Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

Calculus

I tried to upload a video that mentioned the radar on the CSC but it won't upload it's sna 2019 day 3 CSC starts at the 3 min mark if anyone wants to see it
Awesome catch Long range. Video can be seen here: Video: Day 3 at SNA 2019 - Naval News (starts at the 3:00 minute mark)

According to the video, the radar is "SPY" something, and it also sounds like Aegis is in the mix. So, CMS330, Aegis, and some version of SPY (hopefully SPY 6, but more likely SPY 1D)

At 7:02, the Raytheon rep gives some information on SPY 6 and EASR, also interesting.

Last edited:

Black Jack Shellac

Awesome catch Long range. Video can be seen here: Video: Day 3 at SNA 2019 - Naval News (starts at the 3:00 minute mark)

According to the video, the radar is "SPY" something, and it also sounds like Aegis is in the mix. So, CMS330, Aegis, and some version of SPY (hopefully SPY 6, but more likely SPY 1D)

At 7:02, the Raytheon rep gives some information on SPY 6 and EASR, also interesting.
I think all he says is Solid State Spy radar. Could he mean this. Solid State Spy Radar

I think the LRDR is based on the same technology

Last edited:

Calculus

I think all he says is Solid State Spy radar. Could he mean this. Solid State Spy Radar

I think the LRDR is based on the same technology
Hi Black Jack, I don't think the LRDR is a ship-based system, and I believe the SPY you reference above was a developmental system only, and has been superseded by AMDR (SPY-6). However, the radar on CSC has always been a bit of a mystery, so who knows. Hopefully now that the design contract is signed this information will start to come out.

Black Jack Shellac

Hi Black Jack, I don't think the LRDR is a ship-based system, and I believe the SPY you reference above was a developmental system only, and has been superseded by AMDR (SPY-6). However, the radar on CSC has always been a bit of a mystery, so who knows. Hopefully now that the design contract is signed this information will start to come out.
Yes, it is not the LRDR, but I think Lockheed is proposing a smaller ship based system based on the same technology. The Solid State Radar is a scalable system, similar to the AMDR that Raytheon makes.

I thought the SSR might be the SPY-6, but it appears to be Lockheed's competing system, and was not chosen by the US navy (Raytheon getting the nod).

I am guessing that the salesman in the video was using the older term that was used during the development.

Agree that it is still a mystery, just trying to solve it! More google-fu needed.

FOAC

Janes reporting it's a Lockheed S band AESA. Lockheed developing similar radar with the Spanish for their new F110 frigates. Could be the same or similar .Either way, all indications are that RACN is signing up for an unproven system that is still in development . .

Yes, it is not the LRDR, but I think Lockheed is proposing a smaller ship based system based on the same technology. The Solid State Radar is a scalable system, similar to the AMDR that Raytheon makes.

I thought the SSR might be the SPY-6, but it appears to be Lockheed's competing system, and was not chosen by the US navy (Raytheon getting the nod).

I am guessing that the salesman in the video was using the older term that was used during the development.

Agree that it is still a mystery, just trying to solve it! More google-fu needed.

Calculus

My google-fu efforts have failed to find anything on this radar, and the LM site does not seem to make mention of it either. I can't find any reference to a LM naval radar, other than their failed AMDR effort., which I think they re-purposed into LRDR.

I had heard a few months ago that the radar the RCN had in mind was EASR (Raytheon: Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar), which would kind of make sense, but all my searches have shown this is either a single rotating or a three-face design, and the model of the CSC clearly shows a four-sided superstructure.The CSC model also does not have any targeting radars, so that would seem to rule out SPY-1 or SPY-6.

It's a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:

Calculus

Janes reporting it's a Lockheed S band AESA. Lockheed developing similar radar with the Spanish for their new F110 frigates. Could be the same or similar .Either way, all indications are that RACN is signing up for an unproven system that is still in development . .
Can you provide a link? I couldn't find that anywhere in relation to the CSC. I'm assuming you are referring to this: Lockheed and Indra to develop S-band AESA radar for Spanish Navy

Even if true, this would be contrary to the "non-developmental radar" that was reputedly part of the RFP. However, perhaps as long as it is non-developmental by the time the first ship is commissioned, which looks to be around 2025, that would qualify.

FOAC

Hope this has worked! From a battered copy of Nov 2018 Janes Navy International (secret stash under the bed!)

