Royal New Zealand Air Force

Nighthawk.NZ

A definite yes to the MQ-9B SeaGuardian.
ditto... but I doubt it.

40kg isn't a lot - 40 lts of freshwater at sea level. However the prototype is just that. Undoubtedly they will have a plan for a larger variant capable of carrying heavier payloads. However, there are CubeSats which aren't large and have Earth Observation & Remote Sensing Capabilities. What their resolution is like I don't know. It may be feasible to use the remote sensing technology from them on this platform, but if the payload weight problem can be addressed, then there is still the matter of power generation and consumption. It's great when it's daylight, but what about darkness?
40 kg isn't that much... but that is the weight of the drone itself not it's payload I would suggest any payload would be much less than that if any and still fly in its mission profile. eg range, celling height, speed, etc

When you mention cubesats, the average weight of a 12U cubesat is a 24kg which is bugger all. (a mid sized cubesat you can get smaller as 1kg small a and larger ones) Main reason cubesats can be so small is there is no thrusters , fuel, control systems and only basic comms etc... just the bare sensors and components for its mission. If wanting to have more control the satellite becomes much bigger or is plonked upon something like the Photon from Rocketlab etc.

It depends upon how light a maritime surveillance radar can be made and its power consumption, along with the desired resolution.
Exactly, and the power of the electric engines, solar panels for charging any batteries (which is adding dead weight)

We shall see but I think that this is a project that govt should get in behind and fully support.
Looks interesting ... they say it has a flight time of 16 hours but until a prototype is built and tests are done they can say anything on paper... it may only turn our to have a flight time of 10 hrs especially once you start adding in payload etc...

Last edited:

Teal

Thank you to the Guys n Gals of 14 Sqn for the surprise five ship display practice in Taupo, looked great. From my location it looked like it was centered on the old Taupo airstrip (now gliding club and race course). They got in before the rain, yay.

Teal

Good morning All
Promulgated to those who my not have seen or heard about. Copied from
#NZAirForce #Force4NZ

T

ORION FLYPAST ALERT ✈ Before we bid farewell to our remaining Orion fleet, we will conduct a three-ship formation flypast around the North Island to celebrate the fleet's service of more than 55 years. We're not crying, you are
The maritime patrol aircraft will depart Base Auckland on Tuesday 24 January at around 10:00 am. Weather and operational conditions permitting, the main centres we’ll be flying over as follows:
- Whenuapai - close form fly past to begin route.
- Port Waikato – 10:43 am
- Hamilton – 10:55 am
- Cambridge – 10:59 am
- Tāupo – 11:15 am
- Tūrangi – 11:23 am
- Desert Road – 11:30 am
- Ohakea - close form fly past 11:43 am
- Kāpiti Coast – 11:55 am (Paraparaumu)
- Wellington Harbour (close formation flypast) - 12:10 pm
- Carterton – 12:26 pm
- Masterton – 12:31 pm
- Dannevirke – 12:45 pm
- East Coast to Napier - 1:03 pm
- Gisborne - 1:27 pm
- Whakatāne – 1:45 pm
- Tauranga – 1:58 pm
- Pauanui Beach 2:10 pm
- Great Barrier Is – 2.22 pm
- Whangārei – 2:43 pm
- Whenuapai via the Harbour (close formation fly past) - 3:00 pm
To the South Island, we have not forgotten you. The final flight of two Orions to Base Woodbourne, where the retired fleet is being stored, will take place on 31 January with a close-formation flypast over the South Island. Details will be published in due course.
Since the mid-1960s, we’ve employed six P-3K2 Orions for airborne surveillance and reconnaissance of Aotearoa New Zealand's areas of economic interest, exclusive economic zone, the South Pacific and the Southern Ocean, including Antarctica. They have also operated beyond our region. Four Boeing P-8A Poseidons will be replacing the Orions.

At lakes

NZ7003 first to go. I read somewhere that this one is going to be parted out to keep the others flying???
I also flew in her back from Singapore in the olden Daze via Adelaide of all places

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

NZ7003 first to go. I read somewhere that this one is going to be parted out to keep the others flying???
I also flew in her back from Singapore in the olden Daze via Adelaide of all places
Yep, one is going to the Air Force Museum at Wigram at some stage. Will be a real short landing run :D Same when one of the P-3K2s goes there.

recce.k1

Meanwhile, maintenance staff have commenced training at Little Rock Air Force Base as part of a 3 year project to prepare them for the C-130J introduction into service.

(Perhaps that also helps to explain why the P-3 (no 5) Squadron was shut down 5-6 months earlier than planned - to allow some maintenance staff to transfer to assist with servicing the existing C-130H fleet (and filling in for any attrition loss), allowing a greater mass of some of their maintainers to become proficient with the C-130J)?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
When the P-8 Poseidons were ordered for the RNZAF, IIRC no ordnance order was placed with or alongside the Poseidon order. This leaves the RNZAF with whatever ordnance it had for the P-3K Orions which is also compatible with the P-8 Poseidon. Not quite sure what NZ might still have in inventory which is also not life of type expired, but it would be quite limited. From what I can recall, the P-3K's were able to use Mk 82, Mk 83 & Mk 84 bombs, Mk 44 & Mk 46 LWT's, and AGM-65 Maverick missiles. I do not believe the P-8 Poseidon had any of these integrated except for the Mk 46 LWT. Effectively leaving the Kiwi Poseidons with the ability to engage in ASW ops, but effectively unable to carry out anti-shipping ops. Having an asset which can carry out broad area maritime surveillance, but have no ability to do anything if a surface threat is detected is rather limiting.

