Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some additional information about the CH-148’s software problem. Seems to be somewhat more serious than previously reported and a fix is not happening anytime soon. The Cyclone saga is a classic “fly before you buy”!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The USN is not in favour of future SH orders as they wouldn’t be viable throughout much of their service life. Hopefully Canadian pollies will take note of this….probably fantasy.

hauritz

Some additional information about the CH-148’s software problem. Seems to be somewhat more serious than previously reported and a fix is not happening anytime soon. The Cyclone saga is a classic “fly before you buy”!
Canada always seems to embark on the longest most convoluted selection process of just about any other nation, and yet still manages to stuff things up. Why any smallish military would decide to go it alone and choose an unproven, navalised version of the Sikorsky S-92 ahead of proven designs such as the Seahawk or Merlin helicopters is beyond me. They should have stuck with the original plan of buying the EH-101.
The USN is not in favour of future SH orders as they wouldn’t be viable throughout much of their service life. Hopefully Canadian pollies will take note of this….probably fantasy.

Same problem different aircraft. The original plan to buy the F-35 was the correct one. However I wouldn't be surprised if this program ended in a monumental stuff up.

With a decision due next year it is increasing obvious that the F-35 is the only clear choice. You just have to look at the sort of aircraft the Russians are likely to be fielding over the next 10 to 20 years to realise that.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Canada always seems to embark on the longest most convoluted selection process of just about any other nation, and yet still manages to stuff things up. Why any smallish military would decide to go it alone and choose an unproven, navalised version of the Sikorsky S-92 ahead of proven designs such as the Seahawk or Merlin helicopters is beyond me. They should have stuck with the original plan of buying the EH-101.

Same problem different aircraft. The original plan to buy the F-35 was the correct one. However I wouldn't be surprised if this program ended in a monumental stuff up.

With a decision due next year it is increasing obvious that the F-35 is the only clear choice. You just have to look at the sort of aircraft the Russians are likely to be fielding over the next 10 to 20 years to realise that.
WRT helicopters, the RCN/RCAF wanted a larger machine just like other navies so the Mulroney government had two choices at the time, the EH101 or the NH-90. The EH101 was the correct choice. Chrétien’s cancellation of this order and the resulting C-F got us us to where we are. This was pure politics not a procurement error.

An election later this year will likely return junior to majority so chances for a stuff up will increase. The only positive is Boeing really can’t offer any combination of price/performance that can beat LM plus there is still residual fallout over Boeing’s actions against the C-Series that resulted in the cancellation of the interim SH purchase. Neither the SH or Gripen make sense for a jet that needs to be in service for 35 plus years.

Last edited:

Black Jack Shellac

WRT helicopters, the RCN/RCAF wanted a larger machine just like other navies so the Mulroney government had two choices at the time, the EH101 or the NH-90. The EH101 was the correct choice. Chrétien’s cancellation of this order and the resulting C-F got us us to where we are. This was pure politics not a procurement error.

An election later this year will likely return junior to majority so chances for a stuff up will increase. The only positive is Boeing really can’t offer any combination of price/performance that can beat LM plus there is still residual fallout over Boeing’s actions against the C-Series that resulted in the cancellation of the interim SH purchase. Neither the SH or Gripen make sense for a jet that needs to be in service for 35 plus years.
My gut is that they will pick the Gripen, for the same reason they picked the S-92. Chretien had already rejected the EH-101 and didn't want the embarrassment of selecting it 15 years later. Trudeau has rejected the F-35, and Quebec would hate him if they select the super hornet (because of the C-series fiasco). The only face saving choice he has is the Gripen. My bet is he will interfere in the process to make this happen.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My gut is that they will pick the Gripen, for the same reason they picked the S-92. Chretien had already rejected the EH-101 and didn't want the embarrassment of selecting it 15 years later. Trudeau has rejected the F-35, and Quebec would hate him if they select the super hornet (because of the C-series fiasco). The only face saving choice he has is the Gripen. My bet is he will interfere in the process to make this happen.
Just so that I can understand the electoral dynamics here, Trudeau is from Quebec? If he goes with the SH he will be hated by his province, meaning that his future political life will be stuffed? Trudeau is also so egotistical that if the F-35 is showing to be the best acquisition, he will queer the pitch in order to ensure that it's not selected?

Black Jack Shellac

Just so that I can understand the electoral dynamics here, Trudeau is from Quebec? If he goes with the SH he will be hated by his province, meaning that his future political life will be stuffed? Trudeau is also so egotistical that if the F-35 is showing to be the best acquisition, he will queer the pitch in order to ensure that it's not selected?
Sort of. Trudeau is from Quebec, so that is a factor. But more important, to win a federal election in Canada, you pretty much have to win Quebec. They have 78 of 308 seats and because of the way the rest of Canada tends to vote, Quebec is often the king maker.

