Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If I recall Manly Ferry's have right of way in Sydney Harbour over powered ships.

I remember doing a 3 ship entry into Sydney Harbour, one of those up at 5am cause we want the inside of the ship to look clean as we pass people 2km on the harbour who cannot see into the ship sort of deals.

As we approached Bradleys Head, some North shore yuppie in his kayak decided 7am was the perfect time to cross to Watson as 3 RAN ships plowed down the channel. No amount of horns or flashing light couls break his stride.

I often wonder if he's still alive of the Manly Ferry called him out on his morning routine and sunk the damn 1 man coffin.
Large vessels constrained by draft, vessels under pilotage and Naval Vessels still have right of way over yachts, super yachts fluffing about and Ferries. Sail boats have to give way to just about everything .............. good thing given the way some of these things are handled (as you note).

Rules for boating on Sydney Harbour | NSW Government
Operating guidelines for superyachts on Sydney Harbour | NSW Government

Meriv

I'm not Australian we got the F-16 in our case :) because we skipped a generation between F-104 and EF and EF was arriving late.

swerve

Super Moderator
With a lease of 24 RAF Tornado ADVs before that, to fill the gap caused by air defence F-104S wearing out before Typhoon was ready.

The first lease wasn't due to Typhoon being late.

But we're on the wrong continent.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I also noticed that NAVY ONE sailed with the same weaponry as the Arafura
The replacement for the LCM8s will likely be better armed. Two mini typhoons and two pintle mount 50cals, plus what ever they are carrying. That's a thought, I wonder if the vehicles being carried by the LCMs could fire their various weapons while aboard? 30mm, Spike, 120mm, 155mm, AMRAAM? ;)

Redlands18

The replacement for the LCM8s will likely be better armed. Two mini typhoons and two pintle mount 50cals, plus what ever they are carrying. That's a thought, I wonder if the vehicles being carried by the LCMs could fire their various weapons while aboard? 30mm, Spike, 120mm, 155mm, AMRAAM? ;)
Stick a NASAMS on the Arafura Flight Deck and there you go, a CIWS;)

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I also noticed that NAVY ONE sailed with the same weaponry as the Arafura
Arafura has not sailed anywhere yet; she is some time from both sea trials and commissioning. We will have to wait and see what she is armed with on commissioning; she can’t trial weapons before that as she is effectively a merchant ship up to that point.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Arafura has not sailed anywhere yet; she is some time from both sea trials and commissioning. We will have to wait and see what she is armed with on commissioning; she can’t trial weapons before that as she is effectively a merchant ship up to that point.
Space and weight for a mk 110 57mm. Could a nice addition considering the ammo options, including course corrected rounds.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Space and weight for a mk 110 57mm. Could a nice addition considering the ammo options, including course corrected rounds.
That would be nice, some options with guided rounds too (MAD-FIRES, ALAMO etc), if sufficient sensor capability could be carried on the vessel?

Not sure that Terma 2D radar is up to that sort of job though…

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That would be nice, some options with guided rounds too (MAD-FIRES, ALAMO etc), if sufficient sensor capability could be carried on the vessel?

Not sure that Terma 2D radar is up to that sort of job though…
CEAFAR is scalable and already integrated with 9vl. It could even use a rotating set based on the Army config.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
CEAFAR is scalable and already integrated with 9vl. It could even use a rotating set based on the Army config.
Interesting it wasn’t chosen for the OPV’s, LHD’s or the Supply Class, even in it’s lighter, two x two fixed plate format, or the rotating sensor, per NASAMS II?

I’m guessing it ain’t cheap…

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting it wasn’t chosen for the OPV’s, LHD’s or the Supply Class, even in it’s lighter, two x two plate format, or the rotating sensor, per NASAMS II?

I’m guessing it ain’t cheap…
Or a case of the government going cheap and what was on offer from the contractor. Just look at the gun on the OPV, it was what the contractor offered and they apparently selected it on price.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I’m not sure CEAFAR is that scalable but in any case the Terma Scanter 6002 would be fine.

