this year," a Central Military District representative said.
The Russian Air Force has previously said it intends to take delivery of up to 60 MiG-31BMs by 2020, under a contract signed with United Aircraft Corporation in 2011.
The MiG-31BM is a heavily modified variant of the MiG-31, featuring upgraded avionics and digital data links, a new multimode radar, color multi-function cockpit displays, and a more powerful fire-control system. It can detect airborne targets at the range of 320 kilometers (200 miles) and simultaneously track up to 10 targets.
The MiG-31BM can carry new air-to-air missiles including the K-37M long-range air-to-air missile, which has been developed specifically for it according to Douglas Barrie, an air warfare analyst at the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies.
Russian Air Force to Get 10 MiG-31BMs This Year

Haavarla

There are several different specs performance on the Fire & Control radar on Mig-31BM.
I've seen 370km and 400km. But i guess it depends on the size of any target, and search mode.
I wonder how much weight they saved on this upgrade..?
The nose and cockpit section should see a weight reduction.

On a slightly different note, the SSJ-100 seems to haul new contracts by the months..

Sukhoi Company (JSC) - News - News

http://www.take-off.ru/news/117-news01-02-2012/670-t50-3-06-2012

Take-off.ru writes, the '54' will fly in last quarter this year.

The '53'

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen claims that the BM struck air targets at a range of 340km, using iirc the RVV-BD prototype missile. That sounds very impressive, but it makes me wonder. If they're retaining it primarily as an interceptor, then it would follow that those are bomber sized targets. It's one thing to strike an F-16 at 340km, it's another thing to strike a B-52.

On an unrelated note the Ka-32 SAR helos ordered earlier, have been delivered early. They will make a nice replacement for those ancient Ka-27s.

http://lenta.ru/news/2012/06/21/ka32/

Klaus

The VVS celebrate the Tu 22Ms 35th anniversary. According to the MoDs official website there are still more than 100 Tu 22M3s in service (and 11 of the reconaissance version). 30 of them will be upgraded.

Подробнее : Министерство обороны Российской Фед&#

That makes me wonder what is going to happen to the remaining aircraft, that won't be upgraded. Will they all be scrapped? But only 30 medium-range bombers probably wouldn't be a sufficient number, considering the slow production of the Su 34 and that the new PAK DA and the unmanned tactical bomber will enter service not earlier than 2020.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
30 is supposed to be the plan through 2020. The program may continue after that.

On an unrelated note, MiG has reported profits for the first time in years, for the year 2011. They executed on upgrade contracts for India, Bangladesh, Peru, and Syria. They also produced aircraft for Myanmar, Syria, Russia, and India.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/268665.html

Research was also done on further upgrading the SMTs in service with the VVS at this time, and repair was done on MiG-23s from Syria and MiG-29s from Slovakia. A contract was signed for the repair of two MiG-31s from Kazakhstan, and a 5-year service contract with Slovakia for 12 MiG-29.

EDIT: They first new Ka-31R just got handed over to the AVMF. A second one is due later this year.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/270429.html?view=4998237#t4998237

It's currently at the flight center in Yeysk, where they're building the new NITKA for carrier training. A tender for a third chopper was announced, but nobody wanted to participate because the price was unrealistically low. It's unclear how the MoD expects to proceed from here.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
15 Yak-130s are set to be delivered this year, bringing total number up to 27.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

The first S-500 will be delivered next year. It's possible that it will utilize components of the S-400 initially, possibly some of its missiles being integrated into the S-400.

Lenta.ru:
ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

Finally a decision has been made on what the PAK-DA will look like. Unfortunately no information has been released to the public.

Lenta.ru:

19 Ka-52s sounds a bit odd. I thought that before the recent delivery there were 12 at Chernigovka and 4 at Torzhok, making 16.

Klaus

They just write that 20 had been completed until january 2012 and that they now serve at two bases. Until december 2011 16 had been delivered, of which one crashed. I've heard nothing of new deliveries for the last few months, but it seems unlikely to me that not a single Ka 52 should have been handed over in 2012 yet, as the air force will get at least 12 this year.

2013 as the service-entry date for the S 500 sounds a bit optimistic. Not too long ago it was anounced that the first missiles would be ready by 2017.

Do you know whether any of the Yak 130s have already been handed over?

Comrade69

Banned Member
I have a question, can someone share some insight with me on the Mig-35?

I read up on it on Wiki, and I dont get its purpose...is it intended for the VVS and International customers like the Mig-29?

Because I dont see how...as far as VVS goes, they are better of purchasing SU-35's and Pak-FA's.

And as far as international customers goes, I just dont see anything special this plane can do that other 4++ gen fighters cant such as the Eurofighter, Rafale, Jas-39, F-18 Super Hornet, or the SU-35......

What does this plane bring to the table that those planes cant? Thats an honest question im asking, not sarcastic.

It seems like a good fighter for the Latin and Middle Eastern countries that use very old fighters, but even with that I dont see any customers until maybe 5 years from now because those countries really cant afford a large batch of Mig-35's...

So yeah, thats my question..what was Milkoyan's intent when building this fighter..?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

I read up on it on Wiki, and I dont get its purpose...is it intended for the VVS and International customers like the Mig-29?

Because I dont see how...as far as VVS goes, they are better of purchasing SU-35's and Pak-FA's.

And as far as international customers goes, I just dont see anything special this plane can do that other 4++ gen fighters cant such as the Eurofighter, Rafale, Jas-39, F-18 Super Hornet, or the SU-35......

What does this plane bring to the table that those planes cant? Thats an honest question im asking, not sarcastic.

It seems like a good fighter for the Latin and Middle Eastern countries that use very old fighters, but even with that I dont see any customers until maybe 5 years from now because those countries really cant afford a large batch of Mig-35's...

So yeah, thats my question..what was Milkoyan's intent when building this fighter..?
The MiG-35 is intended as the next incremental improvement for MiG-29 customers. Currently they're being offered the SMT/SM and UPG package upgrades for in service MiG-29s, and new build SMTs, Ss, and M2s. The idea is that certain loyal customers (Myanmar, Sudan, Syria, etc.) will want to continue buying updated Fulcrums to use with their currently fleets.

Originally all bets for the MiG-35 rested on the Indian tender. It was a gamble in an attempt to corner the Indian fighter market. Now if/when it enters production, it's hopes will rest with customers like the above. That having been said, putting it into production should not be particularly hard. It's essentially a MiG-29M upgrade. Two MiG-29M upgrade models are already in production, the MiG-29K (currently with 69 aircraft sold) and the MiG-29M2 (24 aircraft sold) meaning a total of run of 93 aircraft at least for the MiG-29M. It is therefore entirely within the scope of possibility that countries like Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, or Algeria would be interested in the MiG-35 provided it comes at a reasonable price, and is actually a complete aircraft, instead of an ongoing project.

Haavarla

The Mig-35 does not bring anything particulary new the the table as you say.
But its an affordable fighter and a decent one as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'old'?
US offered the F-16 and SH platform to India, not exactly new designs is it..

If you meant system wise, ok i understand. But if the price is right, the Mig-35 is a nice fit for many countries AF.
Russia must show them that they can produce a good Radar and other sensor suite, and the Mig design and market will live for years to come.

Last edited: