Royal New Zealand Air Force

Hone C

Just a note to this, I did read some years ago an article that claimed that when the anti nuke legislation was passed Lange was overseas and that the loony left had managed to alter it with out him knowing. This was in the days before PC's Emails etc. possible? I don't know how true this is.
IIRC, Lange was in NZ during the passage of the anti-nuclear legislation, but was not during the visit of the USS Buchanon. This should have been a fairly routine port visit but permission was denied due to the vessels theoretical possibility of carrying nuclear depth charges, which was the USN's policy to neither confirm nor deny.

In any case the damage was done, and the rest, as they say, was history.

Last edited:

RegR

RegR

I'm struggling to understand your arguments. As best as I can make out, RNZN, NZ Army, and RNZAF, should be grateful for what they have because we can't man equipment anyway; has new equipment coming; or, did not use them in Timor, is your position. Simply, this sounds like the boiled frog not noticing that it is being cooked!

To suggest that the death nail for ACF being scrubbed was because it didn't contribute to Timor is intellectually lazy and simply incorrect. And that because 4 P8 and 5 C130 are arriving in a couple of years this somehow hides the gapping chasm of NZ procurement which has a few 55 year old aircraft as the front line of our air power.

If W Coy is a win, how many infantry companies does RNZIR now have? In my day it was 1.5 RF plus 6 under strength TF Battalions with the planned ability to form a light brigade. There seems to be absolutely zero prospect of NZ being able to perform another Timor type mission in a permissive environment let alone an actual war fighting deployment in defence of Australia.

As this is a RNZAF forum, do you seriously find our current force structure comparable to RAAF?
Exactly, so which part do you not understand, the ongoing manning issues, the new equipment coming on-board or what we did or did not use/send to ET in 1999? They are not exclusive they literally happened or are happening.

I'm not saying the decision (by the Aussies btw) not requiring the skyhawks to take part in ET was not the death nail but you can't deny it would not have played a factor in the final decision. Again if we are not even going to use them in our own backyard then when are?? Probably never right, hence they're now gone.

With W coy raised they will be back to 3 inf coys for 1R. Again the coys were not at full strength even back then, but RNZIR still went, is that in denial? Guess it all depends on what you are expecting NZ to send in the first place as yes, I highly doubt they are going to send a brigade?? or even both RF bns tbh.

Why are we always comparing NZs military to Australias? Is it because we are neighbours so we have to have a comensurate percentage of numbers, equipment, etc based on what? Our population?? I would like to think there is a bit more to it then just trying to out do the Smiths over the fence. There would be a few other determining factors I would like to see NZ "match" Australia before any number of infantry battalions.

I never have and never will compare RNZAFs structure to RAAF, that is literally some other guys fantasys not mine.

RegR

On an overall defence basis I would disagree with this, When compared with Australia for interest, our population is about 20% of Australia our armed forces are way short of 20% of Australia's our expenditure is way short of 20% is again, even on a GDP basis we are way short.
What else would you apply this percentage to? Healthcare? pay rates? Education? Police expenditure? Or does it only apply to the military? Again, why Australia? Are they somehow our default baseline? If so I should be expecting a hefty pay rise for Christmas, 3x as much according to some figures, that's how it works right? Australia does it so NZ should as well?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Just a note to this, I did read some years ago an article that claimed that when the anti nuke legislation was passed Lange was overseas and that the loony left had managed to alter it with out him knowing. This was in the days before PC's Emails etc. possible? I don't know how true this is.
Yep it was Geoffrey Palmer and Helen Clarke.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What else would you apply this percentage to? Healthcare? pay rates? Education? Police expenditure? Or does it only apply to the military? Again, why Australia? Are they somehow our default baseline? If so I should be expecting a hefty pay rise for Christmas, 3x as much according to some figures, that's how it works right? Australia does it so NZ should as well?
You did say that (I'd say for it's size and population the NZDF contributes as well as can be expected )I don't remember mentioning anything about the items you have since raised. I would also say that during the 1980's we spent over 2% and some times close to 3% GDP on defence. We are way short of that now.

