Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

A case for Arunta, but Anzac has NZ in it need I remind you. Not letting you claim it completely as a dinkum Aussie name mate. ;) No problem using it as a ships name though.

Takao and ngatimozart like this.
  2. MARKMILES77

MARKMILES77 Member

I noticed in the Dec/Jan DTR that Christopher Pyne has now stated that the Pacific Support Ship will almost certainly be built in Australia.
    That means anything approaching LHD and probably even Choules size is a non starter.
    Intriguing to consider what sort of vessel they may have in mind?
    Probably talking 12,000 tonne and down.

3. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

The latest edition of Defence Technological Review has an article about the Pacific Support ship.

Defence Technology Review : DTR DEC JAN 2019, Page 1

Reinforces what we know about the proposal.
    Not very much.

DTR has many other interesting articles across the services.
    A good read.

Regards S

hauritz and ngatimozart like this.
  4. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

@MrConservative I think that we should start thinking about a suitable punishment for the @hairyman over this. Maybe a fine or he should have to quaff 1 doz cans of warm Waikato or Lion Red? :D

Oberon likes this.
  5. MrConservative

MrConservative Super Moderator Staff Member

I would have difficulty with that as it would be a contravention of Art.16 of the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, particularly with respect to the suggested products used. ;)

6. ngatimozart

Well i am sure that we could find paper work linking it to winston ;)

7. htbrst

htbrst Active Member

Perhaps a sister-ship for HMNZS Canterbury to keep things cheap and cheerful ;):p... While I don't think that's whats on the table, she would fit most of the vague requirements so far.

8. hairyman

hairyman Member

Oy. I have four grandkids that are part Moari. I have been punished enough.

t68 likes this.
  9. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

With the first Attack sub still 15 or more years away the US is already pushing Australia to enter into a deal to develop the next generation of nuclear submarines.
    US pushes next-generation nuclear attack submarine development deal for Australia
    Republican House of Representatives member Michael Conaway, has launched a resolution calling on the US Department of Defense and Navy to work with "five-eyes" partners Australia, Canada, the UK, and New Zealand on an "international joint-build, cost-sharing program".

Given that the development time for submarines can drag on for decades it probably isn't a bad idea to enter into an agreement with the US and start the process as soon as possible.

Of course there is the issue of nuclear power to contend with but Australia will probably have around 30 years to sell the idea of nuclear submarines.

10. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

I can see that really go down well in NZ, CA well see if they still have a submarine program soon as for the US/UK?AU food for thought

11. Rob c

Rob c Active Member

Hell, try to keep track of my offspring, my kids who are English,Irish, French, Scottish, African/American, Mohawk Indian, Moriori and some we haven't confirmed, By the time you get to the grandkids and great grandkids it gets totally out of hand. You could say the ancestors have been around a bit.

12. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I think all you warlike Maori, including a prominent Mod, are set on taking over the RAN thread :eek:

MrConservative likes this.
  13. ngatimozart

At least we've stopped snacking on our enemies for about the last 180 years so there is some progress :D

14. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

The submarine they are talking about would be the SSN(X) which will probably be an evolved version of the Virginia class. They are scheduled to go into production from 2034.

I am not sure whether this would be of interest to Australia as they may be looking at building evolved versions of the Attack class. A lot will depend on how successfully Australia's submarine program will be progressing at that stage and on whether or not we were even interested in the nuclear option.

On the other hand it is becoming increasingly more expensive to develop new technologies and these sorts of international collaboration programs might be the way forward for smaller powers such as Australia.

15. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

The future is probably one unified reactor for the US/UK SSN in the next generation. Fitted for life.
    Australia would probably appreciate being covered by such an arrangement, if it wanted to join it in the future and to benchmark our capability or just allows access to sensors and other tech. I expect this is just a starting point for future talks.

Canada? Subs? Defence spending? Working with the US? Nuclear? Really?
    NZ? Ok, now someone is having a laugh. What is being described is Kiwi kryptonite. I don't see other new outlets running with this exclusive.

16. ngatimozart

Well from the Kiwi POV if it involves nuke subs, the said pollie must've been smoking that there electric puha a.k.a., the wildwood weed. As far as I am aware, it's against the law here for entities to own and operate nuclear reactors on a permanent basis within NZ and it's territorial waters. I don't see any public support to change that in the foreseeable future either unless a viable breakthrough in fusion power happens.

17. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

What ever military practicality and appeal the concept has, it would be too great a political challenge to get traction in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
    Interesting thought bubble but not an idea to push.

Regards S

18. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

Canada will likely never get a replacement for the Victoria class with new SSKs let alone SSNs. Canada will be out of the sub business by the early 2030s if no replacement happens and once gone it will never be restored.

19. Rob c

Rob c Active Member

What Maori ?

20. Meriv90

Meriv90 Member

Underwater view of the damage to the norwegian frigate

seaspear and ngatimozart like this.