Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaspear

Its fair to ask why the A.D.F should be involved through the Royal Australian Army medical corp ,but this is a body that could be augmented in times of crisis for meeting domestic events that may overwhelm existing facilities ,it might even be possible that medically qualified professionals who have left thir profession could be further encouraged into a reserve for this core for times of crisis just being required for regular refresher courses.
Certainly there have been a number of scenes from overseas of exhausted medical personal succuming to this desease

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Over last weekend the stern half of Arafura was moved from the block consolidation facility onto the hard standing (formerly the CUF) at the Osborne Shipyard.

To get the discussion back to the RAN...

And with the move of the front half of Arafura onto the hardstanding over the weekend, and its subsequent join to the aft end, we now have by appearances a complete ship hull, albeit one currently without superstructure. If it was different times there would probably be a large number of visits; and one needs to see her to appreciate her size, particularly if one has been thinking in terms of Armidales. She might be much smaller than a Hobart but she is still much larger than any PB.

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
To get the discussion back to the RAN...

And with the move of the front half of Arafura onto the hardstanding over the weekend, and its subsequent join to the aft end, we now have by appearances a complete ship hull, albeit one currently without superstructure. If it was different times there would probably be a large number of visits; and one needs to see her to appreciate her size, particularly if one has been thinking in terms of Armidales. She might be much smaller than a Hobart but she is still much larger than any PB.
Any chance of a picture or two?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Unfortunately not likely until such time as they are formally released - no photography in the yard, and she's not really visible externally now that the work on the new area of the shipyard has reached an advanced state.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Unfortunately not likely until such time as they are formally released - no photography in the yard, and she's not really visible externally now that the work on the new area of the shipyard has reached an advanced state.
They are stricter on photography, well actually on security in general, than any military base I have worked at. I suppose this is because there are actual consequences for a contractor violating a customers or nations security requirements, while the actually customer / military / government get to choose whether to enforce their own restrictions.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They are stricter on photography, well actually on security in general, than any military base I have worked at. I suppose this is because there are actual consequences for a contractor violating a customers or nations security requirements, while the actually customer / military / government get to choose whether to enforce their own restrictions.
This pic from 2 days ago is the only one I could find but it does give some idea of scale

Google Image Result for https://i0.wp.com/www.bairdmaritime.com/wp-content/uploads/media/k2/items/src/c15ee000a63c6516782ab90c4c87778d.jpg?resize=380%2C280&ssl=1

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There's something odd about that link. It takes me to a story about work beginning on the Arafura, but the image is associated with an article about construction of a cruise ship for Sunstone. Now not sure what I'm looking at, at all.

oldsig

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I was saving this one for April fools day but I thought we might be needing some cheering up.
View attachment 47275

:) Hm, looks like the 5 inch gunbay is running though the XO's cabin and the PO's mess; not sure how it would affect GM..... ;)

Be good if you could do an Arafura/Armidale comparison.

Assail's photos looks like they are of a couple of keel blocks being put in position (although as they are outside it may be after they were completed and before they were consolidated if they are at Osborne); there are a number of additional hull blocks placed on top of those before you get to the uppers. OTOH, the background looks a bit strange as do the flags on top, so I suspect that somebody has just taken a stock photo of some hull blocks and used them in a story.

Last edited:

Milne Bay

There's something odd about that link. It takes me to a story about work beginning on the Arafura, but the image is associated with an article about construction of a cruise ship for Sunstone. Now not sure what I'm looking at, at all.

oldsig
Yes, the shape of the hull looked odd to me too.
I couldn't help thinking of the description of the WW2 corvettes "....that they would roll on wet grass...."
MB

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, the shape of the hull looked odd to me too.
I couldn't help thinking of the description of the WW2 corvettes "....that they would roll on wet grass...."
MB
I am with you on that oddness of it. The cranes in the background are not the large blue mobile ones used at ASC and the blocking is different. Finally I cannot see the rails on which the vessel should sit if it is being consolidated at ASC.

1585107184473.png

Joe Black

I was saving this one for April fools day but I thought we might be needing some cheering up.
View attachment 47275
5" gun is Mk45 is a little too big for the Arafura class. I reckon the 76mm OTO Melara Mk-75 would be a better fit for its size. There is also a lack of a fire control radar, like the STIR, for the gun. I would also suggest a telescopic hanger for an UAV helo like the MQ-8 Fire scout. Missing on the ship are also the chaff launchers.. Otherwise, an almost perfect OCV for RAN. :)

Well done!

Redlands18

5" gun is Mk45 is a little too big for the Arafura class. I reckon the 76mm OTO Melara Mk-75 would be a better fit for its size. There is also a lack of a fire control radar, like the STIR, for the gun. I would also suggest a telescopic hanger for an UAV helo like the MQ-8 Fire scout. Missing on the ship are also the chaff launchers.. Otherwise, an almost perfect OCV for RAN. :)

Well done!
The danger with @hauritz joke model is some Youtube type key board Warrior will get hold of it and try to seriously push it as proof of how they think the Arafura class should be armed and how the Navy knows nothing and they know better:)

Milne Bay

Well done!
Ummm... well ..........twin phalanx on a patrol vessel ....... not to mention that they would both be fried by any harpoon launch.
I thought it was a good joke and helped brighten a pretty gloomy week.
MB

Status
Not open for further replies.