RSN capabilities

SGMilitary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Upgraded MCV?

Any link to this RED?

Just couldn't put forward the upgrade possibility as you mentioned most likely

the EW suite or CMC.

Weapons wise, unlikely as our current armaments on the Victory MCV

are considered a LETHAL punch compared to other corvettes in this region.

The Super Pumas are not equipped with any weapons right?

Why did MINDEF deploy them to the Endurance LPD then enroute for Gulf of

Eden?

Are there plans to re-equip the Super Pumas and the LPD to enhance their

weapons arsenal?

I'm looking forward that more S70Bs will be procured, the current 6 on order

are barely enough taking into consideration the maintenance of it.

Any links anyone?

Cheers!

Red

Weapons wise, unlikely as our current armaments on the Victory MCV

are considered a LETHAL punch compared to other corvettes in this region.
I always thought they could use a Typhoon gun at the back. But we`ll see.

The Super Pumas are not equipped with any weapons right?
They are armed with CIS 50 machine guns. They were upgraded by ST Aero; http://www.staero.aero/www/keyoffering.asp?serkeyid=ODAwMDAwMDc

Why did MINDEF deploy them to the Endurance LPD then enroute for Gulf of Eden?
What do you mean? Helicopters would come in handy in such a deployment.

Are there plans to re-equip the Super Pumas and the LPD to enhance their

weapons arsenal?
I dont know. I think they fare pretty well currently.
The Endurance class LPDs are armed with a 75mm Super Rapid gun per ship, mistral missiles and machine guns.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, all Formidable class vessels, 3 Victory Class vessels and 1 Endurance Class vessel training together in the South China sea against surface threats, air threats and underwater threats, with F-16s and other assets acting as enemy.

Nothing surprising for blue water navies but a big step forward for the RSN.

Jermyn Chow said:
Stealth frigates display firepower

Jermyn Chow, ON BOARD THE RSS STEADFAST
19 February 2009
Straits Times
© 2009 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

...SOUTH CHINA SEA: The Singapore navy's six radar-evading stealth frigates demonstrated their firepower in their first major naval exercise yesterday. The frigates, taking part in a two-day, 800-man exercise in the South China Sea, were joined by the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

The frigates were among the 'blue', or friendly, vessels - which included three missile corvettes, one Landing Ship Tank and a submarine - that crippled opposing 'red' forces...

During yesterday's drill, the frigates were key assets, or 'mother ships', that hammered the red forces. They torpedoed the aggressor's submarine, fired Harpoon missiles at ships and 'splashed' hostile planes with anti-aircraft missiles. The 'search, strike and defence' exercise ended at 6 am today.

Chief of Navy Rear-Admiral Chew Men Leong said the frigates are the 'principal nodes that link and orchestrate' all air and sea assets to dominate the battlefield. Besides the big guns of the stealth warships, other 'shooters' that were plugged into the same combat picture were two F-5 Tiger jets. Their coordinated assault took down four 'hostile' F-16 fighter jets quickly and precisely.

RADM Chew said that men and machines were put through their paces to sharpen their fighting skills. Such shakedowns are vital to the Singapore Armed Forces' (SAF) transformation into a more lethal third-generation fighting force.

Sensors like the E-2C surveillance aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles, too, are critical in spotting hostile targets. They act as 'eyes and ears', feeding intelligence and allowing the frigates, which have detection capabilities of their own, to see further, higher and deeper, said Colonel Giam Hock Koon, 41, who commands the six frigates of the 185 Squadron.

Speaking to reporters on board the RSS Steadfast, he said: 'Even if there are more than 20 aircraft coming from different directions, our computers can quickly tell the red from the blue forces, and immediately identify the highest-priority threat to shoot down...
The DSTA developed Fleet Instrumented Sea Training System (FISTS) should have been in use to enable realistic training for the air picture.

