Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoresBasher

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not being in the loop, is it possible the Tobruk may outlast both LPH's (despire the 2012 pay off) given the maintenance issues on the latter?
My best guess would be, if we do get the Bay Class, and it does what we want it to do, Tobruk would be more likely to go before Kanimbla.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not being in the loop, is it possible the Tobruk may outlast both LPH's (despire the 2012 pay off) given the maintenance issues on the latter?
I'd say its on a death watch. I'd also say that someone is having a quick look at what can be stuft if an emergency occurs in the region

A

Aussie Digger

The LCM's have been canned as well - unsurprising in light of the inexorable but slow move to kill off bill and ben....
Do you reckon that a Minors project could be raised to buy the ADF a tape measure for when they design the requirements for their next LCM type craft?

:D

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Do you reckon that a Minors project could be raised to buy the ADF a tape measure for when they design the requirements for their next LCM type craft?

:D
they need more than a tape measure. there are some other probs doing the rounds for the next LCM's

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
they need more than a tape measure. there are some other probs doing the rounds for the next LCM's
The ADF does have a knack for specifying kit that doesn't physically fit where they need it to fit. Leads to scope creep and cost over runs that make the contractors and SMEs, whose advice was ignored, look bad.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The ADF does have a knack for specifying kit that doesn't physically fit where they need it to fit. Leads to scope creep and cost over runs that make the contractors and SMEs, whose advice was ignored, look bad.
not only the SME's get ignored.... :)

however, the first lesson in survival for when it goes to a Deep Dive or audit is to make sure that you have documented your concerns, who, when where, why - and your intials, so that when the grim reaper of process rolls up, you hold up your get out of jail card

buglerbilly

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
That's called CYA in other people's language..........nothing wrong with that by the way! ;)

(Oh my God I got lost! What am I doing here? :D)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's called CYA in other people's language..........nothing wrong with that by the way! ;)

(Oh my God I got lost! What am I doing here? :D)
depends on your perspective.

when the auditors of the apocalypse arrive on administrative horseback it's also called BOHICA.... :)

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
not only the SME's get ignored.... :)

however, the first lesson in survival for when it goes to a Deep Dive or audit is to make sure that you have documented your concerns, who, when where, why - and your intials, so that when the grim reaper of process rolls up, you hold up your get out of jail card
Attended a legal compliance seminar in a previous life where they refered to that as "smoking guns" and basically threatened us with summary execution if we were caught producing any. I swear more lawyers than engineers reviewed my test reports!

Believe it or not my current home is actually far more reasonable and understanding about the need to record the fact you are doing the right thing.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'd say its on a death watch. I'd also say that someone is having a quick look at what can be stuft if an emergency occurs in the region
Under AU flag the pickings are thin and almost anything with decent uplift capcity will need a port or transhipment facilities to operate.

SASWanabe

this might seem like a dumb question but cant manora's crew cover the manning of a Bay Class?

why would the Kiwis get invited in?

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
this might seem like a dumb question but cant manora's crew cover the manning of a Bay Class?

why would the Kiwis get invited in?
The article refers to the acquisition of 2 ships, depending on what article you read this refers to discussion with allies in the operation of one, some refer to Def Min Smith referring directly to discussion with the NZ others are less specific.

SASWanabe

QUESTION: How soon will you be able to acquire a bay class ship from the British?

STEPHEN SMITH: We are looking at either a lease or a purchase of a Bay Class, and I've already had discussions with Defence Secretary Fox and I'll continue those discussions by phone this week. That is one option. What has become clear in recent weeks is that the original transition plan which was dependant upon the ongoing operational capacity of the Manoora and the Kanimbla and the Tobruk will not now be sufficient to make the transition to the new Landing Helicopter Docks.

So we need to put in place a new transitional arrangement. The prospect of leasing or buying a Bay Class amphibious vessel from the United Kingdom is one option. We are looking at other options including the possibility, for example of shared or cooperative service with close countries and allies.
Australian Government, Department of Defence - Stephen Smith MP

what i get from that is we either buy the bay "OR" share a ship with someone.

does that mean we share Cantebury?

Sea Toby

There is always the possibility of leasing and hot transfering one of the US Navy's Austin class LPDs for a few years... America is decommissioning the entire class as the new San Antonio class LPDs are being built... I know its not the most ideal solution, but I am sure this could be arranged...

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There is always the possibility of leasing and hot transfering one of the US Navy's Austin class LPDs for a few years... America is decommissioning the entire class as the new San Antonio class LPDs are being built... I know its not the most ideal solution, but I am sure this could be arranged...
That would be a very hard sell considering the Newport's :D
We would have more chances of getting the QE or at least the AR, but I could not see the RAN buying into that potential black hole

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer

Quoted from Ninemsn, as ABC has "updated" the article.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith said he would discuss with his NZ counterpart the option of both nations jointly operating a new vessel.
A new vessel being the operative word I based my posts on.
Though my initial comprehension of two new vessels could be based on ambiguous reference to the Canberra's.

SASWanabe

im pretty sure the "New Vessel" bit was taken from here.

STEPHEN SMITH: I'm not proposing to speculate in that respect. I think if you look at the use of our amphibious vessels, often they have been used not just for defence or military purposes, but for disaster relief.

The Kanimbla, for example, most recently was used for disaster relief in the face of an Indonesian earthquake. We have worked very closely, for example, in disaster relief in our region with New Zealand, and New Zealand have amphibious vessels.

So there is a prospect that we could work closely with New Zealand in that context, and this is something that I will discuss with my New Zealand counterpart when we have the annual Australia New Zealand Defence Ministers meeting in the near future.
note that nowhere in that quote does it say "New Vessel" im pretty sure that is a reporter putting their own spin on things.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
im pretty sure the "New Vessel" bit was taken from here.

note that nowhere in that quote does it say "New Vessel" im pretty sure that is a reporter putting their own spin on things.
I would agree new would mean additional than the RAN currently operates, though we can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.