As far as throwing the game, yes I think he might - he has shown a tendency to do such acts in the past (SNC Lavalin, Admiral Norman) so I don't doubt he would do it again. He has also shown over and over again that appearances are much more important than substance to him. He would sleep better knowing that he screwed the RCAF over but saved personal embarrassment.

The wild card will be if someone in procurement outs him.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sort of. Trudeau is from Quebec, so that is a factor. But more important, to win a federal election in Canada, you pretty much have to win Quebec. They have 78 of 308 seats and because of the way the rest of Canada tends to vote, Quebec is often the king maker.

As far as throwing the game, yes I think he might - he has shown a tendency to do such acts in the past (SNC Lavalin, Admiral Norman) so I don't doubt he would do it again. He has also shown over and over again that appearances are much more important than substance to him. He would sleep better knowing that he screwed the RCAF over but saved personal embarrassment.

Thanks for that. A cheeky Kiwi comment. Maybe the solution to Canada's defence capability swing problems could be to give the Quebecois what they desire the most - complete independence ;) That way they could be like de Gaulle as much as they like and the rest of Canada goes on to being more sane :D

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

While nothing can be ruled when it comes to junior, the F-35 is the least risky politically. It has been selected by our allies and Canada has invested in the program. It’s price point and performance exceeds what Boeing can come up with. The Gripen might have a marginal price advantage but like the SH, it just isn’t a good long term solution for the RCAF. Also, any Bombardier involvement would enrage most of the rest of Canada and likely many in his cabinet. IMO the F-35 is junior’s only choice….but he’s a ?ucking moron so there is always the possibility of another reset. He would use COVID as the reason.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
What happens to newfoundland and labrador in a quebec independence scenario? And would albera stay?
After celebrating Québec’s exit, the usual economic rivalry could lead other provinces to reconsider confederation but not NL and the Maritime provinces. This is off topic for this thread.

Black Jack Shellac

While nothing can be ruled when it comes to junior, the F-35 is the least risky politically. It has been selected by our allies and Canada has invested in the program. It’s price point and performance exceeds what Boeing can come up with. The Gripen might have a marginal price advantage but like the SH, it just isn’t a good long term solution for the RCAF. Also, any Bombardier involvement would enrage most of the rest of Canada and likely many in his cabinet. IMO the F-35 is junior’s only choice….but he’s a ?ucking moron so there is always the possibility of another reset. He would use COVID as the reason.
I agree on the capital and capability side the F35 is likely the best option. But operating cost for the Grippen is supposed to be quite low in comparison. I have seen a few number thrown around the internet, but nothing I would rely on. That said, Trudeau may argue the operating cost as the excuse to go with the Gripen. Especially since he just spent 300 Billion on Covid relief (I know plenty of 16 year olds who enjoyed the 12K in CERB).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not just Newfoundland: consider New Brunswick & Nova Scotia.
Just one other point in this OT item, NB, PEI, and NS might have to merge as a single province (probably should the case now). NL might consider this also. Really comes down to economic survival chances.

Black Jack Shellac

Just one other point in this OT item, NB, PEI, and NS might have to merge as a single province (probably should the case now). NL might consider this also. Really comes down to economic survival chances.
Well, this is all completely off topic, but if Quebec decided to seperate, there is no reason that the Ottawa-Montreal corridor would not decide to split from Quebec. This would leave the Maritime provinces contiguous with the rest of Canada. Now please stop feeding my fantasy of Quebec leaving Canada, and let's get back on topic.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I don’t think putting 40% of our military strategic airlift capability (which can’t be easily replaced) at risk in order to perform evaluations from a functional airport makes sense. Why not use large commercial airliners? Must be lots of them available these days.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t think putting 40% of our military strategic airlift capability (which can’t be easily replaced) at risk in order to perform evaluations from a functional airport makes sense. Why not use large commercial airliners? Must be lots of them available these days.
Your mate Justin has an election coming. Nothing better than directing the RCAF to go save the day with a big gesture like this. All those lady voters will see him as a hero. ;)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Your mate Justin has an election coming. Nothing better than directing the RCAF to go save the day with a big gesture like this. All those lady voters will see him as a hero. ;)
Interesting to note now there seems to be some questioning as to why an election is needed only 2 years into his current mandate in the middle of a pandemic. Whether this will have consequences for junior, hard to say. Something that would have a negative consequence is the loss of life and a C-177 Globemaster in a Kabul evacuation, something that hopefully won’t happen.