Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauritz

Interesting report from SLD on the SSN decision. Well worth the read.

I tend to agree with is conclusions in regards to the French.

The contract was carefully negotiated to include a number of off ramps. Australia was never committed to completing the entire contract with the French. Had the French proceeded a little more quickly however I believe we probably wouldn't have been looking for a Plan B. Also had the British and Americans not have come on board I don't believe we would have withdrawn from the Attack program. If we were to look at other submarine builders such as the Germans or Japanese we would have been back to square one with no greater chance of success than we had with the French.

The French were really victims of their own hubris possibly believing that the program was too big to fail. There only miscalculation was that they did not foresee the possibility of Australia entering into an agreement with the Americans and British.

76mmGuns

Impressive ship and an interesting article. At least I can say the name now, “noy-yee-nah”. It came as no surprise the model was from Australian Antarctic Division, Lego is what they do over those long, isolated winters.
Is that real? They really play lego?

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hm, the quality of the welding around the two forward scuttles looks a bit suss - the plates seem to be distorted; not exactly dished but a heat transfer? Not really my area of expertise but not a great look!
Back in the day that turret would have been rotated 180degs in those conditions.
Yep ... there was really no reason to pummel the elevation seals in such conditions. Not sure how the Mk 45 turret is impacted in these conditions but it would seem a reasonable precaution .... provided the back of the turret could take the impact.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
On a slightly different note - a view of things to come for the RAN:

I notice that at a couple of points in the video, but specifically from 1:12 for about 10-15 seconds they are showing you round the deck of a Type 23 frigate - HOW does that equate to T26 / Hunter, as they have NO walkways on the flanks of the ship ??

OldNavy63

Not sure if Navy will install anything more than a couple of .50 Cal on the Cape Class.
I'd guess there is space and weight for something larger mounted forward.
Does then beg the question what will happen to the Typhoon 25 mm Bushmasters when the Armidale Class retire.

Regards S
I read a number of articles about the unveiling of the Evolved Cape Class but the following, fm Defence Connect, has reported the vessels will be fitted with a 30mm stabilised main gun, two x 12.7mm RWS and provision for short range ASM and a multi-mission bay for UAV, UUV or SF detachments Including hangar space for UAVS. This is more extensive than I expected nor would have thought possible unless the Conops have also “evolved”, HMAS Tardis perhaps?

The author does not have much experience in reporting defence matters specifically but appears to be reasonably qualified otherwise.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I read a number of articles about the unveiling of the Evolved Cape Class but the following, fm Defence Connect, has reported the vessels will be fitted with a 30mm stabilised main gun, two x 12.7mm RWS and provision for short range ASM and a multi-mission bay for UAV, UUV or SF detachments Including hangar space for UAVS. This is more extensive than I expected nor would have thought possible unless the Conops have also “evolved”, HMAS Tardis perhaps?

The author does not have much experience in reporting defence matters specifically but appears to be reasonably qualified otherwise.

Um yeah :rolleyes:

Thinking he is confusing and listed potential future for the Arafura's and not the evolved Cape Class :D

Stampede

Thanks for the link.
Sounds armament optimistic.

I do like the concept of a 30mm stabilised main gun.
Upgraded Typhoon perhaps?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Regards S

Redlands18

Thanks for the link.
Sounds armament optimistic.

I do like the concept of a 30mm stabilised main gun.
Upgraded Typhoon perhaps?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Regards S
Australia is definitely getting away from 25mm Guns, almost certainly to be the same Gun that the Hunters are getting.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Somebody has been reading the Austal publicity blurb and has made assumptions from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.