Last edited:

Red

The following platforms were involved in the exercise;

6 Frigates(Aster 15s/30s, Harpoons, Torps, 76 mm SR gun,etc)
3 Heavy Missile Corvettes(Baraks, Harpoons, Torps, 76mm SR gun, etc)
1 LPD(Mistrals, 76mm SR gun, etc)
1 Submarine(Torps)
F16s( air to air missiles, harpoons, air to ground munitions etc)
F5S/Ts ( air to air missiles, air to ground munitions, etc)
Super Puma helicopters
E-2C Hawkeye AEW & C plane
Fokker-50 Maritime patrol plane/s(Harpoons and torps)
UAVs(Searcher 2? Hermes ?)
USVs(Protector? Spartan?)(guns/missiles/torps)

It was not just a show of the frigates' capabilities but a show of force in Asean quite literally. There`s enough firepower there to cripple whole Asean navies and airforces. I would expect some sudden diplomatic Qs as per what was going on when Singapore`s neighbours suddenly realized the magnitude of the exercise.

It also showcased RSN`s and RSAF`s high network capabilities as the sensor and shooter platforms are put to the test in a wargame.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was not just a show of the frigates' capabilities but a show of force in Asean quite literally. There`s enough firepower there to cripple whole Asean navies and airforces. I would expect some sudden diplomatic Qs as per what was going on when Singapore`s neighbours suddenly realized the magnitude of the exercise.
IMHO, it is a show of force for the benefit of ASEAN neighbours like Indonesia. While both parties have managed to agree upon a maritime boundary in Feb 2009, it is important to keep in mind the sand dispute of Feb 2007 (when the Indonesian navy intercepted seven ships carrying sand to Singapore and later extended the issue to granite). After all almost everything is imported into Singapore. It is a reminder that we make concessions on the boundary issue out of goodwill and not fear. And also to deter any temptation on the use of force to pressure us in ongoing negotiations (like the proposed extradition treaty) and their allegations of pollution caused by commercial ships.

It is also good to remind the regional/global powers (China/India) that we sit on the junction of a maritime choke point and we can take sides. This would be more directed at China, as China was really very rude when Mr Lee Hsien Loong (LHL) went to Taiwan on a private visit in 2004 (especially since we have consistently upheld the One China policy).

This incident brings to mind China's clumsy and assertive attempts to signal its intention to enforce its territorial claim near and around the Spratly Islands in the 1980s. In 1988, China's navy sank three Vietnamese ships in the Spratly Islands region. IMHO, the 2004 treatment of LHL reinforces the idea that China does not consider ASEAN members as sovereign equals despite the Nov 2002 "Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea" and the 2003 declaration of peace to promote the development of the resources in the disputed islands signed in the Philippines.

Note: Certain ASEAN member states have not been behaving like angels either, seizing or detaining Chinese fishing boats to enforce 'EEZ rights'. Please see note on the Nov 2002 declaration.

Last edited:

Red

LHL`s visit is sometime back. IMHO, ties have been better. But I agree, it was meant to send a message; possibly to multiple countries. Your point about "taking sides" is interesting as there are many scenarios where RSN would partake in US and Australian led naval forces; boosting both forces. We should work towards increasing integration and "jointedness" of our armed forces(land, sea and air) with the two latter nations. The SAF must be ready to contribute when she is called upon by our allies. Recent aerial, naval and ground contributions to global operations seem to point in that direction. This is not about going to war but everyone needs to be prepared if it happens. It is also about leverage and balances to prevent war.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beijing’s Nov 2007 decision to cancel the USS Kitty Hawk’s port visit to Hong Kong is an indication of China’s rising assertiveness as a global power under Hu Jintao. Beyond our hosting of US carriers and participation in US led exercises as indication of where we lean towards, a little RSN exercise serves as a good reminder that we also protect Chinese shipping in the Malacca Straits. Beyond keeping down piracy, the RSN is also capable of engaging in sea denial in war-time situations. The RSN's abilities in "tracking down a submarine" is important in that respect and Xinhua has a report on the RSN exercise. The RSN exercise is also reported on TV in Vietnam.

I note that the 6 Formidable Class vessels are equipped with the EDO Combat Systems' Model 980 Advanced Low Frequency Towed Sonar (ALOFTS) variable depth sonar. The Model 980 uses the SQS-35 VDS body (less than 2.5 m long) and a AN/SQR-18 digital towed array combination. The ALOFTS towed body, deployed through an aft door using an automated launch, tow and retrieve system (LTARS) supplied by ODIM Spectrum, houses 18 flextensional transducers (nine on either side of the body). The fish is towed on a 200 m cable, with an additional 100 m tether to the acoustic aperture. The tail has a 60 m aperture (3X array, 2 kHz), which includes a torpedo detection segment. Please also see my favourite blog on this topic for more details.

