Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazdog

What the?

Is joining the RAN (and ADF generally), now a popularity contest? Seriously?

Just throw history and tradition out the window to disappear like a fart in the wind?

If young people were only looking to join because of a trendy name, then that would be a very sad day indeed, ('trendy' or 'fashionable' names do exactly what those two words mean, they come, go and disappear).

I'm with Takao, in the short, but busy 100+ years of history for the RAN there has been a number of ship names that are significant (including the ones that he has mentioned), I for one would love to see those names he mentioned 'live' again.
I'm not saying it is right, but I am suggesting it as a possible explanation as to the current naming of ships.

Come up with an alternative if you will, I'm happy to dismiss my earlier explanation upon more convincing evidence.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I hoped they might repeat some more of the WW2 frigate names for the OPVs; Lachlan, Culgoa, Barwon, Shoalhaven, Burdekin, Condamine, Barcoo and especially Murchison (the Baron of the Han). They could have thrown in Warrego, Derwent, Torrens and Swan, too.

At some point they need to bite the bullet and repeat Voyager - after all we’ve had three Sydneys since Sydney II was lost with all hands; and it’s now 56 years since Voyager II was lost. Lost in her were some of my generation of the Navy, but it’s time. The Scrap Iron Flotilla should not be forgotten.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I'm not saying it is right, but I am suggesting it as a possible explanation as to the current naming of ships.

Come up with an alternative if you will, I'm happy to dismiss my earlier explanation upon more convincing evidence.
Simple reason, apologist and political correctness, all started with the naming of HMAS Choules.

No disrespect to Claude Choules either.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I hoped they might repeat some more of the WW2 frigate names for the OPVs; Lachlan, Culgoa, Barwon, Shoalhaven, Burdekin, Condamine, Barcoo and especially Murchison (the Baron of the Han). They could have thrown in Warrego, Derwent, Torrens and Swan, too.

At some point they need to bite the bullet and repeat Voyager - after all we’ve had three Sydneys since Sydney II was lost with all hands; and it’s now 56 years since Voyager II was lost. Lost in her were some of my generation of the Navy, but it’s time. The Scrap Iron Flotilla should not be forgotten.
When the Hunter class was named, I was disappointed.

I thought it was about time that the names of the three Daring class were revived (the Vampire class would have been ok with me), plus of course a revival of other WWII and pre-WWII ships too.

But hey, just my opinion of course too.

Cheers,

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Interesting point, can you please expand on that?
How old are you? Because if you are as old as me then you will clearly know what I mean, you will clearly understand how political correctness has changed everything (and not necessarily for the better in certain ways either).

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I dislike the names for the Hunter's - Hunter was at least Navy but Tasman wasn't. It's more suitable for MCM / patrol boats.

The Hunter's are warships, and damn capable ones. We have warships with historical names already - there are the cities (Darwin, Newcastle, Perth, Melbourne), the N's (Napier, Nizam, Nestor (especially)), the Q's (Quality, Queenborough, Quadrant), or - and my personal favourite - the Scrap Iron Flotilla. Waterhen and Voyager may not be feasible, but that still leaves Stuart, Vampire and Vendetta. What better names than three ships that drew the personal ire of the greatest threat to the RAN - ever? Every one of those ships have history, strong linkages to the RAN and reflect Australian heritage and history. Tasman? pshaw...

The Arafura Class I don't mind. There is an argument to keep the town names, but I understand the CN expanding it to regions is a deliberate ploy to encompass more people - which makes sense and reflects their role better. Perhaps not Hammersley though....
Then there were the N (Napier, Nizam, Norman, Nestor and Nepal), the Q (Queenborough, Quality, Quickmatch, Quiberon and Quadrant) class destroyers, the rest of the S and T class from between the wars (only Success and Stalwart have reappeared, Swordsman, Tattoo an Tasmania remaining. Lots of names with lots of history to choose from.

Interestingly there was almost a Waterhen II, it was to have been the fourth RAN Daring class destroyer but was cancelled after being laid down in the early 50s for capacity then economic reasons, with the Type 15 ASW frigate conversions of the Qs then the Type 12 / Rivers Class having priority.

Thinking on it there were also the old cruiser names, Encounter, Psyche, Pioneer and the really old Protector. There was also HMAS Shropshire, transferred to the RAN to replace Canberra I in WWII, and HMAS Vengeance loaned to cover Melbourne II being delayed due to being completed to a modified design (a different story entirely but had Melbourne been delivered as planned to her original design a new build carrier would have been required in the late 50s and there may have been money for her).

