Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The Canadian government once again makes a contract award for political points. The RCN now must now have the Halifax class frigates maintained by three shipyards. Heading back to the past where three yards all starve to death due to insufficient business. One west coast and one east coast yard made sense but Quebec whining will see all yards eventually getting 1/3, they just don’t learn.

Canada splits $7b of frigate upkeep work between three shipyards

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@John Fedup Are you having vision problems at the moment old boy? Just wondering because it's twice in a row that you've double posted. Either that or you've got the DT's (delirium tremems) from the uisce beatha which any good Irishman and Scotsman is partial to. :D I've deleted them for you

NM.

t68

@John Fedup Are you having vision problems at the moment old boy? Just wondering because it's twice in a row that you've double posted. Either that or you've got the DT's (delirium tremems) from the uisce beatha which any good Irishman and Scotsman is partial to. :D I've deleted them for you

NM.
Must be CRAFT, I know I’ve got it.

Can’t
Remember
A
Fu#king
Thing

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

NM.
I have noticed on a couple of occasions that posts time out after hitting the post reply key when using my iPhone. I then retry and the post later appears. Not sure why, the phone or my WiFi.

Novascotiaboy

John if you liked CRAFT you may appreciate the opportunity to tell a difficult person to FOCUS.

F%$&
Off
Cuz
Ur
Stupid

Very helpful to relieve my stress when dealing with people. I just ask them to focus.

And after that I use DILLIGAF

Do
I
Look
I
Give
A
F$&@

But I digress.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was just the trade tribunal. I think (but not sure) the complaint to the court is still ongoing, so not completely out of the woods yet.
ORDER

The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has determined that Alion Science and Technology Canada Corporation and Alion Science and Technology Corporation do not have standing to file a complaint before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal. Pursuant to paragraph 10(a) of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Procurement Inquiry Regulations, the Canadian International Trade Tribunal hereby dismisses the complaint, ceases its inquiry and terminates all proceedings related thereto.

Jean Bédard
Jean Bédard, Q.C.
Presiding Member

There is a separate filing for a judicial review of the long-awaited decision with the Federal Court. That case is still pending. Only on a point of law if they lose their FC case they could appeal it through the Appeal Court and again on to the Supreme Court of Canada.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Interesting how this report glances over Australia’s two LHDs and three AWD that have been delivered since their ANZAC program. Contrast that with one AOPS and a few CG and Fisheries vessels since the Halifax build. I’d say there is more light at the end of Australia’s naval tunnel than Canada’s. Difficult to access the political differences between the two countries wrt to regionalism but it seems hard to believe this issue would be worse in Australia.

Despite the difficulties with the Collins program, Australia at least has some local expertise in place to help develop its future sub program, something Canada needs to start developing should we decide to build subs locally. I doubt this will happen and even a replacement for the Victoria class is in doubt despite the need.

Last edited:

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
In my view, a once over lightly; and it may be the intent of course that it act as a general overview. While well annotated, the report relies heavily on secondary sources, not all of which (at least in the Australian situation) would necessarily be considered objective. Some of the interpretations are also interesting. As an example of the former, statements about cost of the Seasprite program do not use constant year dollars and of the latter, the GAO report was written almost immediately after the release of the NSP - so of course some aspects are going to be high risk at that point in a multi decade activity.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting comparison between Australian and Canadian shipbuilding strategies: Overcoming ‘Boom and Bust’? Analyzing National Shipbuilding Plans in Canada and Australia
Interesting article and worth posting, but I am not sure I agree with everything and the direction. I can see this is written for Canadians, but I feel compelled to give some Australian input, although I am sure my views aren't universal.

Subs aren't late. The deal isn't late either. Really we should have had a proper competition back in 2010 or earlier. That isn't local industry fault, or anything to do with the current select/deal process. It was always going to take significant time to work out a deal for 12 of the largest and most powerful conventional subs in the world, and wrangle a technology, build and price across France, Australia, US and the UK, on a conventional version of a sub who nuclear version isn't even in the water yet. It isn't a off the plan, kit shed we are building.