I am not sure about our other submarine detection capabilities, as the towed array provides only part of the undersea picture (and the other navies are looking at a 'large number' sensor approach). I would welcome comments.

Notes:
(i) EDO Combat Systems is part of ITT Corporation (see undersea warfare systems).

(ii) The S-70B Seahawk (when deployed in 2010) organic to the Formidable class will be equipped with the HELRAS active dipping sonar by L-3 Communications.

(iii) Bistatic operation, say, between a helicopter and its mother ship’s towed array, or between 2 helicopters or 2 ships, offers some increase in coverage. However, it is the use of multistatics that provides substantial benefits (this would include the use of both active and passive sonar). Therefore it is not surprising that USN's Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, is developing a complementary USV solution to deploy active dipping sonar.

Last edited:

Red

Bistatic operation, say, between a helicopter and its mother ship’s towed array, or between 2 helicopters or 2 ships, offers some increase in coverage. However, it is the use of multistatics that provides substantial benefits (this would include the use of both active and passive sonar). Therefore it is not surprising that USN's Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, is developing a complementary USV solution to deploy the active dipping sonar.
There is a very nice 2 page spread on the exercise by the NEW Paper graphics team. Im trying to get it scanned. It would appear however that it is a little too large for my dimunitive scanner.

Red

Frigates showcase capabilities in Fleet Exercise
Email Article Print Article

Posted: 20 Feb 2009, 1630 hours (Time is GMT +8 hours)

Report by Sheena Tan

Photos by Chua Soon Lye and Timothy Sim

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/pu...ub-0001-TextImage.imindefParsSubtextimage.gif
(From front to back) The frigates, RSS Supreme, RSS Intrepid, and RSS Formidable in formation during the fleet exercise.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/pu...ub-0002-TextImage.imindefParsSubtextimage.gif
On board the RSS Steadfast, personnel manning the radar and navigation systems prepare to guide the ship in formation.

Out in the South China Sea, about 100 nautical miles or 185 kilometres from the shores of Singapore, the ocean calmness was disrupted by a sudden barrage of gunshots.

The shots were fired by the Formidable-class stealth frigate, RSS Steadfast, in a surface firing drill, part of an exercise conducted by the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN).

For the first time, all six of the RSN's stealth frigates participated in an extensive fleet exercise from 18 to 19 Feb.

The fleet became fully operational last month, with the last two frigates, RSS Stalwart and RSS Supreme, commissioned on 16 Jan.

The exercise, involving nearly 800 personnel, also featured three missile corvettes, a Landing Ship Tank and a submarine.

Explaining the exercise objectives to the media on board the RSS Steadfast, Colonel Giam Hock Koon, Commanding Officer of 185 Squadron which comprises the six frigates, said the exercise was aimed at "maximising training opportunities for the men and sharpening the ships' fighting skills."

During the exercise, the frigates displayed their potent defence capabilities and ability to engage in three-dimensional warfare - air, surface and underwater battles.

In an air defence drill incorporating assets and personnel from the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF), an E2C early warning aircraft first identified the presence of hostile forces. Minutes later, the frigates and two F-5 Tiger jets successfully took down four hostile F-16 fighter jets in a simulated battle.

To demonstrate their anti-surface fighting capabilities, the frigates fired shots from their 76-mm main gun at a floating target the size of a small boat. In another drill, the frigates carried out a tactical "search and strike" mission, tracking down an 'enemy' submarine before simulating a torpedo firing at it.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/pu...Pars-00011-TextImage.imindefParstextimage.gif
A Navy personnel loading rounds at the gun bay of the RSS Steadfast's main gun before the firing exercise.

Despite the punishing two-day exercise schedule, the crew maintained a high level of operational readiness without lapsing in concentration.

"My team was very responsive, always ensuring that nothing went wrong during the exercise", said Second Warrant Officer Manicka Vasakar, RSS Steadfast's Chief Weapon Electrical Systems.

With a lean team of 71 personnel on the RSS Steadfast, carrying out all the drills in this fleet exercise was certainly no mean feat. But this did not hamper the crew from giving their best.