RegR

You did say that (I'd say for it's size and population the NZDF contributes as well as can be expected )I don't remember mentioning anything about the items you have since raised. I would also say that during the 1980's we spent over 2% and some times close to 3% GDP on defence. We are way short of that now.
So you don't think our military does contribute relative to it's size? We literally deployed a bn gp to ET for 3 years, a coy sized gp to Afghanistan for a decade, platoon sized elements concurrently to Timor leste, Solomons, Sinai and those are just the the regulars not including HADR responses and the like, I would actually say for an army based around 2 RF bns and 1 (let's be honest) reserve bn that's actually quite a decent output.

I'm raising the other points, like I said does your Australia/NZ comparison encompass any other determinates or is NZ only supposed to keep pace with Australia militarily? That's quite selective then otherwise wouldn't you say? TBH we cannot match Australia for a lot of things so I struggle to think why some feel, of all things, we are going to somehow do it with our military, military budget or military equipment?? There's a reason Australia can easily afford 2%, because the other 98% is still huge in itself in comparison and trying to relate that to the NZ economy on a 1 for 1 basis is almost laughable. Surely you are not in denial that the Australian economy is the rockstar in relation to our busking economy in comparison so can you see how they can literally "afford" the military they have? We do ok but we are most definitely not in the same league even in the current financial climate. They still have manning issues themselves and are amongst the best paid militaries on the planet so guess yea we could bump up the funding, in salaries, and go from there.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So you don't think our military does contribute relative to it's size? We literally deployed a bn gp to ET for 3 years, a coy sized gp to Afghanistan for a decade, platoon sized elements concurrently to Timor leste, Solomons, Sinai and those are just the the regulars not including HADR responses and the like, I would actually say for an army based around 2 RF bns and 1 (let's be honest) reserve bn that's actually quite a decent output.

I'm raising the other points, like I said does your Australia/NZ comparison encompass any other determinates or is NZ only supposed to keep pace with Australia militarily? That's quite selective then otherwise wouldn't you say? TBH we cannot match Australia for a lot of things so I struggle to think why some feel, of all things, we are going to somehow do it with our military, military budget or military equipment?? There's a reason Australia can easily afford 2%, because the other 98% is still huge in itself in comparison and trying to relate that to the NZ economy on a 1 for 1 basis is almost laughable. Surely you are not in denial that the Australian economy is the rockstar in relation to our busking economy in comparison so can you see how they can literally "afford" the military they have? We do ok but we are most definitely not in the same league even in the current financial climate. They still have manning issues themselves and are amongst the best paid militaries on the planet so guess yea we could bump up the funding, in salaries, and go from there.
No, what is achieved is remarkable with what they currently have. what I have a problem with is the size of our military and the fact that it is hopelessly underfunded in comparison with what was getting in the past at around the 1990's. and that this is our politicians fault. As I said before we were spending in excess of 2% and at the Hight of the cold war we even reached 3%, so it can be done. You need to stop using statistics incorrectly as the way you are using them falls under the the old saying of "Lie's, damn lie's followed by statistic's"

Gibbo

The first RNZAF P-8A Poseidon NZ4801 arrived at Fiji's Nadi International Airport this arvo after overnighting at Honolulu. I have been following it on Flight Radar.

From what I have been told, the official handover is at Ohakea on Tuesday, but I do not know what time. Nor do I know yet when it's due to arrive at Ohakea. I would presume that it will either be tomorrow or Monday in order to ensure everything is spot on and tiddly for the handover.

It has been posted on a well known NZ aviation site that a Poseidon Training Unit has been stood up at Ohakea and will train NZ based crews and groundies. 5 Sqn will continue to fly the P-3K2 Orions until they are withdrawn from service. Once that happens and the Poseidons achieve IOC, the PTU will become the new 5 Sqn. One Orion will be sent to the Air Force Museum at Wigram, Christchurch, with the remaining five being sold to be used as water bombers.
Touched down at Ohakea @ 1203hrs... circuit fairly busy at the time including AW109 (02) doing what I suspect was capturing aerial publicity shots of the arrival & KingAir 2350 scurrng away down towards the new 5sqn base so maybe a VIP snooping around. 4801 came across Akl CBD (@ 32000 ft I'm told), avoided Whenuapai. A new chapter beings!

Last edited:

Gibbo

No, what is achieved is remarkable with what they currently have. what I have a problem with is the size of our military and the fact that it is hopelessly underfunded in comparison with what was getting in the past at around the 1990's. and that this is our politicians fault. As I said before we were spending in excess of 2% and at the Hight of the cold war we even reached 3%, so it can be done. You need to stop using statistics incorrectly as the way you are using them falls under the the old saying of "Lie's, damn lie's followed by statistic's"
Correct, what is achieved is indeed remarkable with what they currently have. Funding has been set at a level that will not in the long-term maintain existing capability and accordingly now the NZDF would struggle able to replicate ET; Afghanistan; etc deployments. What we can do now is a lot less than we could 30 years ago... it's a downward spiral. Since ET the AirForce is half the size it was (ACF & med. transports gone = substantially less regional presence) & Navy close to half that size with 1/3 of that reduced fleet also now laid up... again = substantially less regional presence.

Even HADR is a drag on resources now...if it wasn't for the utter professionalism of the ranks we'd be poked!

recce.k1

Touched down at Ohakea @ 1203hrs... circuit fairly busy at the time including AW109 (02) doing what I suspect was capturing aerial publicity shots of the arrival & KingAir 2350 scurrng away down towards the new 5sqn base so maybe a VIP snooping around. 4801 came across Akl CBD (@ 32000 ft I'm told), avoided Whenuapai. A new chapter beings!
Here ya go Gibbo, snapped at 10,000m over Auckland (hope you had your binoculars handy ;)), landing at Ohakea and now looks like it is parked on the hardstand by the Air Movements Terminal?

According to the ZK Aviation link, the arrival ceremony is tomorrow.

(Weather forecast tomorrow appears to be fine or cloudy for the morning, then possibly heavy rain and thundery for the afternoon, which might be kinda appropriate for a "Poseidon"). :D

Last edited:

RegR

Theyre not statistics, they're facts, I'm not actually using statistics at all. this may shock you but the pay in the the forces is a whole lot better then when I was in and a whole lot better again then the 80s and as you have quite clearly pointed out they were flush with numbers back then with a gradual decline ever since? so you feel by simply upping the GDP cap will solve the militaries woes? Possibly, if they gave the difference to the soldiers , sailors and airmen directly in there pay packets as I hardly think sailors are leaving in numbers because we only have 2 frigates vs 4, army are pulling pin because we have 75 LAV instead of 100 boxers and or air force are dropping like flies because we don't have a few F16s flying laps around Lake Taupo? Again you seem to be missing my point, we don't need more gear, we need more people, otherwise whats the gear for exactly? Storage?? You can keep comparing today to the 80s all you want when we arguably had more (well numbers at least...) but times have literally changed and funnily enough so have people with it, which is the main problem, not the lack of budget to fund new toys. The paralines have always been there, filling them and keeping them full is the real struggle, but yea, nothing an extra couple of P8s shouldnt sort out right?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Both P8 and P3 parked on the tarmac at OH, quite a sight seeing the new and the old, future and current rather. Another chapter in RNZAF history.
Photos @RegR Photos and video. :cool: Jealous much.

NewsHub are running a story about early retirement of the last of the Orions. It's a Reuters story so maybe a Lucy Craymar story. If it's right it's not good.

RegR

Photos @RegR Photos and video. :cool: Jealous much.

NewsHub are running a story about early retirement of the last of the Orions. It's a Reuters story so maybe a Lucy Craymar story. If it's right it's not good.

Yea I was actually gutted I didnt have my camera, just happened to be driving past and it was a bit later in the day but I knew there was a new kid in town. There is a guy on FB getting a few decent pics I have seen, he's on to it.

I seem to remember 5 Sqn only having 5 full crews so I guess with conversion, currencies and on going training it is going to be an ask to keep 2 types until fully transitioned as no doubt the maintainers would be in a same/similar position numbers wise as well. Ahh well baby steps for awhile until they get on top of the new kit but at least the ball is well and truly rolling at least.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yea I was actually gutted I didnt have my camera, just happened to be driving past and it was a bit later in the day but I knew there was a new kid in town. There is a guy on FB getting a few decent pics I have seen, he's on to it.

I seem to remember 5 Sqn only having 5 full crews so I guess with conversion, currencies and on going training it is going to be an ask to keep 2 types until fully transitioned as no doubt the maintainers would be in a same/similar position numbers wise as well. Ahh well baby steps for awhile until they get on top of the new kit but at least the ball is well and truly rolling at least.
Bugger, yep there are some images on faceache.

Lucy Craymer is on Twitter and it is her story. She appears to be still based in NZ but no longer working for Stuff.

kiwi in exile

Media Release: New Zealand Stratospheric Aircraft Design Unveiled

This is a Christchurch based company. Their press relaese sounds good and may be part of the solution for EMACs and another layer to enhancing our maritime domain awareness. at 40kg obviously limited in sensor/comms payload and the pressrelease doesn't give much away. But the website does mention maritime domain awareness. May be semi-affordable to buy/operate and would be great to support an NZ company, but I would still like to see some SeaGuarduans with Kiwis on the side

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Theyre not statistics,
What I was getting at was that your statement that "Australia can easily afford 2%, because the other 98% is still huge" Which is a statistic, What you seem to be trying to say is that 2% in Australia is smaller than 2% is in NZ. Proportionally they are exactly the same in terms of our GDP's. The remaining 98% is again proportionally the same in terms of our economy's.
The effect on either economy would in fact be similar, though probably slightly less on the Australian as the have a larger domestic defence industry.

Last edited:

Gibbo

This is a Christchurch based company. Their press relaese sounds good and may be part of the solution for EMACs and another layer to enhancing our maritime domain awareness. at 40kg obviously limited in sensor/comms payload and the pressrelease doesn't give much away. But the website does mention maritime domain awareness. May be semi-affordable to buy/operate and would be great to support an NZ company, but I would still like to see some SeaGuarduans with Kiwis on the side
Maybe... a lot of water to go under their bridge yet. Wonder what the 'aerial imagery equipment' could consist of... usefulness of optical will be limited by usual levels of cloud cover.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

A definite yes to the MQ-9B SeaGuardian.
Maybe... a lot of water to go under their bridge yet. Wonder what the 'aerial imagery equipment' could consist of... usefulness of optical will be limited by usual levels of cloud cover.
40kg isn't a lot - 40 lts of freshwater at sea level. However the prototype is just that. Undoubtedly they will have a plan for a larger variant capable of carrying heavier payloads. However, there are CubeSats which aren't large and have Earth Observation & Remote Sensing Capabilities. What their resolution is like I don't know. It may be feasible to use the remote sensing technology from them on this platform, but if the payload weight problem can be addressed, then there is still the matter of power generation and consumption. It's great when it's daylight, but what about darkness?

As far as sensors go, optical sensors that operate in the visible light wave lengths would have problems with cloud cover, however some IR sensors wouldn't necessarily so and that depends upon the wave length used. You have exactly the same problem with space based sensors and that problem has been solved by using different types of sensors in different wave bands. It depends upon how light a maritime surveillance radar can be made and its power consumption, along with the desired resolution.

We shall see but I think that this is a project that govt should get in behind and fully support.