Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

contedicavour

Aussie Digger said:
I agree, though it will be interesting to see what some of the Malaysians who visit this site say about him, if anything. Hopefully he's not representative of most of his Country...
Wasn't he also in charge when the locally built MEKO project was set up ? His most enduring legacy will remain building everything locally (from Proton cars to semiconductors) whatever the cost ;)
I don't have anything against mild nationalism or a moderate level of import substitution, but by the mid-90s there was no "mild" or "moderate" in his policies anymore !

cheers

scraw

Aussie Digger said:
I agree, though it will be interesting to see what some of the Malaysians who visit this site say about him, if anything. Hopefully he's not representative of most of his Country...
Considering a couple of weeks ago his own party refused to make him an official delegate to their summit I think it would be safe to assume he's on the outer these days.

caksz

what the hell... the thread being hijacked, the man is officially retired , he is already out of the way. :confused:

mmmbop

I think a lot of malaysians admired him for what he have done in integrating and thrusting a well industrialized Malaysia.but you can't have supporters without haters for his outspoken and sarcastic remarks has been his trademark all along.his opinions on OZ and particularly US surely based on their foreign policies and specifically to OZ on how they treat their neighbours.sometimes we not disagree some of their actions,feeling that OZ has really taken that deputy sheriff post.that's all.but in case of emergency i don't think he's that cold-hearted to leave his countrymen died in vain.we had problems with singapore as well but nothing serious happened on their relationship.

arkhan

Aussie Digger said:
Yep that's him, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and the one who spoke openly of his hatred for Australia and United States WHEN he was PM...
i'm not sure the exact date he announced his hatred for australia but i remember well it is after mr. howard announced australia rights to use first strike/preemptive strike policy in the region.
after that malaysia announced they will buy su 30 from russia. :rolleyes:

A

Aussie Digger

arkhan said:
i'm not sure the exact date he announced his hatred for australia but i remember well it is after mr. howard announced australia rights to use first strike/preemptive strike policy in the region.
after that malaysia announced they will buy su 30 from russia. :rolleyes:
And yet at a military to military level Australia and Malaysia (as well as Singapore) get along like a "house on fire". There is a large scale FPDA exercise on right now with RAAF, F-111, F/A-18, AP-3C and B-707 operating out of Butterworth and RAN frigates and patrol boats operating out of Changi...

Subangite

Aussie Digger said:
And yet at a military to military level Australia and Malaysia (as well as Singapore) get along like a "house on fire". There is a large scale FPDA exercise on right now with RAAF, F-111, F/A-18, AP-3C and B-707 operating out of Butterworth and RAN frigates and patrol boats operating out of Changi...
Makes sense doesn't it? The military ties outliving the vulgarities of different politicians, leaders and their administrations, transcending politics. I think at the military to military level between Malaysia and Australia really reflects the long term relationship irrespective of whoever is elected in both countries. It historically has been a positive relationship. The Aussies having provided assitance during the Malayan "Emergency" and "Confrontasi" period.

arkhan

that was a political talk digger. every politician need their boogeyman. bush have his osama and al qaeda, ahmanidejad have his bush and during that times howard was mahathir's boogeyman.
dont worry about mahathir now, our new prime minister style is lot more different than mahathir.

Subangite

weasel1962 said:
Ha Ha. Mahathir has had a dig at practically everybody. The easier question to answer is who hasn't Mahathir had a dig at. In any case, Badawi is far more coolheaded and pragmatic.

Mahathir may now regret his choice but his choice was a good one no doubt.
Really, a good choice? Malaysians on the blogosphere seem not too sure. Badawi might be coolheaded but he certainly isn't squeeky clean, his government is still far from transparent, many of his election promises of police reforms and so forth have come to nothing, just talk. He definately is more media sensitive than Mahathir ever was.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Malaysia aim for a force of 10 advance FFG. maybe they'll upgrade some of those Mekos to carry a role of the mini FFG.

Ramjetmissile

In my opinion, the construction of RMN Meko OPV project seems to be progressing @ a snail paces.i m quite skeptical that RMN will be able to upgrade some of those Mekos to carry a role of the mini FFG as mention by fellow forumer.

beside the recent defence procurements has severely drained the country's defence budget. its quite unlikely we will see major acquisition from the malaysian's military procurement dept soon!

kaybee

Ramjetmissile said:
... beside the recent defence procurements has severely drained the country's defence budget. its quite unlikely we will see major acquisition from the malaysian's military procurement dept soon!
Recent events indicate otherwise. News on planned purchase of LPD/LSD is out and this was announce by MAF Chief himself. Two more frigates are currently under intense negotiation and expect to have the contract sign by next year. Looks like the Navy benefits a lot by having an Admiral at the MAF helm.