Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Milne Bay

Milne Bay Active Member

Great. Looks like the class will be named after historical personages
    Thank you
    MB

2. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

Oxley would have to be a strong contender John Oxley was a former RN Lieutenant and early Exploerer and of course a O Class Sub was named Oxley

StingrayOZ likes this.
  3. Takao

Takao Active Member

There is some nice linkages between an Attack Class SS and historical Attack Classes. And I like most of your names @ASSAIL :)

I still disagree strongly with the Future Frigate names though. There are more appropriate Destroyer names in RAN history that deserve to sail again (looking at you V-, W- and N-Classes especially)...

Sierra Mike likes this.
  4. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

Well this addresses the issue that some people thought the RAN didn't have aggressive names. HMAS Attack is a fairly unsubtle name. on the patrol boats it was a bit ironic, on a 5000+t sub it is more openly menacing. But the A class names is IMO worthy of application to subs has connection and resonance, and with 9 of them a good bank of names, there is history and submarines have used the alliteration before with the muched loved O-boats for example.

The may choose the use later names for late batches to signify differences. The latter attacks started with a B..

So for a first batch, Attack, Advance, Archer, Arrow, Assail, Aware (not sure about Acute or Adriot doable, but less resonance, how often have you used the term adriot in conversation) maybe go with Ardent as a more modern term, but also Barricade, Bayonet, Buccaneer, all great swashbuckling names. There are also some great RN/RAN A and B named ships you could throw in their as well (like Ardent).

Alert (captured by the French 1777, became Alerte, later another ship Alerte was captured by the British and renamed Alert, then recaptured by the french. fantastic history. Very fitting for this new submarine, a merger of French and British and Australian build/technologies etc).
    Ambush (I particularly like this name for a submarine)
    Aggressor
    Alligator
    Awake (RN submarine)
    Artful (RN submarine)
    Agile

Or maybe just add a bit of flavour an call one HMAS Apocalypse. That would be the one with the ambiguous 533mm vertical launch tubes..

Naming the class and the actual boats I think it important at this stage, makes it seem like things are moving and people don't have to be vague about project sea1000 or collins replacement etc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    oldsig127 and Takao like this.
  5. AndyinOz

AndyinOz New Member

I would imagine that given the timeframe for the class to be built, and the numbers of boats to be operational at any one time that the RAN will not necessarily need to resort to names such as Bayonet, Barricade, or Buccaneer. I would assume that would not gel with the 'A boat' vibe either. Possibly a little bit of a shame though HMAS Bombard could possibly get regional neighbours a little antsy. Some might also argue that an HMAS Ambush might be giving the ABC a little undue credit though one never knows.

6. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

@ASSAIL Hopefully you'll be around to sponsor it. :D

Gjwai, spoz and StingrayOZ like this.
  7. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

In addition to the above 9x A names it might be nice to recognise the 3 x RN A class boats which served on the Australia Station based at HMAS Penguin from May 1957 to July 1961 in the 4th Sub Flotilla, Aurochs (although some smart arse will call her “Bollocks”), Andrew and Anchorite. It would fit well with the other A names to make up 12

Tasman, spoz, AndyinOz and 1 other person like this.
  8. oldsig127

oldsig127 Active Member

It's actually "Adroit" (skilful, agile, cunning, ingenious - all highly appropriate to a submarine) and I use it quite frequently, but I take your point. Not everyone has a vocabulary these days

oldsig

StingrayOZ likes this.
  9. oldsig127

oldsig127 Active Member

The news is months old and was discussed here at length. All not just historical personages, but famous navigators and explorers, but the explanation given by Navy at the time was "Australian Regions"

oldsig.

10. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

It is difficult to see any relationship between the Hunter Valley, Flinders Ranges and the Tasman Sea other than they were all named after explorers. Mind you Abel Tasman, Matthew Flinders and John Hunter were all Europeans.

Having said that "Hunter" is a good name for a class of ASW vessels.

11. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

They are regions, you added the qualifiers, they are regions in the same way as names such as Derwent, Swan, Barossa, Kimberley, Pilbara, Fitzroy, Whitsunday, Murray, Mallee, Burdekin and a plethora of other regional names.

12. Takao

Takao Active Member

So is Parramatta, Swan, Warrego, and Yarra. Or Stuart, Vampire, and Vendetta. Or Queenborough, Quadrant, Quality, Quiberon and Quickmatch. Or Napier, Nestor, Nizam, Normal or Nepal.

Grrr......

spoz likes this.
  13. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

To be honest I was hopping the AWD were going to be the Voyager class with Voyager,Vendetta,and Vampire......well maybe the replacements in 35 years time

pgclift and spoz like this.
  14. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

Ex-Navy Group Concerned Over French Built Submarines.

For those who can't get through the paywall here is an excerpt

I suspect that we will be talking about this for decades.

There might still be a few political hurdles for the new Attack Class submarines to negotiate before they commence construction. Pyne seems confident that the French boat is the best option but with most polls seeming to suggest a change of government next year his support might not mean that much.

An Evolved version of the Collins class might have been a good idea 10 years ago but with a 2022-23 deadline for the new sub to commence construction, I don't think there is sufficient time for this. At least not for the first batch.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  15. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Well I'm no Naval architect, but from a layman's position I would assume that Son of Collins and the Shortfin Barracuda would be in an identical situation. The only difference that I see is that the French have a design team being set up using an existing platform for medication and the plans for Son of Collins have languished due to funding cuts under labour both wont have detailed design but have done preliminary work, how far along the Son of Collins got in planning I guess we will never know.

16. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I love the name. I was hoping for a return to the O boat names but this is a really good option. Noting like a name with teeth and history. Now we just have to build them.

ngatimozart likes this.
  17. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

The advocates of the sone of Collins miss the point that unless you are simply plugging the Collins hull to increase length (for which ‘some’ design work has been done) then it is a whole new design and you are starting a few years behind the Naval Group option. The range and internal volume of the the future submarine is a step change from Collins. Add LiO batteries and they should have great persistemce.

A lot of ex defence folk (self included) have their pet projects and being objective is often difficult. I have always tried to focus on what is operationally ....... and politically .... achievable. Not a fan of the French but the deign they have will be unheralded as a conventional submarine. I would love SSNs but that is not going to happen .....at this point in time.

18. SpazSinbad

SpazSinbad Active Member

Not only but also negotiations were concluded on 10th Dec but only revealed now by DefMinPAIN (sorry could not resist). Article written by Nigel Pittaway.

ngatimozart likes this.
  19. hairyman

hairyman Member

When the Anzac frigates are all de-commissioned, Anzac and Arunta will become available as A names. They are both dinkum Aussie names and should be kept in use.

20. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

People are assuming that they are all going to be A class names giving the meaning of "Attack" it may not be necessarily the case and we may see a number of different historily important names such as Vendetta, will have to wait and see.