Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Its not a photoshop and its not operational either, its an interface specifically designed to allow Danish Navy Tugs to secure and transport Stanflex modules, including the 3" gun one.

t68

Its not a photoshop and its not operational either, its an interface specifically designed to allow Danish Navy Tugs to secure and transport Stanflex modules, including the 3" gun one.
Ha, I thought for sure it was photoshop. but what you say makes sense if the have access to storage or maintenance via waterways like the old RAN armament armoury Newington

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
At last! NUSHIP Sydney DDG42 arrives in Sydney for the first time.
BZ AWD Alliance.

Looks great.

A timely end to the program. I hope this time can be actively used to prep the yards for the Attack class and the Hunter class. Maybe welders can practice welding offsite, engineers can still engineer offsite, maintenance and site expansion can continue etc.

WA/SA seems to have very few COVID cases other than those imported on planes/cruise ships. I hope both states aren't widely affected by the current situation long term.

Redlands18

Looks great.

A timely end to the program. I hope this time can be actively used to prep the yards for the Attack class and the Hunter class. Maybe welders can practice welding offsite, engineers can still engineer offsite, maintenance and site expansion can continue etc.

WA/SA seems to have very few COVID cases other than those imported on planes/cruise ships. I hope both states aren't widely affected by the current situation long term.
A bigger worry for the RAN could be the situation in Spain with Supply and Stalwart.

hauritz

The rendering of this ship is substantially different from other models I have seen of this ship. It seems to have a mini hanger and they have removed two of the RHIBs. The gun upfront also looks like Mk-110 57mm gun as well.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The rendering of this ship is substantially different from other models I have seen of this ship. It seems to have a mini hanger and they have removed two of the RHIBs. The gun upfront also looks like Mk-110 57mm gun as well.
I'm actually interested to see how No. 3 compares to 1 and 2. This will be Civmecs first ship ever while the first pair are following the three DDGs.

hauritz

I wonder if the replacements of the Huon's are going to be based on the Arafura class. The original plan was to replace the MCVs in the 2030s but that has been bought forward to the mid-20s.

By the way, the render is actually an OPV85 design.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That’s a very poor story, or at least headline; as Volk noted the first ship construction in WA is actually the third vessel in the program, the first two being built in SA. For progress on the real first ship see my post 27873 of last Tuesday.

And as also noted the illustration is the generic one for the OPV-85 taken from the Luerssen website; because of that it has significant differences from the Arafuras.

Last edited:

Takao

The Bunker Group
I wonder if the replacements of the Huon's are going to be based on the Arafura class. The original plan was to replace the MCVs in the 2030s but that has been bought forward to the mid-20s.

By the way, the render is actually an OPV85 design.
I'd suggest there will be significant changes to the entire mine-hunting replacement capability, taking advantage of the Arafura design, a bunch to uncrewed options and increased need. As part of the ship-building plan, there's probably scope to bring it forward too. It will certainly help employment and any stimulus the Government may wish to action. By building on uncrewed options, the hulls no longer need to be uniquely designed and we might be able to get a MCM that can go faster than a SIEV :D

Last edited:

Redlands18

A bit strange we still don’t have any names yet for ships 2-11, can’t remember a RAN Ship being laid down without a name attached.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The keels of ships two and three have yet to be officially laid, which is the now traditional time for revealing names if they are not announced on a whole of class basis. Civmec has just started cutting steel for three so the keel laying is probably some months away, while the formal ceremony for two looks like it will be delayed by you-know-what. Not even rumours that I am aware of; Mick Noonan is playing it close to the chest.

Last edited:

Flexson

A bigger worry for the RAN could be the situation in Spain with Supply and Stalwart.
Yep, Navantia has ceased work on both. Not that they weren't already behind schedule. Original plan had Supply arriving at FBW in December last year, there had been several delays before COVID. And the media think only Australian ship yards run behind schedule.....:rolleyes:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that is the two spanish ships and a massive delay on the ice breaker too.. All are likely to be in limbo for what? 12 months? Not a great endorsement for overseas builds. Given the state Spain is isn't I can't see things getting better very quickly.

The ice breaker is a real pain, the gov will have to source something else for the next season. Can we make do without the two AOR for 12 months?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Well that is the two spanish ships and a massive delay on the ice breaker too.. All are likely to be in limbo for what? 12 months? Not a great endorsement for overseas builds. Given the state Spain is isn't I can't see things getting better very quickly.

The ice breaker is a real pain, the gov will have to source something else for the next season. Can we make do without the two AOR for 12 months?
The RAN might have to do what the RCN did and still does to a lesser extent now, contract with Allied navies for AOR support.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro

An icebreaker is essential to maintain supplies and The Australian Antarctic Division is searching for an interim ship to fill in for 90 days during the summer research season at the end of the year. If Sirius can be maintained in service longer than planned the RAN may get by as I expect that major naval exercises will most likely to be scaled back over the next 12 months as a result of the current health crisis. During that time I can see the big amphibs with their hospital facilities as the ships most in demand, both locally and in support of Pacific nations.

Tas

Status
Not open for further replies.