Royal New Zealand Air Force

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you looked at additional sub bases with small footprints for HADR/SAR. MPA (Coastal) ops. How would Invercargill and an upgraded KaItaia work considering their strategic positions.
Both local Mayors would be keen. Those up North would be a bit upset if ISR assets were based nearby with respect to their more clandestine horticultural interests.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Work appears to have started on the P8 (5SQN) facilities at Ohakea as the farmland (ex leased by farmer I think) to the east of 3 SQN facilities is being cleared.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Both local Mayors would be keen. Those up North would be a bit upset if ISR assets were based nearby with respect to their more clandestine horticultural interests.
Some of my southern extended family mightn't be to keen on ISR assets being based in Invercargill either, if booze gets taxed to much more. They may go back to the old family tradition of brewing the hooch in the Hokonuis. Good stuff it was too. Very nice if I say so myself.

At lakes

Some of my southern extended family mightn't be to keen on ISR assets being based in Invercargill either, if booze gets taxed to much more. They may go back to the old family tradition of brewing the hooch in the Hokonuis. Good stuff it was too. Very nice if I say so myself.
you could make a side line on that stuff selling it as fuel for the P8

Xthenaki

Nothing wrong with the Kaimoana and Titi.(Im already salivating) The southern hospitality is tops. Love a whisky but never had a shot of "hoki"

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern stuck in Australia after plane breaks down

Interesting article appearing in the Sydney Age RNZAF B757 Broken down strands NZPM
listed as a fault with the flight management system.
She is flying back commercial tonight
maybe it will hasten its replacement.
Even new aircraft have problems from time to time and without knowing what the problem was it is impossible to know whether it was age related (very unlikely)or just a problem that could happen to any aircraft. The RNZAF's problem is that it simply does not have enough aircraft to provide a replacement or back up when things go wrong. The vast majority of problems aircraft have are not significant in respect to safety and will not stop a flight once it is airborne but to be on the safe side the aircraft remains on the ground until it is fixed and in the case when being used as a VIP aircraft there is a little more caution displayed.
PS. The Manawatu Standard reported that the fault was a flight management computer fault and that the part was on its way to Australia.

Last edited:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Also reported in the same paper was how the video of the moon landing got to NZ. the basic story was that as NZ did not yet have a satellite link and Australia did so a RNZAF Canberra was sent to Sydney prior to the landing and as soon as the video was available, it was delivered to the Canberra which immediately took off for Wellington, taking 2 hours 25 min to get there, it was then taken to the tv studio's in time for the evening news. The article stated that this was still the fastest time from Sydney to Wellington. Loved the Canberra and was sorry to see them go when the Hawks arrived.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Also reported in the same paper was how the video of the moon landing got to NZ. the basic story was that as NZ did not yet have a satellite link and Australia did so a RNZAF Canberra was sent to Sydney prior to the landing and as soon as the video was available, it was delivered to the Canberra which immediately took off for Wellington, taking 2 hours 25 min to get there, it was then taken to the tv studio's in time for the evening news. The article stated that this was still the fastest time from Sydney to Wellington. Loved the Canberra and was sorry to see them go when the Hawks arrived.
Odd. The video of the moon landing got to Australia directly from the moon. Whether it went back and forth to the US before being seen on Australian TV is probable, but I couldn't tell from in front of the box. Your comments though has made it clear why my wife couldn't remember anything about it...she was in Auckland in the relative comms stone age with no live transmission to marvel over.

oldsig

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Odd. The video of the moon landing got to Australia directly from the moon. Whether it went back and forth to the US before being seen on Australian TV is probable, but I couldn't tell from in front of the box. Your comments though has made it clear why my wife couldn't remember anything about it...she was in Auckland in the relative comms stone age with no live transmission to marvel over.

oldsig
They did not complete the Warkworth project until 1971 after starting it in 1969 which was delayed and should have started in 67. New Zealand was run by 65 year old Presbyterian dairy farmers during the 1950's and 60's.

Great to see you guys celebrating the role of Parkes getting the live feed to the world. The Dish was a brilliant movie. Loved the cricket scene on the dish.

Redlands18

They did not complete the Warkworth project until 1971 after starting it in 1969 which was delayed and should have started in 67. New Zealand was run by 65 year old Presbyterian dairy farmers during the 1950's and 60's.

Great to see you guys celebrating the role of Parkes getting the live feed to the world. The Dish was a brilliant movie. Loved the cricket scene on the dish.
The Australian Broadcast actually stood for many years as the longest continuous live Broadcast of an event anywhere in the world, according to the Guinness world records.

At lakes

Comment on the ABC News Channel this morning said something along the lines of the crew of the Eagle did not take the planned rest break once they landed and they American receivers could not see the transmission at the time and Parkes could. So everyone decided to stay with the Australian transmission.

Not only is this comment off tropic for the RNZAF I also put it on the wrong forum. Sorry side effects of something called Cab Merlot and not paying attention. Please ignore

Last edited:

kiwipatriot69

The KC-390 has had a testing programme on unprepared field capability and the C-2 has had a testing programme on ice surface capability.

The thing about the C-2 was that there are questions relating to the undercarriage setup with respect to rough field because when the project was conceived 20 years ago it was to meet Japanese requirements at the time, which were based around the nations pure self defence posture. The notion of having an expeditionary air mobility capability that would fly to unprepared airstrips in the south pacific was well off the radar. Thus the C-2's under-carriage set up was design to meet the need of Japanese engineered permanent runways.

All offshore Japanese islands both large and small dotted around the archipelago had prepared permanent runways, the shortest was 900m so STOL was a requirement and Hokkaido through the winter frequently has iced runway conditions, thus the ice requirement.

However right throughout the nation there are very few unprepared airstrips like grass, dirt, packed coral or cinder rough runways. Frankly such things are not very Japanese. The very few grass runways that exist are for private light general aviation. This is a land with a love of concrete (Concrete production in Japan totalled 91 million tons in 1994 compared with 78 million tons in the United States) and if there is a need for a runway somewhere they do it properly, with mega tonnes of the hard grey stuff, not some half-arsed 3rd world strip of gravel. :)
Would C2 still be under consideration for a strategic replacement for our aging 757 given recent issues with them that might speed such an aquisition along?What of our current 757 ability, can they land on unprepared runways? Have we encountered A HADR deployment to the pacific were we couldn't use a paved runway? A few more years before we make that decision by which time C2 will be years in service, and maybe A400 M has its issues sorted too?