Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And the last couple of DEs served alongside the Anzac for a year or 2 so you can throw in the Mk 6 113mm as well.
Well there you go, forgotten all about them... I think the Fremantle Class may have had an 81mm mortar at one point too, didn’t it? Or was that an even earlier class of PB?

I have only the vaguest recollection of that, well before my time…

Stampede

True, but in all likelihood the same weapon will be replacing the DSB30 mount on the Huon’s, so it will be zero sum game in terms of overall numbers of orphan weapon systems, and besides if it is fitted to multiple classes of ships, it can’t really be an orphan system I suppose.

In any case, RAN will have had a significant consolidation of it’s naval gunnery systems with the retirement of 76mm from FFG (though still operated at RAN training schools) the impending retirement of DSB30 and the eventual retirement of Mk.45 Mod 2 from the early ANZAC’s leaving RAN overall with small arms systems, 12.7mm Mini-Typhoon, 20mm Phalanx, 25mm Typhoon, a likely 40 / 57 / 76mm gun for the Arafura Class / MCM / Hydrographic Class and Mk.45 Mod 4 127mm for the Hobarts and Hunter Classes.

I wouldn’t think 3 minor and 2 major gunnery systems, plus small arms is too extravagant for a modern Navy?

At one point in time, RAN was operating 12.7mm, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 76mm and 127mm guns on various ships…
A good overview of what we have.
A modern navy should have a range of calibers.

Certainly a heavy machine gun - RAN - 12.7mm
A main gun - RAN - 127mm
Something in the middle - RAN - 25mm / 30mm / ? mm
CIWS - RAN - rapid fire 20mm (Suggest dated and to be replaced with soft kill and short range SAM's)

Certainly now's a good opportunity to consolidate the middle tier.

So take your pick.
30 mm is popular internationally and will probably be the path going forward. ( Hunter Class )

However is this the future mount for the OPV's?
For a constabulary vessel it would suffice, but Navy selected a 40 mm for a reason.
RAN logic suggests that continuing with a 25 mm mount would not suffice and that was before the recent cancellation of Leonardo's 40 mm offering.
What now!
Not wanting to read to much in the few words out from defence, do we consolidate with a middle tier cannon for the OPV's or give them an orphan product.

Maybe part of that answer is, can the OPV's have two weapon systems?
A mid size cannon ( 30mm ) and a small something else.

The Typhoon mount is a relatively light weight system and could in all probability be mounted forward of the intended 40mm location, thus now leaving this space open for something else.
Space and weight permitting.

Two weapons covering a range of contingency, rather than one trying to do it all.

Not a battleship, just an OPV that provides greater flexibility to free up the majors to do what they do.

Cheers

Regards S

Last edited:

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Planned fit for the Arafuras is one 40mm and two 12.7mm. Bit of doubt about which 40, but personally I would go, in fact would always have gone for, the BAE 40mm Mk 4 that is to be fitted to the T31s. Looks like a very versatile weapon: Bofors 40 Mk4 Naval Gun

Stampede

Planned fit for the Arafuras is one 40mm and two 12.7mm. Bit of doubt about which 40, but personally I would go, in fact would always have gone for, the BAE 40mm Mk 4 that is to be fitted to the T31s. Looks like a very versatile weapon: Bofors 40 Mk4 Naval Gun
Could you see the 40mm caliber as the future middle tier cannon instead of something smaller?

OPV's plus the rest of the fleet.

Regards S

OldNavy63

Well there you go, forgotten all about them... I think the Fremantle Class may have had an 81mm mortar at one point too, didn’t it? Or was that an even earlier class of PB?

FCPB originally had 1 x 81mm mortar aft but that was later removed. I was not a QMG but I heard an Immediate Action for a misfire was a prompt removal of the hopefully dud round and lobbing it over the side.

The Attack class patrol boats were fitted with a rocket flare thingy used for illumination flares.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Yes, the Attack Class mounted the 81mm aft and it was often mounted in tandem with a 50cal.

Milne Bay

Is there any news on the repairs to HMAS Adelaide?
It has been around a week or so since the problems appeared and I haven't seen any progress reports of late
MB

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is there any news on the repairs to HMAS Adelaide?
It has been around a week or so since the problems appeared and I haven't seen any progress reports of late
MB
I don't have time to search for you, but there was a post on one of the forums from a serving member on (probably) Saturday detailing how long the outage lasted and the extent to which it had been fixed. My recollection is that she was fully restored in 4-5 days from the incident

But...my memory isn't so great.

oldsig

Milne Bay

I don't have time to search for you, but there was a post on one of the forums from a serving member on (probably) Saturday detailing how long the outage lasted and the extent to which it had been fixed. My recollection is that she was fully restored in 4-5 days from the incident

But...my memory isn't so great.

oldsig
Many thanks - I did a google search before posting the question but the latest that I could find was five days old and it referred to civilian contractors arriving to inspect the damage and nothing further.
Cheers
MB

OldNavy63

Many thanks - I did a google search before posting the question but the latest that I could find was five days old and it referred to civilian contractors arriving to inspect the damage and nothing further.
Cheers
MB
I understand the comms delay from HMAS Adelaide is due to her carrier pigeons having to go into quarantine in QLD for 14 days before they can carry on to HQJOC in Bungendore to report. The birdies on Adelaide are unavailable for comment.

OldNavy63

Hopefully a " stool pigeon " breaks silence to report.!

Appologies.............Dad joke

Cheers S
When a ‘stool’ pigeon breaks silence one should always get the techies to check the sewage treatment system as well.

Thankfully the carrier pigeons have got through - a few images posted on the Defence Image gallery today. HMAS Supply departed Sydney today en route Tonga.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Aren't the LHD's powered by electrically driven podded outboards which also act as the rudders?
If there is no power generation, then the ship cannot move or even maneuver.
For back-up power to also be out means something very substantial has failed.
Basic ventilation on the lower decks without power would also be difficult.
Doesn't look good
MB
Maybe the RAN needs to carry a few outboard engines from the Mexeflotes and bolt them on the edge of the bottom ramp!

Just a thought, ha ha!

5444F6A9-F9EE-44B8-9DD0-5FE46555283E.jpeg

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wow
This is something we as a nation will have to think about, some of those boats are from the 60's
On the other hand may be able to get a cheap hull, I have no idea on how many dives a sub hull can do though
It's always a good idea to do a check and see how many times a link has already been posted before clogging things up further. This was posted as recently as 16 hours ago, three or four posts earlier in this thread

oldsig