I would hope that in time, the NZDF does see the wisdom in acquiring long-ranged AShM which can be carried by RNZN vessels, as well as RNZAF aircraft like the naval helicopters and Poseidons. However, I am not willing to assume that this will actually happen.

Also as a side note, the ANZUS treaty is actually still in effect, having never been formally revoked. The security obligations between the US and NZ have effectively been suspended since the mid-80's, but the obligations between the US and Australia, as well as those between Australia and NZ remain in force. In essence, if Australia is attacked, NZ has an obligation to respond and vice versa. This is where the unfortunate reality intrudes in that if NZ needed to respond, there just is not much in the cupboard which would be really useful.
RNZAF MK54 Mod 0 LWT’s were ordered under a USN contract amendment for the existing USN MK54 production program.

Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems, Braintree, Massachusetts, is awarded a $23,151,045 fixed-price, cost-plus-fixed-fee and cost only modification to previously awarded contract N00024-18-C-6405 to exercise options for the production of MK54 MOD 0 lightweight torpedo (LWT) array kits, associated production support material, spares, and engineering and hardware support services. This contract combines purchases for the U.S. government (12%): and the governments of the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Spain, and Brazil (88%) under the foreign Military Sales (FMS) program. This modification is in support of the MK54 MOD 0 LWT program. Work will be performed in Braintree, Massachusetts (70%); and Lititz, Pennsylvania (30%), and is expected to be completed by April 2025. Fiscal 2019 weapons procurement (Navy) funds in the amount of $1,999,019 (9%); fiscal 2021 weapons procurement (Navy) funds in the amount of $800,009 (3%); and Foreign Military Sales (governments of the Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Spain, and Brazil) funds in the amount of $20,352,017 (88%) will be obligated at time of award, of which $1,999,019 will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, D.C., is the contracting activity.

recce.k1

RNZAF MK54 Mod 0 LWT’s were ordered under a USN contract amendment for the existing USN MK54 production program.
Finally confirmation (of sorts) from the RNZAF themselves. Air Force News (Jan/Feb 2023) page 25:

W E A P O N S
• Mark 54 torpedo, used to destroy its target. This is an upgrade from the P-3K2s Mark 46 torpedo and the version that rest of the world’s P-8A fleets use
(We shall have to wait and see if the defence policy review recommends additional, longer range stand-off capabilities)!

Gracie1234

Does anyone have thoughts on why this video includes armed drones?

I wonder if this is part of the campaign to rearm the airforce i.e. get people comfortable with the idea first by introducing it as part of these sort of videos. Good to see the P8 is armed with the Mark 54.

While it would be great to see fast jets back in the sky, I would expect that the only path for the RNZAF is going to be via drones to deliver offensive weapons. I acknowledge they are not in their final form today, but in the next decade this capability is going to become more capable and it makes sense to leverage what our partners are investing in.

I would not be surprised if we invest in drones that can operate independently or operate in partnership with the P8s. The P8 I expect will be able to serve as a communication link that is held out of harm's way.

Gibbo

Does anyone have thoughts on why this video includes armed drones?

I wonder if this is part of the campaign to rearm the airforce i.e. get people comfortable with the idea first by introducing it as part of these sort of videos. Good to see the P8 is armed with the Mark 54.

While it would be great to see fast jets back in the sky, I would expect that the only path for the RNZAF is going to be via drones to deliver offensive weapons. I acknowledge they are not in their final form today, but in the next decade this capability is going to become more capable and it makes sense to leverage what our partners are investing in.

I would not be surprised if we invest in drones that can operate independently or operate in partnership with the P8s. The P8 I expect will be able to serve as a communication link that is held out of harm's way.
Here's a fairly good summary of what this relates to... even much of the wording seems to have found its way into the video. My take is the new system is largely all around moving standards into the 21st century along with the 21st century systems the RNZAF is now operating, or moving to... platforms; systems; procedures etc.

With regard to the drones I'd say one of the things this new system will define is contemporary operating rules around use of drones & as such is an enabler for moving more into that space, which frankly the NZDF seems so much behind other militaries in adopting, but good luck with squeezing any cash out of any NZ Govt in the next decade as they focus on fixing the effects of cyclones & the like. I don't think it means a lot at all, just a presentation with supplied graphics!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The 2nd Poseidon, NZ4802 is in transit to NZ. It arrived in Hawaii on Thursday after departure from Seattle. It left Hawaii this morning (NZDT) and is at present in the air somewhere between Hawaii and presume Fiji. It can be found on flight trackers using the callsign POSIDN1 or the rego number NZ4802.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The 2nd RNZAF P-8 Poseidon (NZ4802) arrived at Ohakea on Monday 20th March 2023 in the afternoon. It is thought that 03 will arrive next month and 04 the month after.

recce.k1

Naval News article on the Mk 54 Lightweight torpedoes being acquired for the Poseidons, as always with munition acquisitions for NZDF the details are rather scant.

Sarah Minson, Deputy Secretary, Capability Delivery at the New Zealand Ministry of Defence told Naval News that “operational sensitivity” prevents them from discussing details, including quantity and timeframe, of the previously undisclosed purchase.

“The MK 54 Torpedo is included in the P-8A Poseidon purchase. Operational sensitivity precludes us from providing any further details.”

Last edited: