Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal New Zealand Air Force

Discussion in 'Air Force & Aviation' started by Lucasnz, Jul 17, 2006.

Share This Page

1. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

Are the J’s we are buying going to be capable of being refuelled?

I agree the A330 MRTT would be a better bet than the KC-46, it’s newer more capable aircraft.

2. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

I posted a photo earlier in the thread of a C-130J with the markings etc., for boom AAR refueling and I would think that it would be cheaper to leave the capability in rather than have LM remove it from the aircraft. Since we most likely will be going through FMS we'd probably be acquiring stock standard C-130J-30s. Having said that with this current govt who knows; they aren't very professional at all. It's not their politics, it's their lack of organisational skills which have gone walkabout well beyond the black stump.

Rob c likes this.
  3. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

The MRTT is used by your neighbouring allies, it’s larger capacity and range is ideal for the vast Pacific region, and as it has already proven itself, it is a less risky option. Given Boeing’s troubles of late, the last point is significant.

4. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

5. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Yep, and it looks like our govt in its infiniite all knowing wisdom isn't going to buy AShM for the P-8s. I suspect two reasons: cost and they don't have a spine. Also it's interesting that the PRC Vice President is having a meeting in Samoa with the eight Pacific Island nations that recognise it. Apparently the meeting is about aid and fostering relationships. Also the PRC and the US will be front and centre at this weeks Pacific Island Leaders meeting, much to the annoyance of the Pacific Island leaders. PNG has asked the PRC for assistance in refinancing its AU$11.8 billion public debt and if the PRC does that is going to create a security and defence headache for both Australia and NZ. If the PRC also gain a defence foothold in Samoa or Tonga, then it's very close to home for us.

kiwipatriot69 likes this.