Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ok, now that we figured that much of Aussie transport can run on the byproduct of farts, the object of my comments about blockades was to point out that they have been a historical naval strategy that can and do work. So we know longer need to digress into the dark arts of engineering work around technologies.

Two points that I will make before moving on are:
  • That Aussie & NZ gas extraction is offshore and those platforms will make nice juicy targets.
  • Throughout history, strategies have remained relatively the same, however the tactics have been improved the technologies that are used to implement those tactics and strategies change and in the last 1,000 years that change has been exponential.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • That Aussie & NZ gas extraction is offshore and those platforms will make nice juicy targets.
They will. Though watching a submarine attack Wallumbilla will be the thrill of a lifetime ;-) I'll sit in my boat just "off shore" and watch one of my projects go up.

oldsig

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for getting back on track Robbo, I wasn’t too sure what this thread had become?
Henny Penny predicting the falling of the sky?

It always looks that way when only facts that support one outcome are repeated ad nauseum. While there are genuine and serious issues, the notion that they'll blow up so quickly that *nothing* worthwhile can be done to mitigate, or that we have no capacity to adapt at all is far fetched. Feels like paper fleets again.

oldsig

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The linked fluff piece on the DDG integration is released by the Alliance. Despite that there are some good shots of the ships and their weapon firings.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Bring the discussion back on topic - ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY. If you want to carry on the discussion regarding the non RAN elements feel free to start a new topic in the appropriate thread leave a link here.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
@Hazdog ...the US has had its ground and airforce in constant combat since 9/11, almost 20 years. No other nation has anywhere near that amount of combat experience using modern weaponary. This is a strength as well even though it isn’t combat against near peer adversaries. The real issue is for allies is not US strength so much but political will.

Hazdog

@John Fedup Agreed, my points were that the political will power is not touted as we will defend you, but we will defend if push comes to shove. What direct quote makes you believe that the US is not willing to combat a growing threat in the SSC. Please answer in an appropriate thread as not to heat the mods.

We digress, the $6 Billion in arms for the subs; What weapon will be the likely Anti-Aircraft missile as listed in the linked article?

foxdemon

Bring the discussion back on topic - ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY. If you want to carry on the discussion regarding the non RAN elements feel free to start a new topic in the appropriate thread leave a link here.

Who was the scoundrel that started this digestion in geopolitics and strategy? (Whistles nonchalantly)

Here is a thread for the discussion of Indo Pacific issues:

Indo Pacific strategy

It would also be a good idea for a thread on naval power basics, in the vain of the air power thread. I leave such a task to a suitably experienced defence pro.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Who was the scoundrel that started this digestion in geopolitics and strategy? (Whistles nonchalantly)

Here is a thread for the discussion of Indo Pacific issues:

Indo Pacific strategy
Thanks. I've moved most of the appropriate posts across
It would also be a good idea for a thread on naval power basics, in the vain of the air power thread. I leave such a task to a suitably experienced defence pro.
Hmmm. Good idea. The ideal DefPro to write is not active on here at the moment. :(

JBRobbo

The linked fluff piece on the DDG integration is released by the Alliance. Despite that there are some good shots of the ships and their weapon firings.

Along with the Alvaro de Bazan's, they've got to be the best looking large surface combatants in the world, shame we didn't put a 2nd Phalanx where the 2nd navigation radar is mounted though to differentiate them a little. On another note, does anyone know of any progress on the 3x Phalanx mounts for the Canberra LHD's that were meant to be installed last year in addition to their proposed locations? The new Turkish LHD based off same design gives a good indication as to where they would be fitted but this seems to be very weak on the port side.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
On another note, does anyone know of any progress on the 3x Phalanx mounts for the Canberra LHD's that were meant to be installed last year in addition to their proposed locations? T
As reported here in the middle of last year, they're to be fitted during her first refit period. In 2019. So, not yet and we can save ourselves a bout of hair pulling over delays.

oldsig

JBRobbo

As reported here in the middle of last year, they're to be fitted during her first refit period. In 2019. So, not yet and we can save ourselves a bout of hair pulling over delays.

oldsig
Was not aware. New member. Where are they being fitted or is that still only speculation?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Agreed, my points were that the political will power is not touted as we will defend you, but we will defend if push comes to shove. What direct quote makes you believe that the US is not willing to combat a growing threat in the SSC. Please answer in an appropriate thread as not to heat the mods.
See Indo pacific thread for reply

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Was not aware. New member. Where are they being fitted or is that still only speculation?
No idea where the mountings will be, but one guess was that they will replace existing Typhoon mounts. I'm not sure of that, as the two types have different roles (despite the latest Phalanx being improved for dealing with swarming boat attacks)

oldsig

Redlands18

No idea where the mountings will be, but one guess was that they will replace existing Typhoon mounts. I'm not sure of that, as the two types have different roles (despite the latest Phalanx being improved for dealing with swarming boat attacks)

oldsig
The Phalanx is probably a bit of an overkill for a shot across the Bow. There would also be advantages to getting your CIWS hgh up on the Island if they can be fitted. The only only other place is the Flight Deck.

seaspear

The Juan Carlos is stated to have two sea sparrow and one vertical launch system ,is there room for this to be added to the Canberra class ships if required

Status
Not open for further replies.