Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To clarify the confusion over the Seahawk image (which is located here in the ADF Image Library) it's a 6 frame composite image created by ABIS Jarrod Mulvihill of 1 helo taking off. The caption states : "An MH-60 Romeo helicopter conducts a running take off as part of first of class flight trials onboard HMAS Adelaide. This image has been digitally altered." Why are they taking off heading aft ? NFI but maybe because it's part of the trials ? Military ops, you have to be able to adapt and overcome.

vonnoobie

Me too!

I'm depressed that the RAN would put up a fake image on the official ADF website with out making clear the extent of how much it had been digitally altered (i.e. turning a single helicopter into six). The wording on the ADF site as of 2.51pm EST had still not made it clear.
At least the release by 'Contact" was altered to include the word 'single". For years I have accepted images on the government Defence site as genuine so I hope this is a one off.

Mind you I quite like the concept of being able to deploy six Romeos from an LHD in particular circumstances. ;)

Tas
They did it on purpose, The latest in 3d imaging holograms. Now the ADF has jumped in size by 500% and no one knows which one to shoot at ;)

That or really is just the 6 frame picture overlayed and he wanted to show off by parking it in reverse

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I
It's all the stokers fault. They shouldn't be making so much smoke. Maybe they should be up there painting the funnel, but then they don't know what a paint brush is for, the freshers would probably kill them, and getting a stoker out of their pit is damn nigh impossible except when "Up Spirits" and "Shore leave for off duty watches" is piped. :p
I once witnessed stokers having to paint on the upper decks. They pissed off their charge so well he came to the ships painter asking what needs doing.

Being an FFG we had plenty that were needed doing so aft had a group of grumpy stokers getting to it with PO CSS both supervising and enjoy his day :D

Last edited:

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC that was supposed to be a capability option for the design
Correct, the JC1 and the initial design has space and weight available for an 8 cell VLS on top of the island. I believe this is still the case for the JC1, not sure if this has been retained for Turkey ? This option was removed from the Canberra's and critical changes in the island internal layout for Australia has deleted that option.

As has always been stated by Defence and the RAN, the Hobart's and Anzac's, plus Future Frigate (Hunters) were always intended to supply that protection for the LHD's, AOR's and the remainder of the fleet.

Cheers

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To clarify the confusion over the Seahawk image (which is located here in the ADF Image Library) it's a 6 frame composite image created by ABIS Jarrod Mulvihill of 1 helo taking off. The caption states : "An MH-60 Romeo helicopter conducts a running take off as part of first of class flight trials onboard HMAS Adelaide. This image has been digitally altered." Why are they taking off heading aft ? NFI but maybe because it's part of the trials ? Military ops, you have to be able to adapt and overcome.
The mid caption is even more informative. HMAS Canberra spent a lot of days doing first of type trials with ADF and other operator 's helicopters/Osprey determining and setting safe operating limits for each before she reached IOC. Pretty obvious to me this might include ensuring that there'd be no unwelcome surprises if for some reason the helicopters needed to take off or land in a less than optimal fashion.

oldsig

hauritz

Grey with pennant number ... that means they will be commissioned right?

Looks like there might be a gun mount as well. Something missing on the rest of the Cape class.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hm, the quality of the welding around the two forward scuttles looks a bit suss - the plates seem to be distorted; not exactly dished but a heat transfer? Not really my area of expertise but not a great look!

Stampede

Grey with pennant number ... that means they will be commissioned right?

Looks like there might be a gun mount as well. Something missing on the rest of the Cape class.
Not sure if Navy will install anything more than a couple of .50 Cal on the Cape Class.
I'd guess there is space and weight for something larger mounted forward.
Does then beg the question what will happen to the Typhoon 25 mm Bushmasters when the Armidale Class retire.

Regards S

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting report from SLD on the SSN decision. Well worth the read.

Severely

I was looking at the image of the Evolved Cape Class and agree the sheet metal looks at best a bit "wonky". How exactly did they replace the poor quality aluminium from China that was discussed in Senate Estimates. Were there major prefabrications or just panel replacement. If anyone actually knows it would be appreciated.

Prior to construction artists renderings showed a 25mm gun up front. Not sure if that is still the case or in plans ahead.

Austal announces $100m contract with Trinidad & Tobago

cdxbow

At the risk of not being a serious enough topic and being banned, I just found there's a Lego model of the RSV Nuyina at the Australian National Maritime Museum :)

Impressive ship and an interesting article. At least I can say the name now, “noy-yee-nah”. It came as no surprise the model was from Australian Antarctic Division, Lego is what they do over those long, isolated winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.