Stampede

My understanding is there is still a lot of internal fit left for NUSHIP Arafura.
I would appreciate if anyone has an update re sea trials and eventual commissioning.

Regarding the change in selection of the main gun.
I'd guess whatever is selected would be a good sale for someone.
At least 12 systems plus maybe more if used on the MCM and Survey vessels.
Not something that could be purchased off the shelf and would certainly take time to manufacture.

I suspect the early build Arafura's will sail with the Typhoon 25 mm for some time before being upgraded.

This is disappointing.

Regards S

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My understanding is there is still a lot of internal fit left for NUSHIP Arafura.
I would appreciate if anyone has an update re sea trials and eventual commissioning.

Regarding the change in selection of the main gun.
I'd guess whatever is selected would be a good sale for someone.
At least 12 systems plus maybe more if used on the MCM and Survey vessels.
Not something that could be purchased off the shelf and would certainly take time to manufacture.

I suspect the early build Arafura's will sail with the Typhoon 25 mm for some time before being upgraded.

This is disappointing.

Regards S
There are two logical ways forward.

First is a non penetrating mount of up to 40mm calibre than could conceivably go on to replace the in service Typhoons with a more capable system.

Second option is a penetrating mount, likely 57mm Bofors Mk 2 / Mk-110, or maybe even a lightweight 76mm with Dart etc.

Then there's the likely eventuality of yet another stand alone, orphan systems with its own unique logistics and training overheads.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There are two logical ways forward.

First is a non penetrating mount of up to 40mm calibre than could conceivably go on to replace the in service Typhoons with a more capable system.

Second option is a penetrating mount, likely 57mm Bofors Mk 2 / Mk-110, or maybe even a lightweight 76mm with Dart etc.

Then there's the likely eventuality of yet another stand alone, orphan systems with its own unique logistics and training overheads.
True, but in all likelihood the same weapon will be replacing the DSB30 mount on the Huon’s, so it will be zero sum game in terms of overall numbers of orphan weapon systems, and besides if it is fitted to multiple classes of ships, it can’t really be an orphan system I suppose.

In any case, RAN will have had a significant consolidation of it’s naval gunnery systems with the retirement of 76mm from FFG (though still operated at RAN training schools) the impending retirement of DSB30 and the eventual retirement of Mk.45 Mod 2 from the early ANZAC’s leaving RAN overall with small arms systems, 12.7mm Mini-Typhoon, 20mm Phalanx, 25mm Typhoon, a likely 40 / 57 / 76mm gun for the Arafura Class / MCM / Hydrographic Class and Mk.45 Mod 4 127mm for the Hobarts and Hunter Classes.

I wouldn’t think 3 minor and 2 major gunnery systems, plus small arms is too extravagant for a modern Navy?

At one point in time, RAN was operating 12.7mm, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 76mm and 127mm guns on various ships…

Redlands18

True, but in all likelihood the same weapon will be replacing the DSB30 mount on the Huon’s, so it will be zero sum game in terms of overall numbers of orphan weapon systems, and besides if it is fitted to multiple classes of ships, it can’t really be an orphan system I suppose.

In any case, RAN will have had a significant consolidation of it’s naval gunnery systems with the retirement of 76mm from FFG (though still operated at RAN training schools) the impending retirement of DSB30 and the eventual retirement of Mk.45 Mod 2 from the early ANZAC’s leaving RAN overall with small arms systems, 12.7mm Mini-Typhoon, 20mm Phalanx, 25mm Typhoon, a likely 40 / 57 / 76mm gun for the Arafura Class / MCM / Hydrographic Class and Mk.45 Mod 4 127mm for the Hobarts and Hunter Classes.

I wouldn’t think 3 minor and 2 major gunnery systems, plus small arms is too extravagant for a modern Navy?

At one point in time, RAN was operating 12.7mm, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 76mm and 127mm guns on various ships…
And the last couple of DEs served alongside the Anzac for a year or 2 so you can throw in the Mk 6 113mm as well.