Speaking to cyberpioneer, RSS Steadfast's Operations Officer 1, Major Lim Huay Wen said: "It's a shared responsibility, and that's what being in the Navy is all about. It's about teamwork; us working in synergy towards our common goal."

Source: Singapore`s Mindef

Red

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6726/webofdef.jpg

Nice info-spread from The New Paper. While the exercise was large by Asean`s standards, the greater significance is the high degree of net-work centric capability achieved by the RSN and RSAF through the use of various sensors and shooters; including Unmanned Surface Vessels(USVs) and UAVs(Unmanned Aerial Vessels); allowing the RSN and RSAF to see first and shoot first well into the depth of the enemy. I apologize for the uneven image as it is actually larger than my scanner and my friend helped me to scan parts of it and merged it together.

It looks like they used Protector USVs in this exercise or was it the Spartan? Any idea what UAV was used? Organic to RSN`s or RSAF`s?

Last edited:

Red

Scans by Spiderweb, a famous local forum poster;

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/spyder-album3/Singapore/Formidable-ex1-ST20feb2009.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/spyder-album3/Singapore/Formidable-ex3-ST20feb2009.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/spyder-album3/Singapore/Formidable-ex3a-ST20feb2009.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo194/spyder-album3/Singapore/Formidable-ex2-ST20feb2009.jpg

It seems(from the last scan) that the frigate actually launched her own organic UAV. Im not aware RSN has incorporated one for carriage in the frigates. Im thinking it could be locally designed. I am sure they could not launch Hermeses and Searchers from the frigates.

Videos of the exercise by ChineseJunk, Singapore`s foremost defence correspondent;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBdbjeI31wQ"]YouTube - Republic of Singapore Navy's RSS Formidable fires OTO Melara Super Rapido 76mm A-gun[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWnqeYEHb8"]YouTube - RSS Steadfast and Singapore navy Missile Corvettes[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqWz7GFvFc"]YouTube - RSS Steadfast fires OTO Melara Super Rapido 76mm gun[/ame]

Red

This video shows RSS Steadfast, the Republic of Singapore Navy's Formidable-class frigate, participating in combined exercises with maritime forces of nine other nations in the multilateral Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) naval exercise held off the coast of Hawaii recently. Hosted by the United States Navy, the large scale multilateral exercise involved 35 ships, 6 submarines, 150 aircraft and 20,000 personnel from the maritime forces of Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, Peru, Singapore, the United Kingdom and the United States. The video also shows a Harpoon anti-ship missile live-firing by RSS Steadfast.

Nice video taken during Rimpac 2008 with great close-up of RSS Steadfast;

mms://media.mindef.gov.sg/27jul08_EX_RIMPAC_hi.asf

You`ll need to copy and paste the link into your browser to watch it.

Source: Singapore Mindef

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Singapore To Join Anti-Piracy Mission: Minister
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

SINGAPORE - Singapore will send a navy transport ship and two helicopters to support multinational anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden area, the defense minister said Feb. 11.

Teo Chee Hean told parliament that the Southeast Asian city-state - which has one of Asia's most modern armed forces - will send a landing ship tank (LST) and two Super Puma helicopters. He said they will work with the new international counter-piracy task force, known as CTF-151, operating in and around the Gulf of Aden, the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and the Red Sea...
Boeing announced that the RSN had completed trials of the ScanEagle, a long-endurance, fully autonomous unmanned aircraft system (UAS) on a frigate and on a LST. So there may be a chance that the ScanEagle will be deployed to hunt pirates.

See: http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2009/q1/090302a_nr.html

Last edited:

Red

I had thought that they would opt for a domestic solution. A similar UAV by ST was on show at Idex. But I reckon the Scaneagle has greater endurance. It is an excellent UAV and it will integrate well with the Seahawks and USVs carried internally by the Formidables and Endurance class ships.

Red

The Formidables are top of the line frigates in her class and will serve RSN well. RSN or SAF has conceived current and future trends reasonably well and incorporated new technologies and weapons such as Aster 30s that will sustain RSN`s detterrence now and in the future. Things will not be the same again in maritime South East Asia with carriers from USA, China and India and new and better ships and aircrafts from practically all the adjacent maritime countries.

