Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Nighthawk.NZ

Looks like a bloody scran bag. Could've given her a clean up and touch up to look tiddly.
My other question was ... and I could be wrong... I thought she went over with her Phalanx CWIS...

Here she is entering Esquimalt
28577447_10157298609333009_570300931682336768_o.jpg
Photo from RNZN Facebook

and now leaving... there be bits missing... they need to check under the pillows or under the couch for the missing bits ...

EoM9L7cWEAACiZa.jpg
Photo NZDF Twitter

RegR

My other question was ... and I could be wrong... I thought she went over with her Phalanx CWIS...

Here she is entering Esquimalt
View attachment 47827
Photo from RNZN Facebook

and now leaving... there be bits missing... they need to check under the pillows or under the couch for the missing bits ...

View attachment 47828
Photo NZDF Twitter
Perhaps TM went over without its CIWS so they left TKs with her to be fitted on completion and TK can just fit TMs one on RTNZ?

Nighthawk.NZ

Perhaps TM went over without its CIWS so they left TKs with her to be fitted on completion and TK can just fit TMs one on RTNZ?
That is a good possibility... as I do think the removed Te Mana's CWIS before leaving... and they are pretty much bolt back on then plug and play.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Are they upgrading to 1B2? If so,that would probably explain the need for time to make the changeover, allowing the mounts to be refurbished.

Nighthawk.NZ

Photo Lockheed Martin

Is that 2 FAR-3320W one on the yardarm and and one opposite... ... makes sense else you get blind spot like you have on the leanders 1006 nav radar... just wondering why not put the opposite on the opposite yardarm...

Well the frigates are still the best informed targets ... as they don't really have anything to deal with that information ... lol

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
You know, I don’t think that there are any ship stability or engineering reasons why the RNZN frigates couldn't be fitted with a four cell NSM AShM box launch system. The only real reason why they haven't got shipboard AShM is political and financial.

Nighthawk.NZ

You know, I don’t think that there are any ship stability or engineering reasons why the RNZN frigates couldn't be fitted with a four cell NSM AShM box launch system. The only real reason why they haven't got shipboard AShM is political and financial.
I agree... I don't believe there is either, even after the sideways-upgrades ;-) It was mentioned in the last issue of "Navy Today" that the weight of HMNZS Te Kaha works out to be about the same as it was before the upgrades. (Although still missing 6 tons of CWIS Phalanx) Which means there is still room (weight wise) to be able to add more top weight for whatever reason if needed. And... I am pretty sure they were fitted for but not with before hand... but I don't know if that is the case after all the wiring upgrades etc...

I don't think it is financial as adding the launchers and missile system would not be over all that expensive, as it is only to 2 vessels say 8 missiles each plus launchers, example RGM-84 Harpoon (yes older and out dated but we can tack into the Aussie, Canada US supply line and maintenance) I would prefer a more modern missile but these are better than none as we have now... any-who) just for say 16 missiles (8 per ship similar configuration to what the Aussies have) is 32 million just for the missiles... if the frigates are still FFBNW it should be plug and play with a bit of a software upgrade to the CMS330. The project could be done for say 50 mil(ish) pership... after the initial install the following year get your extra missiles etc...

Being a government project there will be cost over runs... and that is only if the frigates are still FFBNW.

I believe it is more political will... I was surprised they even kept the Penguin AShM when we got the Aussie SH-2G(I)'s.

PS I only used harpoon as an example as I roughly know the cost of etc... and as an example.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Penguin came with the Aussie Seasprites and the reason I have gone with the Kongsberg NSM is that it is now part of the USN inventory and IIRC it's going on the new RCN frigates. We'd be fools to buy Harpoon now.

Nighthawk.NZ

We'd be fools to buy Harpoon now.
I agree... was only an example even then I don't believe it would that expensive to equip 2 frigates with that capability, hence why I say it is more political will than financial hardship... even in todays world...

Side note; saw a report the other day we are doing a lot better than predicated on NZ economy set to end year only 3% down, 'phenomenal' result compared to most other nations which explains why I have been so damned busy at work we are actually struggling to keep up...lol

So with a result like this there might not be to many cutbacks... though they can still use it as an excuse

Redlands18

I agree... was only an example even then I don't believe it would that expensive to equip 2 frigates with that capability, hence why I say it is more political will than financial hardship... even in todays world...