Last edited:

Hazdog

How old are you? Because if you are as old as me then you will clearly know what I mean, you will clearly understand how political correctness has changed everything (and not necessarily for the better in certain ways either).
I am old enough to see the ridiculous PC world that we live in like you seem to also see. I 100% agree that it is detrimental to our society, but:

My question was not in relation to how the world has become so detrimentally PC, but to how the Choules naming is PC.

I've seen many disgustingly offputting PC moves by the governments of today around the world, but I don't believe mentioning them would provide any valuable discussion to this forum.

If you would explain how HMAS Choules' naming is PC, I'd really appreciate it.

Again to reiterate, I am not shedding an opinion of the current names (good or bad), but I am simply offering another explanation to what has been decided, whilst also looking to understand other views.

Cheers,
H

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My question was not in relation to how the world has become so detrimentally PC, but to how the Choules naming is PC.
I think (and please correct me if I have this wrong) what @John Newman was referring to regarding naming the RAN's Bay-class LSD HMAS Choules was essentially PC was because AFAIK Claude Choules's most noteworthy naval accomplishment was that he was the last surviving veteran from WWI at the time of his death, which was just after Australia won the bid for the ex-Largs Bay. If one looks at the namesakes for the various Collins-class submarines, the naval personnel so honoured either had long, distinguished and noteworthy careers in the RAN, or they were killed in action either during or after having performed distinguished service in the RAN.

Hazdog

I think (and please correct me if I have this wrong) what @John Newman was referring to regarding naming the RAN's Bay-class LSD HMAS Choules was essentially PC was because AFAIK Claude Choules's most noteworthy naval accomplishment was that he was the last surviving veteran from WWI at the time of his death, which was just after Australia won the bid for the ex-Largs Bay. If one looks at the namesakes for the various Collins-class submarines, the naval personnel so honoured either had long, distinguished and noteworthy careers in the RAN, or they were killed in action either during or after having performed distinguished service in the RAN.
Thank you for that explanation, I see John's (if that's what it was) point and agree with him now.

Cheers,
H

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I met Claude Choules on a couple of occasions. At the time of his death he seems to have been the last living WW1 serviceman to have seen active service left in the world, but from my (admittedly brief) association with him, I think he would have been appalled at the thought of having a ship named after him. He was a modest man who, like most who have been involved in serious wars, loathed war (he was not anti military, in any way). He said something to me like “I knew we had to fight Hitler, but I hated the whole thought of it” - not his exact words, but certainly the sense of them

Last edited:

mickm

Speaking of naming the new frigates Melbourne and Newcastle, I realise that the now decommissioned FFGs have been sold to Chile but there hasn't been much about them in the news. I am curious to know where they are at the moment, has the paint scheme and equipment etc been changed and are there any photos of what they look like now. I agree with other members that surely the name Melbourne should be a shoe in for one of the new Hunter Class frigates.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I met Claude Choules on a couple of occasions. At the time of his death he seems to have been the last living WW1 serviceman to have seen active service left in the world, but from my (admittedly brief) association with him, I think he would have been appalled at the thought of having a ship named after him. He was a modest man who, like most who have been involved in serious wars, loathed war (he was not anti military, in any way). He said something to me like “I knew we had to fight Hitler, but I hated the whole thought of it” - not his exact words, but certainly the sense of them
From what I have read about him, he did seem to be anti-war and the glorification of war. Given his age and service in two world wars, I can certainly understand him having such a perspective. Me being me, I would have had less issue if a vessel like the proposed Pacific support ship was named after him, or else something like AHS Choules.

swerve

Super Moderator
Given that there's a place called Largs Bay in South Australia, & the name therefore fits a place in Australia, I don't see why the RAN felt it had to change the name.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Given that there's a place called Largs Bay in South Australia, & the name therefore fits a place in Australia, I don't see why the RAN felt it had to change the name.
This is why Google Earth Link.
Largs Bay South Australia 5016 These two links don't work because the url addresses aren't correct. The Google Earth link doesn't have a specific place mark to go to. Both look like the original search terms. I split the last url off from the original G maps title and that is the specific url required, so it's below. NG.

The most nondescript place in Adelaide. It’s not even a bay.

Last edited by a moderator:

BPFP

Given the original class name, and the battle's role in WW2, I thought Milne Bay would have been the choice.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Agreed.
I am also surprised that Milne Bay has never been the name of any HMA ship.
MB
As my brief period prior to regular service was in the Army Reserve's 25RQR I'd once have agreed whole heartedly. However, in the great Australian tradition of taking the urine, I have now decided that there must be a much more worthy name than @MilneBay

oldsig

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Yep, pretty well spot on with what I was suggesting.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.