Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Volkodav

Volkodav Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I actually asked the question about systems commonality with the Aegir verses the Cantabria back in 2012 and the answer was quite simple, fit the Aegir with all the required common systems. It is a very flexible design that can be tailored to the specific requirements of any customer navy using any systems desired with minimal impact on cost or schedule.

2. Muar River

Muar River Member

Are there any Aegir ships operating with Navies around the world today? Cost appears to be a strong motivating factor for the RN. Ditto the Kiwis who appear to be keen on the ship.

Interestingly, the Cantabria may be chartered to operate with the RCN. We know the RCN has chosen the Berlin Class which appears also to be a fine class of ship.

3. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/first-tide-class-fleet-tanker-now-afloat/

RFA Tidespring, the first Aegir-class vessel to be constructed, is afloat at the DSME shipyard in South Korea, and is scheduled to be delivered to the UK later this year for fit-out with radar and other systems.There are no Aegir ships currently in service, as Tidespring is the first of five currently under order (4 x UK, 1 x Norway)

There is some more detailed info at the ink below, but I have struggled to get the PDFs to load.

Site Map

4. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

I viewed the Feb2015 news file and the pictures of the ship's construction are impressive.

5. meatshield

meatshield Member

Dose anyone know if the new Seahawks have ability to remove their dipping sonar to free up space in the aircraft when not needed. I've read the nh90 version had that ability and that Sikorsky spoke about that being an option. Did that end up happening?

6. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Yes it can from memory, I read somewhere it takes about 4-5 hours

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

I see Damen has prepared a little showing for a conference soon

Damen Shipyards at Pacific Sydney 2015

Patrol 5009 - Pacific boat? Patrol Boat? Coast Guard?
    OPV - 1400 - New OPV/OCV ? - I quite like this one. It seems to do everything Australia needs in a Patrol ship.

8. Beam

Beam New Member

I don't think the 1400 will take any of our current helicopters.
    The 1800 on the other hand, should, and has a better endurance / range.

9. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Apparantly future helicopter capabilty calls for both manned and unmanned and ADF has shown interest in the MQ8C Fire Scout. If and it's a big if we did go for the damen 1400 according to the brochure it has a flight deck capabilty of 6000kg which is the max take off weight of MQ-8C but that leaves no room for expansion at a later date. Scuttlebutt has pointed towards something like the Damen 2400 which would give us a future growth path

10. StingrayOZ

While the bigger ships are certainly more capable. I'm not sure if we would be getting many/any of those.We were looking at <2000t.

I agree that the 1800 would seem to be a better fit, sea axe bow, order 20 of them. Replace patrol, surveys, mine hunters etc. Seems odd then that the 1400 model and regular bow has been modelled up for display. That said I still like th 1400, it would still over loads more capability than what we have today.

11. gf0012-aust

gf0012-aust Grumpy Old Man Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

won't do them much good

everyone has been told to stay away from anyone in industry who currently has skin in the game

and as Damien have been building ships for HMAS DFAT for the last 5 years (the navy when we don't want a navy) - then their show and tell stand will only be visited by people who have no influence in current procurement activities....

12. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Would the Sea Axe design be applicable to the RAN as a majority of the time they would just be puttering around at low speeds, what would the price deviation be from a Sea Axe design to a traditional design.

Don't really know anything about that sort of thing from a sea keeping point of view if the Sea Axe design is better for the RAN

13. rockitten

rockitten Member

14. Joe Black

Joe Black Active Member

15. Volkodav

Volkodav Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

No no no no no!

Closing Codock and concentrating shipbuilding at Williamstown was bad enough, then staving Tenix out of the business by moving the lions share of shipbuilding work to a greenfields site in Adelaide (after a completely unnecessary shipbuilding blackhole) was even worse, moving the construction of submarines, or major combatants, to WA would be nothing short of wasteful stupidity. I can see it now, we move everything to WA then wonder why the brand new facility is not as capable as the existing one and is nowhere near worlds best practice, the media has a field day and it all becomes a political football with SA, VIC and NSW pollies going gang busters hammering WA and trying to secure the next big contract over WA.

Basically moving subs and/or skimmers to WA would just be repeating the same stupid mistakes of the last fifty years, chopping and changing yards, ordering classes from overseas then rebuilding the industry locally, splitting builds between yards, failing to provide any yards with a sustainable amount of work and then complaining about how expensive and inefficient the whole thing is.

No, never, ever again!

16. vonnoobie

vonnoobie Active Member

This is just getting ridiculous, It is literally just traveling around Australia from one major state city to the next.. at this rate I'm going to be investing in Darwin because they are likely to get the next major naval project down the track.....

Yes Henderson has some great naval shipbuilder's and various other very capable companies, They could easily be pulled into the supply chain however they are in no way set up to produce the submarine in full. Want to increase maintenance facilities, Go for it, Want to even start full cycle dockings there, Possibly feasible so look into it, But in no way build them there. We would literally be throwing away one of the world's most advanced facilities for a lower quality one.

Naturally it will come down to politics, those from WA have b****ed and moaned about such project's over time, but soon as something comes out that they might get it they jump on board with praise a plenty for it.

17. 40 deg south

40 deg south Well-Known Member

I understand that DMS Maritime (a Serco company) is buying a couple of submarine escape/gear rescue ships from Damen's Vietnam yard.

Have any prices for these vessels ever been released? The larger platform could be a solid contender for NZ's LIttoral Operations Support Vessel if the price is right.

18. hairyman

hairyman Member

Everything will turn out okay. The RAN will have aluminium submarines, that's all.:eek:nfloorl:

19. Jezza

Jezza Member

If the politicians had some brains,......lol

The work should be shared out and keep everyone happy.
    But alas that's in a perfect world.

20. StingrayOZ

I would imagine it would really depend on the conops setup in the whitepaper. I could certainly see it worth for a percentage of the RAN patrol ships to have a sea axe design. But it really depends what they are really intending to use them for. Is the size being driven by helo/systems or endurance/seakeeping/patrol issues.

I imagine many in industry would like to have a good eyeball and chin wag. Still they aren't playing hardball. Its not like they have hired all the ex-brass as consultants and are running fortnightly press releases for media and flying scribes over to "have a look" in between leaving messages at the PM's office or doing it through diplomatic links.
    I would expect WA to have anything but a minor role. Despite what jounos in WA papers might want to read into it. Really, who honestly believes Austal (eyeroll) is going to build subs with all the unemployed from mining. I think such flights of fancy died with Johnstone being kicked out with comments about a canoe.

If WA businesses want to partner on aspects of the build then they should do it the same way as Sydney or Melbourne suppliers do, not by moving the whole build to WA. Its not like 100% of every component is going to be built in South Australia and nobody else gets anything.