Australia local cost increases are mostly due to stop start construction between projects, the UK has had the same issue and as does Canada. Having to rebuild an entire industry every cycle because government can't or won't commit to sustainable cycles is again, a political problem. If the US decided to build all 12 carriers at 12 different shipyards at once and then not order any more for the next 50 years, they too would have an unsustainable ship building industry.

j.collins said:
" Australia will have to grapple with an Indo-Pacific region proliferating with relatively cheaper but lethal anti-ship missiles. In this context, money spent on surface combatants may be perhaps better spent on other capabilities."
Hold on. Those proliferations are mostly in the same Pacific waters as Canada. In fact, Canada is in fact more exposed and has no buffer states nearby between it and those proliferating anti-ship missiles. It is a pet annoyance of mine that Australia is somehow in an extremely risky and exposed situation, while Canada is apart and has nothing to do with what is happening in the Pacific. Australia isn't intercepting hostile aircraft in its own airspace.

j.collins said:
Canada, sitting securely atop the North American continent, enjoys a near-certain American security guarantee and rarely sees defence issues arise as a major domestic policy challenge. This can help account for Ottawa’s laggard-like approach to both military funding and equipment replacement. In contrast, Australia is an island nation dependent on maritime trade and located in a more insecure part of the world, where a naval build-up among competing regional powers is a fact of life…
Really? The competing regional powers are China and the US, hardly alone in our region. The currently hottest tensions are China/Japan/Koreas, which is closer to Canada than it is Australia. While Australia is an "island nation" we are continental in size, disruption to maritime trade to Australia would require a WW2/global war type event. Australia isn't worried about the Naval build up between Tonga and Fiji.

As I recall, for example, Canada did participate in InterFET. So how does that fit into Canadian logic?

I would think with the recent presidential decrees about withdrawing nuclear umbrellas, disbanding NATO and the US's internal priorities, economically being overtaken and fighting on multiple fronts, broken trade, tariff war with the US/Canada those unshakable guarantees are looking a bit hollow. As Canada isn't interested in independent or even action without the US (say with other NATO partners) how they intend to implement any independent policy? This seems to be a very limiting view and a real mis-understanding of the Australia-US alliance.

j.collins said:
Neither country has a historical parallel for such an undertaking and notably, the NSP has singled out Canada as a country for Australia to learn lessons from.
Sort of. Not singled, one of many.
http://www.defence.gov.au/NavalShipBuilding/Plan/Docs/NavalShipbuildingPlan.pdf

NSP said:
6.16Depending on the forthcoming selections for the offshore patrol vessels, Australia may develop deeper naval shipbuilding cooperation with Germany or the Netherlands. Canada and Australia also share many similar attributes and both have defence forces of similar size. There are likely to be expanded opportunities to exchange information and lessons learned in the area of naval shipbuilding.
Canada is basically used as a tale of woe. 6.8, 6.9 talks about learning with France and defence to defence links, workforce planning, developing tech. 6.10, 6.11 talks about learning from the US and further developing with them. 6.12 talks about Spain. 6.13 talks about NZ. 6.14 talks about UK. 6.15 talks about Italy. Compare the language used in those other sections about workforces, sustainable building, fleet design and contrast that with what Australia intends to learn from Canada. The NSS is a very interesting case study, but not for success.

I am also amazed that the view regarding Collins class was based on Australia's experience of the Oberon class, and completely forgets Canada operated the same Oberons.

j.collins said:
Despite being the younger of the two countries’ shipbuilding strategies, the NSP has already encountered problems and criticisms, key of which was a 2018 report by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO… The report characterized the NSP as an “extreme risk”.
Sure the NSP is heavily reviewed. However, it again implies the NSS is superior despite it being older. It also goes on to critise the sustainment of the program.

j.collins said:
In Australia, the Navantia yard in Spain was hired in 2016 to build two supply ships rather than risk building them at home.
Conveniently not referenced. We didn't build the AOR because they were too risky to build locally, we don't have a operating yard free, setup to build ships of that size.

j.collins said:
nor is it clear that domestic industry will have access to the design information required for upgrading the combat and sensor systems, thereby repeating the problems of the Collins class.
That is BS. The surface ships will all use a combination the 9lv and or Aegis. As such we can integrate every single weapon and sensor we want in the console we need. Good luck Canada integrating CEC and/or SM-3, Hawklink without Aegis. I see it as a risk on the Canadian surface build they they are just plodding along with their existing setup. The subs will use the combat system from the American subs, but integrated with US/UK/French/Australian systems and sensors. That is not an issue and is not the problem with the Collins class. The US combat system is what fixed the Collins class system issues.

