Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

dreamwarrior73

from the discussions that I had with the naval arhitect involved, the top speed attainable by the PV is actually more than 22 knots even though the published top speed is 22 knots.

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes the meko is the NGPV project. made in Germany, assembled in Malaysia for the first 6 (batch 1). It was specified as an OPV, hence the diesel engines and the armament. Can it be compared to the USCG Cutters? If so than it's more suitable for the MMEA, since the RMN should concentrate more on combat capable vessel, no?

contedicavour

dreamwarrior73 said:
from the discussions that I had with the naval arhitect involved, the top speed attainable by the PV is actually more than 22 knots even though the published top speed is 22 knots.
Indeed, more powerful diesels or CODAG would allow for 32kn on the Meko100 design. However it would have cost significantly more.

cheers

mmmbop

It's called PV with published speed of mere 22knots.and the original plan called for 27 Patrol Vessels..I think neighbouring countries will feel a little bit laidback with that.though they actually know with FFNBW it will transform all (God if only that happen) into serious threat to their own.so it's really get down to diplomacy really.it's the same kind of thing with our FS1500 Kasturi and Lekir that designated as corvette while some country called theirs as frigate

mmmbop

qwerty223 said:
Learned much, thanks!

Are you guys sure that it is a part of NGPV? What I read was totaly oppose which said that due to purchase of MEKO, NCPV was furthur delay :confused:
Then you should read very carefully again.because MEKO100=NGPV.

contedicavour

mmmbop said:
It's called PV with published speed of mere 22knots.and the original plan called for 27 Patrol Vessels..I think neighbouring countries will feel a little bit laidback with that.though they actually know with FFNBW it will transform all (God if only that happen) into serious threat to their own.so it's really get down to diplomacy really.it's the same kind of thing with our FS1500 Kasturi and Lekir that designated as corvette while some country called theirs as frigate
I see what you mean. It is however pretty amazing to see that governments still decide what and when to acquire based mostly on what the neighbor has just bought, instead of basing the decision on what the country needs...
Btw, the Kasturis and Lekiu have SSMs, SAMs, some ASW, and a helo... so for me they are frigates, eventually light frigates, but still FFGs.
They sure are more capable than the Thai Janghiu FFGs (which lack SAMs) or the Indonesian Leanders (ex Dutch).

cheers

Transient

"Melaka Straits is in fact the safest in the world."

Tan Sri Ilyas Din is smoking some pretty strong stuff. They might want to get his urine checked.

contedicavour

Transient said:
"Melaka Straits is in fact the safest in the world."

Tan Sri Ilyas Din is smoking some pretty strong stuff. They might want to get his urine checked.
The funny part is the one saying that ship captains don't know their geography :rolleyes: and that pirates operate elsewhere... let me see... on a Japan/Korea path to the Middle East & Suez, the path is north of Borneo (Malaysian territory...), through Singapore (I doubt pirates operate there ;) ) and then up the Malacca straits into the Indian Ocean. I doubt pirates operate ocean-going ships in the middle of the Indian Ocean... so the dangerous zone is clearly the Malacca straits.
May be the danger comes more from the Indonesian side, still...

cheers

A

Aussie Digger

weasel1962 said:

KLANG, Sept 19 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's upcoming submarine force will be relying on the navies of countries like the US and Australia to assist in deep sea rescue operations, should the unthinkable happens.

Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) First Admiral Amzah Sulaiman said the US and Australian navies had established submarine forces, thus having the experience and resources to assist the nation's submarine force, which was still in its infancy.

"We'll be relying on allies for rescue and salvage operations and the nearest one I can think of is the Royal Australian Navy, as we have long-standing experience with them in rescue work," he told reporters on the deck of the USS Frank Cable which was docked at Westport here, Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Royal Australian Navy submarine group commander Commodore Richard Shalders said high-end rescue systems were expensive and there was no necessity to purchase them.

"You can just set up a rescue platform and other people's system can be used to help you," he said.

He said Malaysia could benefit from the Pacific Reach Exercise to be held in November 2007, where some 12 nations would send their submarines and rescue ships to test the waters off Western Australia.

"It's a very open community where you have free access to other countries' abilities and capabilities, and all information are shared so that we can assist your submarines or anyone else's in case of an accident," he added.
I wonder what Dr MAHATIR thinks of this proposal? I reckon he'd probably prefer to see the Sub on the bottom of the Ocean than accept any help from us...

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Aussie Digger said:
I wonder what Dr MAHATIR thinks of this proposal? I reckon he'd probably prefer to see the Sub on the bottom of the Ocean than accept any help from us...
That would be the happy fellah advocating proliferation of nukes ?

A

Aussie Digger

Grand Danois said:
That would be the happy fellah advocating proliferation of nukes ?
Yep that's him, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and the one who spoke openly of his hatred for Australia and United States WHEN he was PM...

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Aussie Digger said:
Yep that's him, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and the one who spoke openly of his hatred for Australia and United States WHEN he was PM...
Then

1. good he isn't PM anymore.

2. he is really not that happy a fellah, but instead a pretty frustrated fellah.

A

Aussie Digger

Grand Danois said:
Then
  1. good he isn't PM anymore.
  2. he is really not that happy a fellah, but instead a pretty frustrated fellah.
I agree, though it will be interesting to see what some of the Malaysians who visit this site say about him, if anything. Hopefully he's not representative of most of his Country...