The Victory class will be replaced next decade and undergo upgrades to sustain thier effectiveness whilst a new class of ships is planned and built. Im concerned if RSN is not moving as fast as it should with the changes that is happening now. An anti-air FREMM or FREMM-lite or ST`s own varient would suit RSN well. DCN`s latest FREMM-lite looks good replacements for the Victory class ships;

http://www.dcnsgroup.com/files/pdf/FM 400.pdf

RSN will be able to leverage on automation to reduce manpower and at the same time the extra space can accomodate better and powerful sensors and more weapons and vls cells.
Edit: Perhaps Empar/APAR and a volumetric search radar.

Comments? OPSG?

Last edited:

Vivendi

The Formidables are top of the line frigates in her class and will serve RSN well. RSN or SAF has conceived current and future trends reasonably well and incorporated new technologies and weapons such as Aster 30s that will sustain RSN`s detterrence now and in the future. Things will not be the same again in maritime South East Asia with carriers from USA, China and India and new and better ships and aircrafts from practically all the adjacent maritime countries.

The Victory class will be replaced next decade and undergo upgrades to sustain thier effectiveness whilst a new class of ships is planned and built. Im concerned if RSN is not moving as fast as it should with the changes that is happening now. An anti-air FREMM or FREMM-lite or ST`s own varient would suit RSN well. DCN`s latest FREMM-lite looks good replacements for the Victory class ships;

http://www.dcnsgroup.com/files/pdf/FM 400.pdf

RSN will be able to leverage on automation to reduce manpower and at the same time the extra space can accomodate better and powerful sensors and more weapons and vls cells.
Edit: Perhaps Empar/APAR and a volumetric search radar.

Comments? OPSG?
This looks like a very nice frigate, however, if you are suggesting more frigates, why not just build more Formidable class, and upgrade them? Or do you consider the Formidables to be too small to allow sufficent upgrades in the future?

I was thinking of suggesting corvettes like gowind or Meko CSL(http://www.strategie-technik.de/engl/2/63.pdf) for Singapore but I think I see your point, the way things most likely will develop, Singapore probably wants something bigger and more potent than a corvette...

(I addded the link to the CSL anyway, because I think it looks so good :))

V

Red

This looks like a very nice frigate, however, if you are suggesting more frigates, why not just build more Formidable class, and upgrade them? Or do you consider the Formidables to be too small to allow sufficent upgrades in the future?
More Formidables is a possibility. Singapore Tech Marine can build them fast; they built them in pairs previously. It is also true that the Formidables have space for future upgrades and the intention is to upgrade them. RSN has a tendency to arm her ships to the teeth so long as those ships do not sink; and possibily Israeli influenced.

However, they are still 3200 ton ships and there is not space to add in bigger and powerful sensors like volumetric radars. Admittedly, RSN ships would be operating under the cover of the G550 Phalcon AEW & C planes, however, more long range sensors would be useful.
Especially if you consider current and future bogies in the area. A triangulation of good sensors is what the SAF wants.

Secondly, the SAF is looking at BMD. Suitable platforms would have to be found for sensors and weapons. Given Singapore`s constraints, a good one would be one at sea or a combination of land and sea platforms.

The Victory class are strike vessels. Thier replacements would most likely fill the latter role. They were suitable ships for the threats Singapore faced then but the situation has changed and continues to change. RSN`s scope of operations is wider and further away from the main island of Singapore and key water channels. In addition, RSN is expected to contribute more to allied and coalition global maritime efforts. Not to mention help maintain the balance of forces in Asean vis-a-vis China and India.RSN would not have built the Formidables frigates otherwise if operations are plainly brown water around the Straits of Singapore and Malacca.

The Victory replacements would need to carry good helis, USVs, UAVs, good anti-air, anti-submarine and anti-surface weapons and good sensors. This would suggest a frigate hull.

RSN also saw the limitations of corvettes when RSS Courageous was torn into two in an accident with a merchant vessel. Not to mention limited space for growth in a fast changing environment.

