Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by icelord, Feb 13, 2007.

Share This Page

1. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

With the way the continuous ship building is setup now, trying to build big ships here, would possibly be at the cost of the number of smaller ships (like destroyers/Frigates/Submarines). It is possible that it wouldn't have to be that way, but I think it is likely to happen if you tried it. Specifically only building very large ships, I think is a fickle business unless you have commercial work coming through, and regular like clock work.

I do think Success built at CC dock will be the largest built Australian navy ship.

I see our overseas builds as kind of an aid to countries. Spain is in economic crisis, so rather than just giving them cash, we can order some ships from them. Its not one of the reasons why we are doing it, but it makes for me an easy justification. We may order from Korea, or Vietnam in order to help them out in the future. In Australia's case, I think we have a pretty good relationship with Spain, and I feel that the defence relationship has been useful and flexible over and beyond just box flogging.

I wouldn't expect cockatoo to reopen, even during wartime. Particularly as a new build site.

2. DaveS124

DaveS124 Member

On the note of buildings RAN AORs, here's a pic by Navantia of the first bit of STALWART being dropped into place.

Not messing about!

Attached Files:

Stampede and ngatimozart like this.
  3. NOMAD

NOMAD New Member

Hi All

I am along time follower of this other defense forums not a poster just a learner.
    I have a question for the forum. I have seen a number of renditions/pictures of the new Arafura class OPV's,
    all have been of a vessel with a single funnel and flat landing pad/rear deck, some show a container on the deck.
    A rendition on the ADM site shows a twin funnel vessel with a permanent hanger/enclosed work space with a least two large roller doors.
    Is this the Australian Navy version of the Lurssen designed OPV?

Regards
    Nomad

4. Hazdog

Hazdog Member

Good Evening,

In the near future as the new OPV's start to commission should the RAN look to purchase a small fleet of roughly 12 Eurocopter AS565 Panthers or MH-60S Knighthawks to operate in conjunction with the OPV's and as SAR on board the LHD's?
    -This purchase would prove extremely useful in the case of a 3rd LHD purchase. (as per Juan Carlos/Canberra Class thread)

5. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

G'day @NOMAD Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your contributions to the discussions and please take the time to read the rules. I think that the images so far are stock standard Lursen images, however someone more familiar with the program will correct me if I am wrong.

6. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

From my POV, if you went with helos for OPVs then the Sierras would make the most sense because of the commonality with the Romeos.

Jezza and Hazdog like this.
  7. hauritz

hauritz Active Member

The hanger version you saw was probably one of the other contenders. Probably Fassmer's proposal.
    80m OPV

8. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

http://www.navy.com.au/arafura-class-opv
    If you go to the bottom of the page there is a picture of what the Arafura will look like.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM
  9. John Newman

John Newman Well-Known Member

The photo on the ADM site is wrong.

They are showing a graphic of the larger Lurssen OPV 85 design, not the Lurssen OPV 80 design which is the basis for the Arafura class.

OPV 85 - Lürssen Defence | Lürssen Shipyard - german quality-shipbuilding

Cheers,

10. John Newman

John Newman Well-Known Member

Firstly, the OPVs are not going to operate with an embarked helicopter, either a LUH or MUH, not going to happen.

They will operate with a UAV (or two) such as the Schiebel Camcopter S-100 (or similar), that will be housed in containers which are stored in the mission deck below the flight deck (there are two lifts to move the containers from below to above and visa versa). Certainly they can act as an 'lily pad' for an LUH or MUH from time to time, but based permanently or extended periods, just isn't going to happen.

Secondly, on the question if the RAN could do with more LUH and MUH assets, yes agree, but what and how?

The RAN is currently operating the EC-135 T2+ for HATS, if it was desired or required for the RAN (or ADF as a whole) to have a greater number of LUH, then the obvious solution would be to increase the number of EC-135 T2+, infrastructure is already in place and you are not introducing another airframe type to manage.

For additional MUH, the obviously solution is more MRH-90s (love them or hate them, the MRH-90 is here to stay for a long time in ADF service), again the infrastructure is in place and another airframe type is not being introduced.

Lastly, as for a 3rd LHD, yes great idea, but realistically that is off in la la land, not holding my breath on that one happening.

Cheers,

oldsig127 and Hazdog like this.
  11. Takao

Takao Member

Bingo. Note that the Army are already introducing a new fleet; adding yet another complicates matters.

Of course, there could be strong linkage between RAN LUH needs + Army LUH needs + SO + training - enough to buy one frame. Hmm.........

12. alexsa

alexsa Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

And not a sausage from Navy or Defence media. Seriously this is a big issue and it just does not get the coverage it deserves. I know some think the media black hole stems from concern over the vessel being built overseas but the media around the DDG was horrible

13. Stampede

Stampede Active Member

Agree media is generally defence shy.
    But there are exceptions like today's coverage on a couple of channels regarding the F35 arrival.
    That coverage aside, I try to view the lack of coverage and interest as a healthy aspect of our society.
    Take it to the other extreme would we want chest thumping and patriotic rhetoric of look what we have........... certainly not for me.
    Where the balance lies is hard to say, but Defence Talk exists because there are may out there who do take an interest and want to have a healthy discussion about defence matters. Plus there are also many other defence sites and publications in hard and soft copy.
    Should the public know more about defence and security I.d say yes.
    Who will drive that I cannot say.......Politically it's low on the horizon.

Anyway this a good forum to be apart of and one that has goods standards which I trust furthers it's appeal for others to engage and join.
    Maybe this dialogue is a small way of spreading the word and just as importantly fostering healthy debate.

Look forward to your posts

Regards S

Redlands18 and Takao like this.
  14. oldsig127

oldsig127 Active Member

Yet hardly a word abut their actual arrival in Australia last Thursday. And the ABC at least couldn't find enough space for the number of times they wanted to say "troubled", "controversial", "deemed inferior by experts", "late", "over budget" to allow more than 20 seconds of positive reporting

oldsig, who no longer trusts our ABC the way I once did

old faithful and Hazdog like this.
  15. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

The Sydney Daily Telegraph had quite a good write up with a feel good story about an A380 pilot see the first Hornets arrive and now making the pilgrimage to see the first F35’s. Nearly covered a whole page

16. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

The RAN news sight has a nice piece about the cooperation between the RAN, RNZN, USCG and the PNG Police during the last APEC meeting in Port Moresby.
    The are also some fine pics in the gallery attached to the article.
    HMA Ships Adelaide, Larrakia, Glenelg and HMNZS Otago were all involved plus a mobile force of Port Security Boats from the USCG.

Maritime bonds built during APEC 2018

17. hauritz

hauritz Active Member

18. ASSAIL

Good to see the RAN has announced the name of the new SEA1000 submarines, they will be known as the Attack Class.
    No doubt that in the not to distant future the will be HMAS ASSAIL:D
    There were 9 ‘A’ class PB names, 10 if you include the PNG boat Aitape.
    They were Attack, Adroit, Advance, Archer, Ardent, Arrow, Assail, Acute and Aware. Most have RN Battle Honours.

Navy’s future submarine class named

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM
  19. Milne Bay

Milne Bay Member

Interesting and a good choice. Are the individual boats names yet known?
    Also has the Hunter Class series of names been made public?
    MB

20. ASSAIL

the series of names has not yet been released.
    My post was simply wishful thinking.
    The first three names have been released, Flinders, Hunter and Tasman.