Russia tests new missiles

Chrom

Here's the source.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

Also I was talking about ICBM launches. This doesn't include SLBMs.
Ah, ok. I talked about both - the difference between them is not that important in big picture after all.

This article claims there were 34 ICBM's launches in 6 years - so almost 6 launches per year on average, ICBM's alone. Add SLBM's - and as i said, about 10 on average. Either way - my point is what both SLBM's and ICBM's in serivce are highly reliable, and it is wrong to question that.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not the reliability of the current inventory that's in question. It's the reliability of the Bulava. And the situation with that missile is not normal. Soviet standards or otherwise.

Chrom

It's not the reliability of the current inventory that's in question. It's the reliability of the Bulava. And the situation with that missile is not normal. Soviet standards or otherwise.
At least for pre-year 2k standards it were perfectly normal. For example, SS-18 had even more failures in development stage, and most other ICBM's and SLBM's also.

As for past year 2k standards... well, Bulava is in fact the fist developed BM in 21 century, so as we see modern development tools do not affect development process as much as many hoped ;)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. That's about right. We're also going to see the first Bulava launch from the Yuri Dolgorukiy this summer.

Wall83

Yep. That's about right. We're also going to see the first Bulava launch from the Yuri Dolgorukiy this summer.
I wounder what will happen to the last Typhoon class submarine when they stop testing the Baluva on it. It should be operational atleast 8-10 more years. Could they rearm it with 20 Baluva missiles perhaps?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be re-armed with Bulava and left operational. It might be the platform for experimental deployment which precedes actual active duty use of a weapon system. (экспериментальная эксплуатация) Or it might get scrapped entirely.

Wall83

Well they have not scrapped two of the older subs in same class so I doubt they will scrap one that is fully operational and up to date.

juliawells

Banned Member
hiiiii

According to various sources and analysts the RS-24 is a heavily modified and upgraded Topol-M (SS-27). Yes the P-500 is the second newest missile tested by the Russians the first is the RS-24. The P-500 is a modernized Iskander-M hence notice the M means -Modernizoveney.

[Mod Edit]Link to commercial site removed[/Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluesaphirro

Reuters.com

Any information on the RS-24 ?
So with Russia introducing their latest ICBM Missile the RS24 does this means that America and Russia are definitely at each others throats again? with that missile having more range I wouldn't be more surprise... :cool:

Admin. before you post anymore, please pause and make the effort to read the rules. Do not respond to posts with another question - stay on track. There is a perception that you are trying to increase your post count responding like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wall83

Acourding to the latest START treaty the russians plans to have about 85 RS-24 ICBMs in service by 2020. The silobased SS-27 will end its production at 60 missiles and the mobile version at 27.
I supose most of the RS-24 missiles will be mobile as well.

One other intresting thing about the treaty is the number of deployed Baluva missiles. 64 is the number of planed missiles by 2020 wich means that only 4 Borei submarines would be in service by then.

New START treaty in numbers - Blog - Russian strategic nuclear forces

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second fully successful launch actually. Two more Bulava missiles are to be tested this year.

I suspect that quality control on the manufacturing end was indeed the issue, given that the plant is overloaded with orders.

Beatmaster

Second fully successful launch actually. Two more Bulava missiles are to be tested this year.

I suspect that quality control on the manufacturing end was indeed the issue, given that the plant is overloaded with orders.
Maybe a little offtopic but iam kinda confused here.
As we all know there are many nations that signed a agreement not to build and distribute nukes or WMD's.
Does this include testing of new ones?
Because i certainly can understand that the outside world would not be happy with a new generation of WMD delivery systems.
So could anyone explain me how this works? What can treaty members do within the rules when it comes to WMD and WMD delivery systems?
As i was thinking that upgrading WMD's is only allowed within certain and controlled agreements?