Can you provide a link? I couldn't find that anywhere in relation to the CSC. I'm assuming you are referring to this: Lockheed and Indra to develop S-band AESA radar for Spanish Navy

Even if true, this would be contrary to the "non-developmental radar" that was reputedly part of the RFP. However, perhaps as long as it is non-developmental by the time the first ship is commissioned, which looks to be around 2025, that would qualify.
15496577532933315020318851751989.jpg

FOAC

Must says seems a little surprising when both the incumbent radar suppliers Thales and SAAB have an equivalent product just entering the market now. And both companies have good reputations for delivering on promises

Black Jack Shellac

My google-fu efforts have failed to find anything on this radar, and the LM site does not seem to make mention of it either. I can't find any reference to a LM naval radar, other than their failed AMDR effort., which I think they re-purposed into LRDR.

I had heard a few months ago that the radar the RCN had in mind was EASR (Raytheon: Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar), which would kind of make sense, but all my searches have shown this is either a single rotating or a three-face design, and the model of the CSC clearly shows a four-sided superstructure.The CSC model also does not have any targeting radars, so that would seem to rule out SPY-1 or SPY-6.

It's a bit of a mystery.
Agree, I can't find anything either. But I did find some tidbits on the SSR. Aegis Ashore .

From the article:

"LRDR, will use thousands of Lockheed Martin SSR building blocks"

So I was thinking that they proposed to build a smaller version for the RCN, similar to the Raytheon's SPY-6 Radar

However, google-fu has failed me and I cannot find any firm reference. I did spot one article mentioning that the Lockheed version was more advanced than Raytheon's and would be available sooner Japan Selects Lockheed . But again, this is for LRDR not SSR or a ship based system.

I suppose I should get back to my real job now, I will do some more searching later.

Calculus

Hope this has worked! From a battered copy of Nov 2018 Janes Navy International (secret stash under the bed!)

View attachment 46452
Thanks FOAC. That is quite interesting. The infographic I included earlier in post 1316 has been updated, and the radar section now clearly confirms separate search and targeting radars, with the latter being a "solid-state illuminator..." (presumably X-band). So, anyone want to speculate on which system this could be? Could it be CEAMOUNT? Assuming the rendering is accurate, the smaller panel looks to be about the right size. Neither panel looks like a Thales product, or a SAAB product. I still think the search radar is American, but no clue about the illuminator. Does anyone know if CEAMOUNT has been integrated with an American radar in a CMS?

Last edited:

Calculus

Video says at 3:31 solid state SPY AEGIS fire control radar onboard
Right. Interesting the mention of Aegis. I think it is a given that the CMS will be CMS330, so how Aegis fits in will be interesting to find out. Presumably something similar to what Australia is doing with the Hunters, with Aegis integrated into 9LV (if I understand that correctly). Given LM's involvement with both Aegis CMS and CMS330, this should not pose any particular difficulties.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Video says at 3:31 solid state SPY AEGIS fire control radar onboard
Yeah, but that honestly was just a bit of word-salad. SPY is a type of radar, while Aegis is a combat management system. Yes, they are usually paired together though IIRC the RAN is planning on using the Aegis CMS with CEAFAR radar aboard the Hunter-class FFG's. Another item of interest is that apparently the speaker was/is a rep for LockMart Canada, which produces the 330 CMS, which is another shipboard combat management system, which at least some CSC offers have. Me being me, I have my doubts that LockMart would have different products competing with each other for the CSC.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Right. Interesting the mention of Aegis. I think it is a given that the CMS will be CMS330, so how Aegis fits in will be interesting to find out. Presumably something similar to what Australia is doing with the Hunters, with Aegis integrated into 9LV (if I understand that correctly). Given LM's involvement with both Aegis CMS and CMS330, this should not pose any particular difficulties.
As I understand it, the Hunter-class FFG's for the RAN will utilize the Aegis CMS, with an Australian-developed interface sourced from Saab Australia to enable communications between some elements of the fitted kit and the Aegis CMS. The Saab 9LV CMS in service aboard the ANZAC-class FFH's, Canberra-class LHD's, and to be fitted aboard the Arafura-class OPV's will not also be included with the new frigate design. People seem to confuse using a Saab Australia interface with using a Saab CMS.

Black Jack Shellac

After much consideration, and much googling, I think it is SPY-6. He states "...that's why we fit the solid state spy aegis fire control radar...". To me, he does not say LM radar. And the only solid state spy radar that can be controlled by Aegis, is SPY-6 (that I can find), which is Raytheon's ADMR, likely the EASR radar.

So I think you are correct Calculus, SPY-6 EASR.

Calculus

As I understand it, the Hunter-class FFG's for the RAN will utilize the Aegis CMS, with an Australian-developed interface sourced from Saab Australia to enable communications between some elements of the fitted kit and the Aegis CMS. The Saab 9LV CMS in service aboard the ANZAC-class FFH's, Canberra-class LHD's, and to be fitted aboard the Arafura-class OPV's will not also be included with the new frigate design. People seem to confuse using a Saab Australia interface with using a Saab CMS.
This is a good description: The heart of the matter—choosing a combat management system for the future frigates | The Strategist