Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

SASWanabe

it would be pretty interesting if we got 2 vessels tho, we might be able to convince the brits to sell us both Largs Bay and Albion :p:, id still rather we get QE over albion:D

Kirkzzy

I know this is a bit off topic and hope this doesn't interrupt your convo which you are welcome to continue after this short tiny post.

ADF media has just released a LHD update/promo video for those interested following the announcement of the decommissioning of the Manoora.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiY-RUXtWM"]YouTube - Navantia LHDs[/nomedia]

Something to note from the description "HMAS Manoora and the Royal Australian Navy's other amphibious support ships (HMAS Kanimbla and HMAS Tobruk) will be replaced by two Canberra Class LHDs, the largest Ships ever operated by the Royal Australian Navy." I know it is planned and all (the sea lift ship) but there is no mention of it in here, could it just be that they are trying to explain it in a more basic way?

swerve

Super Moderator
it would be pretty interesting if we got 2 vessels tho, we might be able to convince the brits to sell us both Largs Bay and Albion :p:, id still rather we get QE over albion:D
Dammit, can't you lot get over your obsession with buying RN ships which aren't for sale?

In order to have one LPD available all the time, we need two, & that's the plan: one active, one in reserve, alternating in service. Ditto aircraft carriers, barring some mythical deal enabling us to use CdG for our own wars. And what the hell would you do with QE anyway? Are you going to buy F-35C instead of F-35A? Because unless you do, you ain't going to be able to fill her.

SASWanabe

Dammit, can't you lot get over your obsession with buying RN ships which aren't for sale?

In order to have one LPD available all the time, we need two, & that's the plan: one active, one in reserve, alternating in service. Ditto aircraft carriers, barring some mythical deal enabling us to use CdG for our own wars. And what the hell would you do with QE anyway? Are you going to buy F-35C instead of F-35A? Because unless you do, you ain't going to be able to fill her.

the Albion bit was too have a dig at the current state of the RN. no need to take is personally

QE is technicaly possible, we already have 24 Shornet so theres not much need to but F35C, they'll still be the most capable carrier A/C outside the F35.

the reason we're talking about buying it is because the UK government has said they might be prepared to sell it

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hmmm, Navantia say 16 Chinook, the Ausgov say 12 helicopters, am i missing something?
Just a slight of hand in the way they present the data :) Yes she can carry up to 16 Chin's but that is below deck with rotar's folded for transportation purposes only, so for instance if we had 16 and wanted to transport them along with tanks, apc's, troops and associated gear to say A'stan or another ET then that is what it can do, but not for flying operational purposes. So they would essentialy fly on fold rotar's and de-fuel and stow below for the trip and come back to daylight to disembark

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
OMG someone has finaly mentioned how the bay class is perfect for the Strategic Sealift Vessel

canberratimes

and in this one someone mentions it aswel :D

Ausdefence

but which one is right about the price, 185m or 300m?
how would they know what the price is? Navy haven't said a thing and they had people over there before this became news

they're now on their second assessment team.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
how would they know what the price is? Navy haven't said a thing and they had people over there before this became news

they're now on their second assessment team.
Which makes me wonder why the announcement now re the Manoora ? It certainly needed to be done, but the timing and the fact there are several potential country's looking at the Largs may be a bit of the old twist of the arm, help out a mate we really need her (for a good price at mates rates of course) ?

SASWanabe

Which makes me wonder why the announcement now re the Manoora ? It certainly needed to be done, but the timing and the fact there are several potential country's looking at the Largs may be a bit of the old twist of the arm, help out a mate we really need her (for a good price at mates rates of course) ?
it would be pretty funny if Chile gets it, i would love to hear the speech, "Uhm, we are sorry too announce Largs Bay was sold to Chile, Now we have to share with the Kiwis"

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
manoora, kanimbla and tobruk are stuffed. if AMPT10E drops by he has a superb description of them, but which I can't in all honesty plagiarise - I just wish I thought of his description myself.. :)

killing the LCM's was inevitable as it was pretty apparent that Navy would not accept them as they refused to certify them - that was about 12 months ago and RAN was not going to shift its ground. Killing the LCM's was also sensible if the current ships were going to be dumped - it provided impetus to any defence of the decision.

