Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

t68

God I wish they would do the subtitles :D But seriously though, a really impressive piece of kit, BZ NZ, she will serve you very well indeed !

I watched it with subtitles, when viewing on IPhone just click on the video and if a keyboard type icon appears tap on it and it generally has an auto English subtitles menu to click on. Not quite word for word but good enough as I’m hearing impaired in my old age come in handy

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
God I wish they would do the subtitles :D But seriously though, a really impressive piece of kit, BZ NZ, she will serve you very well indeed !
I watched it with subtitles, when viewing on IPhone just click on the video and if a keyboard type icon appears tap on it and it generally has an auto English subtitles menu to click on. Not quite word for word but good enough as I’m hearing impaired in my old age come in handy
Not our fault that you Australians can't understand the Queens English. :p :D

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
On my diving course being towed alongside, and then recovered into, a moving rubber duck was part of the training. I don’t remember it’s being particularly difficult, but then it was 50 something years ago.

MickB

Seen similar actions portrayed in several movies.
The Frogmen, about the birth of USN UDT units and G I Jane are the first that come to mind.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
On my diving course being towed alongside, and then recovered into, a moving rubber duck was part of the training. I don’t remember it’s being particularly difficult, but then it was 50 something years ago.
Seen similar actions portrayed in several movies.
The Frogmen, about the birth of USN UDT units and G I Jane are the first that come to mind.
Ahh but today there is health and safety and political correctness so mummy's little boys and girls won't be hurt or offended. However having said that there is no excuse for a course instructor to breach standing orders and Navy Orders.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
However having said that there is no excuse for a course instructor to breach standing orders and Navy Orders.
No, certainly not - but I suspect we don’t have the full story here. Sadly, there is the occasional death of a diver. One of my first experiences in the Navy, aged about 15, was to search the foreshore of JB looking for two divers missing during a AWKEX and subsequently found to have drowned.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not sure I agree with your sentiment. Thereis a balance that needs to be found.
You are correct there is a balance that has to be found and I think that the difficulty is finding the correct balance. I think that we cannot afford to err far to much on the side of caution because it's a dangerous business at the best of times and people should be trained and gain experience in the dangerous activities under controlled conditions, in order for them to be able to handle them in an combat conditions or an emergency. By wrapping them in cotton wool, as some people want isn't going to them later on. My other point about the instructor though is that who ever he / she was definitely over stepped the mark by going against standing orders.
No, certainly not - but I suspect we don’t have the full story here. Sadly, there is the occasional death of a diver. One of my first experiences in the Navy, aged about 15, was to search the foreshore of JB looking for two divers missing during a AWKEX and subsequently found to have drowned.
No I don't, but I note that the instructor was beached and demoted to civilian.

RegR

It's a dangerous job no 2 ways about it, much like SAS traning has to be as realistic as possible to achieve the best outcome and ironically avoid casualties so too does navy diving (some consider them the elite of the navy as well and I would be inclined to agree), it's the practices, procedures and preventative measures conducted by all involved that make or break a training ex, literally, as has been shown by all services all corps over the years with varying degrees of severity but then again this is why we conduct these types of drills year in year out, to actually minimise risk and better achieve success in training and in realtime.