Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

Vanquish

Agree, which makes one suspicious on the delay to evaluate their Arctic performance.
I'm curious why Canada chose the SkyGuardian variant over the SeaGuardian variant if the intent is to primarily operate them in a maritime environment.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I'm curious why Canada chose the SkyGuardian variant over the SeaGuardian variant if the intent is to primarily operate them in a maritime environment.

I am not familiar enough with the two systems to understand why one is more desirable than the other. A guess on my part is SkyGuardian has better capabilities for land surveillance. As our Arctic region consists of many islands, perhaps SkyGuardian was deemed more suitable.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

swerve

Super Moderator
You know what the murder rate is in Jamaica? Almost 10 times that of the USA, for example, or over 50 times the rate in Portugal. It's one of the worst in the world.

Delta204

Air force worried about keeping new maritime helicopters' weapons systems operational | CBC News

Interesting article on the RCAF Cyclone maritime helicopters; it's a cautionary tale and reminder on the pitfalls against ordering bespoke (or Canadianized) military systems. While politicians share all the blame for the early problems with the Sea King replacement; I blame DND for the Cyclone selection and their insistence on certain capabilities that were "unique" to RCAF needs (ability to float; rear ramp; payload requirements etc.). IMO, we would have been much better off going with Romeo's like most of our allies. Interesting that the govt. is also now engaging consultants (again) for this project; one of the defense experts at the end of the article is wondering if the govt. is considering a different platform.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Air force worried about keeping new maritime helicopters' weapons systems operational | CBC News

Interesting article on the RCAF Cyclone maritime helicopters; it's a cautionary tale and reminder on the pitfalls against ordering bespoke (or Canadianized) military systems. While politicians share all the blame for the early problems with the Sea King replacement; I blame DND for the Cyclone selection and their insistence on certain capabilities that were "unique" to RCAF needs (ability to float; rear ramp; payload requirements etc.). IMO, we would have been much better off going with Romeo's like most of our allies. Interesting that the govt. is also now engaging consultants (again) for this project; one of the defense experts at the end of the article is wondering if the govt. is considering a different platform.
I am not sure why DND wanted a larger helicopter with a rear ramp for the RCN SeaKing replacement. The RCN wanted the EH101 (Merlin). Many here know why we ended up with the Cyclone, a mere paper design when ordered. My question, is the EH101 being kept up to date. If so then it is another reason it should not have been cancelled. As for the bigger payload and rear ramp, I hope those capabilities were necessary as opposed to lock out specs against Sikorsky. As I recall, NH and AW both tendered. Not sure what Sikorsky bid at the time.

As for yet another helicopter…..probably $hit that a new government will have to deal with. Good luck finding another $5-6 billion (at least).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some further details on the sustainability of our CH-148 helicopters. Superb acquisition by the Liberal Party of Canada. They actually thought this would prevent embarrassment of Chrétien’s EH101 cancellation. Dumping this helicopter might be the best financial option but it would be too embarrassing for the Liberals. Another job for a future government assuming the Conservatives win.

swerve

Super Moderator
The British army almost didn't get the Boxer, because after the cancellation 20 years ago, one of the criteria for selecting something to fill the gap was reckoned to be "not Boxer", to avoid embarrassment. It still got shortlisted, but Piranha V was selected. But then that fell through, & a later government (different party) bit the bullet & went back to Boxer. Eventually. Hundreds of millions wasted, IIRC.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The British army almost didn't get the Boxer, because after the cancellation 20 years ago, one of the criteria for selecting something to fill the gap was reckoned to be "not Boxer", to avoid embarrassment. It still got shortlisted, but Piranha V was selected. But then that fell through, & a later government (different party) bit the bullet & went back to Boxer. Eventually. Hundreds of millions wasted, IIRC.
Our procurement people must have trained at the same uni, PU.

OldTex

If the RCAF is having problems recruiting and retaining personnel then you need look no further than the announcement of a contract to sustain the CH-146 Griffon helicopters in service until some time in the 2030s. Canadian Defence Minister Bill Blair stated “As we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Royal Canadian Air Force, today’s investment is yet another sign of our commitment to invest in our aviators to keep Canada safe,” .......... WTF the first flight was 1992 with introduction into service in 1995. So he believes a 30 year old helicopter keeps his country safe and will continue to do so for another 10 to 15 years.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
If the RCAF is having problems recruiting and retaining personnel then you need look no further than the announcement of a contract to sustain the CH-146 Griffon helicopters in service until some time in the 2030s. Canadian Defence Minister Bill Blair stated “As we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Royal Canadian Air Force, today’s investment is yet another sign of our commitment to invest in our aviators to keep Canada safe,” .......... WTF the first flight was 1992 with introduction into service in 1995. So he believes a 30 year old helicopter keeps his country safe and will continue to do so for another 10 to 15 years.
Not entirely surprising, given some of Canada's defence procurement history. The CH-124 version of the Sea King entered Canadian defence service in 1963, but was not retired until 1 December 2018, a total of ~55 years of service.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I believe these helicopters were licensed built in Quebec and for sure that is where the sustainment work will be performed on these relics. Quebec, no need to explain any further.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not entirely surprising, given some of Canada's defence procurement history. The CH-124 version of the Sea King entered Canadian defence service in 1963, but was not retired until 1 December 2018, a total of ~55 years of service.
Some F-18s will be close to that age as well as our Halifax frigates by the time new kit arrives. Assuming the Victoria class gets replaced they will likely be close to that age as well. Serving in a century old sub, prime recruitment incentive….

WRT the SeaKings, could have been 25 years earlier with better replacements except for a certain PM.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Some F-18s will be close to that age as well as our Halifax frigates by the time new kit arrives. Assuming the Victoria class gets replaced they will likely be close to that age as well. Serving in a century old sub, prime recruitment incentive….

WRT the SeaKings, could have been 25 years earlier with better replacements except for a certain PM.
To be fair though, the USN does still have an active duty frigate that is some 227 years old and is a special duty assignment.

It have been my impression though that the Sea King/Sea King replacement debacle was actually the handiwork of a couple of PM's. One of decided to cancel the replacement ordered by his immediate predecessor's gov't (at a cost of some CAN$500 mil. in contract penalties IIRC), and then his successor's gov't delayed the actual replacement further, as well as likely having put a 'finger on the scale' to tip the decision on what the final replacement would be.