Also the delays in the AWD weren't just industry fault, the politicians deliberately slowed the program and increased cost deliberately. Which is why generally the AWD doesn't come under heavy criticism regarding delivery, and cost.

j.collins said:
Others have pointed out that Australia’s domestic steel industry lacks the capacity to produce the 1,800 tonnes of steel needed for each submarine, further contributing to cost escalation
BS.
The riddle of steel | The Strategist
ASPI said:
But even if it isn’t a lot of money, maybe it’s a lot of Australia’s steel production? Australia ranks only 23rd in global steel production, but that’s still 5.3 million tonnes in 2018, ranging from around 390,000 to 490,000 tonnes per month. So 2,000 tonnes is only around one-seventh of the Australian steel industry’s daily production.
Again the claims regarding regionalism regarding Williamstown are pretty flakey. It effectively shut down in 2015, 2 years before the NSP. Before the LHD you have to go back to 2006 to find the last Australian navy ship work.

I am also critical of the implication that the NSP should build more Austal aluminium ships instead of surface combatants or Subs. While Australia has costed and planed 9 surface combatants, we already have 3 DDGs, and 8 frigate upgrades. 6 subs. 2 lhd 1 lsd. 2 AOR (near JSS). An icebreaker. Then outside of navy, we have the Land400 and army upgrades, and the F-35 and F-18E/F, E7, P8's, c27 and other projects flying. While not ideal, it would seem to be way ahead of Canada which seems completely deadlocked into inaction.

Given the audience of this paper, Canadians, I doubt this paper will come under much criticism.

I also find it cute that the NSS and the NSP are still in their early stages. The NSS is what? 9 years old at this point and has delivered how many shipsTo many Australians the Canadian experience is one to learn to avoid. Its right up there with Indian procurement and build processes. Canadian communication comes across as smug and condescending. There seems to be little critical internal review, extremely limited external understanding.

It is not that we aren't able to take criticism, but it should be informed and accurate. There is plenty to have a go at. The sheer fucking around on the sub replacement for one, the fact that it took until 2017 to get a NSP, the cluster of the AWD project on multiple levels and the blame games. Yes, the interstate rivalry, the WA mafia. The succession of ministers. The not going with the 4th AWD, instead of the opv thing and shifting everything around.

But these are my views, as an armchair warmer.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting article and worth posting, but I am not sure I agree with everything and the direction. I can see this is written for Canadians
Thanks for the time and effort in dissecting the post, it saved me the effort in challenging some of the incorrect assumptions and you have done far more thoroughly than I have the patience to do.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually hit the 10,000 char limit, so I had to go back and cut several paragraphs to get it in. So that is the light version, with less bad language and less detail. I had to cut a whole section on Cockatoo island, closure of yards, the issues with the AWD build issues.

If anyone wants me to expand, clarify or provide more evidence what I am talking about I am happy to oblige.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting article and worth posting, but I am not sure I agree with everything and the direction. I can see this is written for Canadians, but I feel compelled to give some Australian input, although I am sure my views aren't universal.

But these are my views, as an armchair warmer.
This a Bravo Zulu for a thoughtful and well structured post. (BZ = well done)

upload_2019-2-4_21-25-56.png

This does not mean that I, or the Mod team, agree or disagree with the contents of the post.
A BZ is awarded to reward good quality posts and encourage good posting behaviour.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I actually hit the 10,000 char limit, so I had to go back and cut several paragraphs to get it in. So that is the light version, with less bad language and less detail. I had to cut a whole section on Cockatoo island, closure of yards, the issues with the AWD build issues.

If anyone wants me to expand, clarify or provide more evidence what I am talking about I am happy to oblige.
I think your previous post is a good accessment of the article. How these two programs progress with the currently planned vessels will be known within 10 years. Just as important will be goal of sustainable naval production 25-30 years from now. Given Australia’s political unity (at present) on defence procurement, I think Australia’s chances of reaching this goal are better. The fact Australia has a sub program is another positive, especially given the advances in AShM technology. Can’t predict the future but building 2 billion CDN dollar frigates is risky when they may face saturation missile attacks with advanced technology. Two to three hundred million dollars on missiles is a decent trade off against a 2 billion dollar ship. Whether the technology will be good enough and if any potential adversary could actually build the number of missiles necessary is debatable.

BTW, your point the article is basically for a Canadian audience and won’t see too much criticism is correct. The number of Canadians that will read it will be minimal.