The Singapore Police Coast Guard has arguably assumed bigger roles as well. Essentially, a lot of policing was done previously by RSN boats. This has since changed with the growth of the Coast Guard freeing RSN to focus on sea defence against military threats or threats of a bigger nature. They will still support the Coast Guard`s efforts however and this is where patrol vessels or OPVs come into the picture.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
(i) More Formidables is a possibility...

(ii) Especially if you consider current and future bogies in the area. A triangulation of good sensors is what the SAF wants...

(iii) ...the SAF is looking at BMD. Suitable platforms would have to be found for sensors and weapons...

(iv) The Victory class are strike vessels. Their replacements would most likely fill the latter role. They were suitable ships for the threats Singapore faced then but the situation has changed and continues to change. RSN's scope of operations is wider and further away from the main island of Singapore and key water channels. In addition, RSN is expected to contribute more to allied and coalition global maritime efforts...

(v) The Victory replacements would need to carry good helis, USVs, UAVs, good anti-air, anti-submarine and anti-surface weapons and good sensors. This would suggest a frigate hull.
Good post and much food for thought. I've numbered your ideas to provide a corresponding response. Further, the potential requirements stated by you for the Victory Class replacements do not seem to fit into a single hull. So really, we need to have further discussion on the requirements so as to have clarity of what is more important and from there make an educated guess of what type of technology and what type of platform we would trend towards. As such, I have currently avoided comment on the FREMM-lite or the Meko LCS until I have a better idea of what we really need from the platform replacement.

(i) I would venture a guess that more multi-mission Formidables is unlikely and it is not unexpected that we will upgrade some aspects of the capabilities of Formidable class in the near future. Knowing the RSN, the Victory class replacements must enable us to develop new naval capabilities. Keeping in mind, the Formidables, were replacements for the missile gun boats and are very different in capabilities from the previous class vessels.

(ii) While the important trend is towards sensors, our platform choice will impose certain restrictions on our concept of operations. Strong anti-submarine warfare capabilities must be one of them, given the proliferation of submarines in the South China sea. In fact, we seemed to have largely adopted the sensors used by the USN for anti-submarine warfare. They are good teachers. We need to develop a closer relationship with PACOM and increase our interoperability via suitable platform selection. I'm not concerned about immediate regional submarine fleet or their capabilities. They are just too few in number in comparison to the number and the types of submarines fielded by the Northeast Asian countries. Take for example, China's attack submarines sailed on more patrols in 2008 and she has a fleet of more than 50 submarines. Pentagon officials say "Chinese submarines have very impressive capabilities, and their numbers are increasing..."

(iii) If BMD is the critical criteria, we should just be honest about the size of our naval ambitions and just go the way of an American technology infused AAW destroyer and stop toying with frigate or corvette platforms (which would mean not a 1 for 1 replacement). The problem with this sort of ambitions this size is that it will trigger a regional naval arms race. Having said that we are very much a maritime nation with the 5th largest Singapore flagged merchant fleet in the world. Our naval ambitions should reflect our merchant flag ambitions. OTOH, there should be a limit to our naval budget and I don't see the point of trying to replicate aspects of the USN/Australian capabilities given their much larger budgets...

(iv) In this respect, the Israeli LCS purchase is instructive. And we are keen on lean manning, given our country's manpower restraints. I also like the drop in module concept of the US LCS program, where we can insert a mine hunting module or some other mission specific module and in this way become a value added Australian/USN partner in the littoral water zone.

(v) I also agree that a helo deck is required for the Victory Class replacements.

I don't know if what I wrote makes sense but the above are my initial thoughts. :D

P.S.
(a) Thank goodness our good friend Australia is planning on developing a successor class of submarines to the Colins class and we have much to learn from them.

(b) An option of the Philippines navy is to consider buying our Victory class second hand, in a few years, as a lower cost interim part of their naval capabilities upgrading program (most of their current naval vessels are not able to defend themselves against modern threats).

Last edited:

SGMilitary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the post guys!

I've to agree that Victory Corvettes replacement will be more complex than our already capable Formidable Frigates.

I'm anticipating that all future vessels of the RSN will incorporates stealth technology.

I'm patiently waiting for the modernisation of the BEDOK MCMVs.

However, I'm unsure if the RSN will be procuring more S70Bs as well as replacing our current FK50 MPA which have limited range.

Any information or links for the above?

Thanks & Cheers!