Side note; saw a report the other day we are doing a lot better than predicated on NZ economy set to end year only 3% down, 'phenomenal' result compared to most other nations which explains why I have been so damned busy at work we are actually struggling to keep up...lol

So with a result like this there might not be to many cutbacks... though they can still use it as an excuse
Australia’s Recession is technically over too, our Economy grew by 3% last Qtr.
I don’t think to many people will be surprised if Australia orders the NSM either in the next few years.

chis73

Is that 2 FAR-3320W one on the yardarm and and one opposite... ... makes sense else you get blind spot like you have on the leanders 1006 nav radar... just wondering why not put the opposite on the opposite yardarm...

Well the frigates are still the best informed targets ... as they don't really have anything to deal with that information ... lol
I think it is one FAR-3320W nav radar on the front yardarm(?) of the foremast. There is a Sharp Eye 2D nav radar (X-band I think) atop the mainmast (if you can call it that) that serves as the main nav radar. The FAR-3320W looks like it's just covering the blindspot the Sharp Eye radar has due to the new foremast.

The RNZN, as well as the NZDF as a whole, IMHO is on the brink of being militarily impotent at present. They are pretty well logistically impotent as well. HMNZS Aotearoa has apparently been sitting idle nearly six months due to the inability of overseas suppliers to install her equipment during the COVID lockdown (link). NZ has nowhere to even dry-dock her in-country. Very little ship repair, no shipbuilding capability, no weapons production, almost no merchant marine and really long, easily-interdicted supply lines. We're screwed if a real war breaks out! The NZDF is a fair-weather force only.

I suspect Sea Ceptor is a year or two from being ready to use as well. I doubt we will see a test-firing until RIMPAC 2022 at earliest.

Getting Harpoons would make more sense if we were also buying some air-launched versions for the P-8s. The Aussie Anzacs rarely carry 8 missiles I suspect (just the tubes I would think to save weight). The UK has pulled all the Harpoons off it's ships.

Until video shows up on Youtube of a SH-2G(I) firing a Penguin (like we had for the Maverick equipped SH-2G(NZ)), I remain skeptical that that capability even works as well after reading the Australian Audit Office report on the Seasprite (due to centre of gravity issues when you drop the weapon). We were supposed to have a test firing at RIMPAC 2016 - then all of a sudden it didn't happen. Nothing at subsequent RIMPACs either. We have seen a photo of the SH-2G(I) carrying 2x Penguins (minus the droptanks that they usually carry - so aircraft range must be seriously handicapped). Australia had I think 100 Penguins for sale, NZ bought some (but it has never been said publicly how many).

chis73

Sharp eye is on the rear mast where sps49 use to be
Rear mast / mainmast = same thing. The Sharp Eye is S-band (not X-band as I thought). Pretty sure there is supposed to be a second Furuno FAR-3320W X-band nav radar on the foremast somewhere (maybe it's hidden from view in the photo). I definitely got it wrong in my previous post (the ship has been gone so long I can't even remember the details anymore!) :rolleyes:

P.S. Here's a good diagram of the new systems on Te Kaha (link)

Last edited:

Nighthawk.NZ

I won't say who did the original pic... because it is frowned upon posting to your own blog... ;-) So here is one that has been shared by other people...

I believe the second dome on the bridge and the dome on the aft mast is the CAMM Fore/Aft post-launch guidance.

Post above HMNZS Aotearoa leaving Auckland... and was seen at Marsden point this morning...

129249479_3306111442850477_3519079995631706793_n.jpg
Photo credit Bryan Shankland I would post a link to it on Facebook but it is a private group and unless you a in that group you wouldn't see it and the post wouldn't work ... there are a few other cool photos of her as well at Marsden Point.

Last edited:

JohnJT

The Penguin came with the Aussie Seasprites and the reason I have gone with the Kongsberg NSM is that it is now part of the USN inventory and IIRC it's going on the new RCN frigates. We'd be fools to buy Harpoon now.
The NSM weight is also significantly lower than Harpoon (410kg vs 691kg), which makes top weight less of an issue.

The NSM is an amazing piece of kit. Lightweight, stealthy and a zero emission sensor. Good luck detecting it before it's too late. Impossible to jam because there's nothing to jam. Add to that an internal library of target profiles allowing discrimination between vessels to pick the right target and attack it's most vulnerable area. And it has land attack capability.

Well HMNZS Aotearoa at Marsden Point filling her tanks... which makes me wonder are Refining NZ still thinking of closing Marsden Point????

At the moment they are planning to reduce production and reduce staff numbers by 25% to reduce operating losses. In the longer term the proposal is to become an import only/storage facility. It certainly will be a blow to the local economy either way.

Refining New Zealand plans to cut jobs, reduce fuel production | RNZ News