And how is this new missile differend from the previous generation? or what does it has to offer that russia's existing or previous missiles does not offer?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may be that Russia is aggressively pursuing Bulava alternatives. The Sineva project has re-armed almost all the 667BDRM subs. Now it seems there is a new project, for an SLBM titled Liner. It was tested May 20th, and successfully struck targets on Kura polygon.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Çàïóùåííàÿ ÂÌÔ ÐÔ "Ñèíåâà" îêàçàëàñü "Ëàéíåðîì"

It's likely that this is another upgrade of the Sineva, as the Sineva itself was an upgrade of the R-29. The question is what this upgrade amounts to. The Sineva program itself was not an alternative to the Bulava, but rather a form of insurance that, together with the overhaul, would allow the 667BDRM to remain in service even if the Bulava project is delayed. However will the entire fleet be overhauled and re-armed again with the Liner? This seems unlikely given how recently the Sineva re-armament has commenced. So what is the Liner then? A long-term program to replace the Sineva while leaving the 667BRDM in service? Or a liquid fueled missile for a perspective type of new ballistic sub? Again unlikely, given that the 667BDRM was used as the test platform without substantial modification.

It seems possible, though again not likely, that it's an alternative to the Bulava. So, guesses? Thoughts?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe a little offtopic but iam kinda confused here.
As we all know there are many nations that signed a agreement not to build and distribute nukes or WMD's.
Does this include testing of new ones?
Because i certainly can understand that the outside world would not be happy with a new generation of WMD delivery systems.
So could anyone explain me how this works? What can treaty members do within the rules when it comes to WMD and WMD delivery systems?
As i was thinking that upgrading WMD's is only allowed within certain and controlled agreements?

And how is this new missile differend from the previous generation? or what does it has to offer that russia's existing or previous missiles does not offer?
I believe that you can upgrade and replace on a 1 for 1 (or less than) basis without any restrictions. Export is an issue.

dragonfire

Third Successful Test Launch of the Bulava Missile

Russia successfully tests Bulava ballistic missile

MOSCOW: Russia's navy on Friday successfully test-fired an advanced ballistic missile, the weapon the government hopes will be the future of its nuclear arsenal, the Defense Military said.

The Bulava missile was launched from the Yuri Dolgoruky submarine in the White Sea near Finland, and the missile's warheads reached the Kura testing range on the Pacific Kamchatka Peninsula, some 5,500 kilometers (3,500 miles) away, the ministry spokesman Col. Igor Konashenkov said in televised remarks.
Russia successfully tests Bulava ballistic missile - The Economic Times
When is the serial production slated to start ? With Full range tests having been conducted how far is induction into RuNavy ?

colay

It may be that Russia is aggressively pursuing Bulava alternatives. The Sineva project has re-armed almost all the 667BDRM subs. Now it seems there is a new project, for an SLBM titled Liner. It was tested May 20th, and successfully struck targets on Kura polygon.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Çàïóùåííàÿ ÂÌÔ ÐÔ "Ñèíåâà" îêàçàëàñü "Ëàéíåðîì"

It's likely that this is another upgrade of the Sineva, as the Sineva itself was an upgrade of the R-29. The question is what this upgrade amounts to. The Sineva program itself was not an alternative to the Bulava, but rather a form of insurance that, together with the overhaul, would allow the 667BDRM to remain in service even if the Bulava project is delayed. However will the entire fleet be overhauled and re-armed again with the Liner? This seems unlikely given how recently the Sineva re-armament has commenced. So what is the Liner then? A long-term program to replace the Sineva while leaving the 667BRDM in service? Or a liquid fueled missile for a perspective type of new ballistic sub? Again unlikely, given that the 667BDRM was used as the test platform without substantial modification.

It seems possible, though again not likely, that it's an alternative to the Bulava. So, guesses? Thoughts?

Liner SLBM explained - Blog - Russian strategic nuclear forces
This article claims Liner is indeed derived from Sineva. I would expect the Russians to eventually standardize on a single SLBM. Although Liner can reportedly carry 10 warheadds, is this really an advantage in an age of arms reduction treaties?
My understanding is that Bulava represents the new generation using more modern technology. It too is MIRV-capable and most importantly, it uses solid propellant vs. the Sineva's (and presumably Liner's) liquid-fuelled engine.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Third Successful Test Launch of the Bulava Missile

When is the serial production slated to start ? With Full range tests having been conducted how far is induction into RuNavy ?
We can expect serial production early next year for YD.