I would imagine that we'd get a better price considering that the UK has made it clear that it wants to get closer to Aust and the fact that there has been an increase in exchanges over the last 18 months - and this is at an operational head shed level, not just "exchanges"

for all the bad news that goes out about ADF procurement, it doesn't seem to resonate with our partners who make it clear about what they want to borrow in the ideas bucket.

unfort that good news never gets out for a variety of reasons.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would imagine that we'd get a better price considering that the UK has made it clear that it wants to get closer to Aust and the fact that there has been an increase in exchanges over the last 18 months - and this is at an operational head shed level, not just "exchanges"

for all the bad news that goes out about ADF procurement, it doesn't seem to resonate with our partners who make it clear about what they want to borrow in the ideas bucket.

unfort that good news never gets out for a variety of reasons.
I hear you there about all the good news, typical of media and defence reporting (no offence intended to the likes of Abe etc :) ) I have a real beef about some of these guy's but that's not for here.

It is interesting to note the "exchanges" and developments that are begining to play out, combine that with the Ausmin talks and the reported outcomes there, seems some maybe tripping over one another in the race to get to us ?

Do you view it as Australia holding a few cards ? if so what suit

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
it would be pretty funny if Chile gets it, i would love to hear the speech, "Uhm, we are sorry too announce Largs Bay was sold to Chile, Now we have to share with the Kiwis"
<tongue in cheek mode> I am sure the RNZN would be quite happy to share its "Missile carrying / firing" naval helicopters aka Sea Sprites with the RAN, until the RAN gets up to speed / actually has some 'copters that can <sic> :D :D :D :D :D.

Add to that the RNZAF helping out the RAF with its ASW ......

Kirkzzy

<tongue in cheek mode> I am sure the RNZN would be quite happy to share its "Missile carrying / firing" naval helicopters aka Sea Sprites with the RAN, until the RAN gets up to speed / actually has some 'copters that can <sic> :D :D :D :D :D.

Add to that the RNZAF helping out the RAF with its ASW ......
/shakes fist
:mad:
:hitwall
Dammit, you guys are supposed to be asking us for help!

Anyway.. so I am guessing the MH-60Rs are going to be Navy as they are a Sea Hawk variant or.....?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway.. so I am guessing the MH-60Rs are going to be Navy as they are a Sea Hawk variant or.....?
They are indeed, they're in the running along with the NFH-90 as the new Navy heli. I don't know enough about the acquisitions process to know if the link on the previous page is a big-time indicator that the Romeo is running ahead but from what I understand both helicopters have their pros and cons. Given where the NFH-90 is at and size concerns etc, I tend to think the MH-60R would be the less complicated choice, but I'm sure other more well informed people around here could give you a better idea. :)

swerve

Super Moderator
the Albion bit was too have a dig at the current state of the RN. no need to take is personally

QE is technicaly possible, we already have 24 Shornet so theres not much need to but F35C, they'll still be the most capable carrier A/C outside the F35.

the reason we're talking about buying it is because the UK government has said they might be prepared to sell it
Why all the bloody digs? Is this the well-balanced ocker, with a chip on each shoulder? :p: If you're going to give it out, don't act hurt when someone kicks back.

I said fill her up. 24 F-18F is a lot less than a full ship load, & would only allow a token contingent most of the time. With an air force the size of the RAAF & a carrier the size of QE, the only sensible thing to do would be to have the entire fighter force carrier-capable.

swerve

Super Moderator
Apparently, it's certain she's heading south. The Canucks had a look but decided not to make an offer, & now it's down to three serious buyers - ABC, Australia, Brazil & Chile.

AFAIK the Treasury wants as much money as it can get, but politics might get in the way. Mates rates might be more likely if some other deal also seems on the cards, e.g. Type 26 - but remember we're also trying to sell that (& OPVs) to Brazil, & probably eyeing Chile as a future target customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.